Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

position and/or stance

4 posters

Go down

position and/or stance Empty position and/or stance

Post by joy2shoot Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:15 am

I like to review the fundamentals often and have read on occasion where the author uses the word position and stance interchangeably while others say they are two different things.  I am of the mindset they are one and the same.  However, I am open to understanding why they are different.  Thanks.

joy2shoot

Back to top Go down

position and/or stance Empty Re: position and/or stance

Post by LenV Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:58 am

They are two different things. You can have the perfect stance and be in the wrong position or vise versa. Stance is about the spread and placement of your feet. If you have great stance and raise your pistol and find you are aiming three targets over then you have to change the position of your feet. That's pretty simplified but hope that helps.
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by AllAces Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:04 pm

IMHO
Stance is the location of your feet, relative to your shoulders. For example, if you are facing the shooting bench, are your feet located approximately the width of your shoulders.

Position is where your body is positioned relative to the shooting bench.  For example, if you are facing the bench, which I will consider to be zero degrees, how far in degrees do you turn left or right to achieve your shooting position. A 90 degree turn would have you facing down the firing line with your raised shooting arm pointing at the target.

I try to achieve a stance that is stable and comfortable.  I set my position (approx. 45 degrees left) so that when I raise the pistol with my right hand my natural aim is at the center of the target. Position will also be determined by whether your are left or right eye dominant.
AllAces
AllAces

Back to top Go down

Post by joy2shoot Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:01 pm

So, in simple terms, position is making sure your stance is pointed in the right direction?  Or is there something else about position that I don't understand?

joy2shoot

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:19 pm

Position and stance go together. I consider them interchangeable.  They describe an essential thing about precision shooting.  Context might make a little difference.  But don't sweat it.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down