Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Load for new LB Wadcutter

5 posters

Go down

Load for new LB Wadcutter  Empty Load for new LB Wadcutter

Post by Magload Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:31 pm

I will have my new LB Wadcutter this coming week and want to get some reloads ready.  I been shooting 200gr X Treme Plated SWCs over 3.6gr of BE at 1.250 COAL.  Are these going to be ok in the new gun or am I going to need a lighter recoil spring.  My Labradar says they are at 633fps HV and 625fps AV.  I do have Missouri 185gr Hi tech coated SWCs on order.  I planed on loading these over the same 3.6gr of BE as per another post on this forum.  Any thoughts on this will be appreciated.  I have not shot any matches yet but shoot indoors 4 to 5 times a week.    Don
Magload
Magload

Back to top Go down

Load for new LB Wadcutter  Empty Re: Load for new LB Wadcutter

Post by CR10X Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:50 am

You will probably get a lot of differing opinions.  Make your own choice, but here are my comments on a new LB and getting it running consistently. 

Les Baer is generally a "hard fit" gun and the lockup is pretty tight.  Generally (and I might use that word often because there are few absolutes in bullseye except trigger control and sight alignment), it will take some break in to get it working easily.  Its just a different concept when building a bullseye gun.  

If you want to have some accurate loads and break in a new LB, I would highly recommend staying away from plated bullets. Your probably not going to like the groups and spend some time cleaning the barrel before shooting lead bullets later.  And you will generally need to clean the barrel well (especially a new barrel) when switching from jacketed to lead and back, for ultimate accuracy and reduction of potential leading problems. So for breaking in, I generally stay with jacketed bullets until the gun if functioning well, then move on to checking out lead loads. 

(I know you will read that some shooters switch without any problems, but you can get to that later when the barrel is broken in some as well.   With new barrels, I like to shoot some jacketed and then clean well and shoot some lead, to see if the barrel has a preference and if there are leading issues.  Most barrels can go either way, but I've had some that show a distinct preference.) 

OK, enough background. Your mentioned loads are probably going to be way too weak to get much of a break in going.  Shoot a box or two of good 230 FMJ (and its a good way to get once fired brass).

Then clean well and see how the LB works with a good standard Nosler / Zero 185 JHP bullseye load. Not a minimum, whimpy load, but something along the lines of 4.5 to 4.7 gr of VV 310 or equivalent.  If still too tight, shoot another box of 230 FMJ.  Once you get consistent operation with the above VV310 loads, then you can start dropping the powder charge and working on some good lead loads.  I use 3.85 gr VV 310 with either 200 gr. or 180 gr LSW Oregon Trail SWC bullets.  

Alternatively to the Nosler is Federal 185 SWC match if you can find it and afford it.  Personally, for breaking in, I'd prefer something with a little more power, but that ammo is also a good test to find feeding problems as well. 

Good luck and have fun shooting.

Cecil

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Post by Aprilian Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:28 am

Cecil,

Is your load of 185/200gr Oregon Trail bullet over 3.85gr N310 for long line or short?

Same question for your 185 JHP load which seems to look like a long line load to me.

Thanks,

Ian
Aprilian
Aprilian

Back to top Go down

Post by rich.tullo Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:18 pm

I would say if its a frame mount, it has a #13 recoil spring. for break in 4.0 BE for the first 200 to 500 rounds and then 3.5 to 3.6 should be fine.
rich.tullo
rich.tullo

Back to top Go down

Post by Magload Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:07 pm

Thanks every one for your input.  I talked to les Baer CS yesterdahyand they said Federal Premium 185 FMJ SWcs for break in.  I am going to run a 100 of those through it then 100 200gr Plated SWC over 4.6gr BE I will try the 200gr with 3.6 BE and see how the gun functions.  I do have a 12.5lb spring that just came in today if it need it for the 3.6gr loads.  Also got a 9lb spring but don't think I want to go that low even with a shock buffer.  Will post results tomorrow night.  Pistol arrives tomorrow and I am going to take it out to the Jeep and clean it as they don't allow gun cleaning at the indoor range.  Then mount my Matchdot II and take it in and shoot the heck out of it.  Don
Magload
Magload

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:14 pm

Cecil,

Is your load of 185/200gr Oregon Trail bullet over 3.85gr N310 for long line or short?

Same question for your 185 JHP load which seems to look like a long line load to me.

Thanks,

Ian

Ian:

200 gr. for 50 yards and 180 gr. for 25 yards.  Same powder charge and seating /  crimp settings for both, just put in one bullet or the other.  The 200 gr. will actually have a slightly higher velocity due to less case capacity.  You can bump it up 0.05 gr. to 3.9 if needed.  

I use the JHP load for both, as for my guns the faster it goes the smaller the group and I don't mind the recoil / recovery as I shoot a frame mount.  

Good luck 

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Post by spursnguns Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:49 pm

Hello Magload,

I admit it, I'm a big Les Baer fanboy.  After owning a dozen or so; I know the good, the bad and the ugly.  As an aside, CR10X's advice to you is very good.

For your break in, I personally would recommend....
Do what the manufacturer says, don't clean it and keep it liberally douched with Break-Free CLP for 500 rounds,
250 rounds of 230 grain hardball (minimum 750 feet per second),
and then 250 rounds of 185 grain Nosler/Zero jacketted hollow point (minimum 775 feet per second, i. e. 4.2 grains VV310).

Use whatever recoil spring gives you the proper function based on where the empties land.  Start with a sixteen pound spring and move down in one pound increments from there.

Dump the plated bullets.  Dump the shock buffer.

Either way, good luck and let us know how it works out.

Jim
spursnguns
spursnguns

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down