Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How often do you clean your Nelson?

+2
jglenn21
Tim:H11
6 posters

Go down

How often do you clean your Nelson? Empty How often do you clean your Nelson?

Post by Tim:H11 12/26/2016, 7:37 am

How often do you clean your Nelson .22 conversion? I'm now running an 8# recoil spring and a 20# hammer spring. I was running a 19# hammer spring but the firing pin strike looked shallow and light. Still detonated but the 20# added some extra whack to it that made me feel better. Necessary? Probably not but it's a peace at mind thing.

Any way I get a round feed and the gun goes click. Not bang. I look at the rim of the casing and it's either got no strike or ghost of an image for a strike. I take the gun apart and do the plunk test and it fails so I clean the gun till it passes. Put it back together and it runs fine. But I'm finding that the chamber needs to be spotless before I start a shooting session so I can have a no alibi session. My Ruger (not a primary gun used in this sport for me though I love it) hasn't been cleaned in over a year! Runs like the energizer bunny! 

Are the Nelsons tight chambered? Is this normal? How often do you clean your Nelson?

Back to top Go down

How often do you clean your Nelson? Empty Re: How often do you clean your Nelson?

Post by jglenn21 12/26/2016, 8:05 am

I pretty much clean my Nelsons chamber after every match.. don't mess with the bore until every 3-4 matches and then only run a patch through it to examine it.

clean up the face of the bolt and relube with white grease(SFL-0)
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

How often do you clean your Nelson? Empty Re: How often do you clean your Nelson?

Post by Chris Miceli 12/26/2016, 8:21 am

Chamber is by bob marvel some kind of modified bentz

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by farmboy 12/26/2016, 10:26 am

It might not be a chamber issue. My Nelson did the same thing. I had just a slight bit of buildup on the firing pin/in the tube that was just enough to cause issues like you describe.  I started pushing the firing pin forward and brushing it off at the end of shooting and I have had no more issues.
farmboy
farmboy

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 12/26/2016, 11:08 am

same thing happened to a friend with his Nelson.. keeping the firing pin and channel clean is a must it seems
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 12/26/2016, 11:14 am

The Nelson barrels all use the same finish reamer. The difference is the depth of cut into the chamber / rifling. The best match chamber the bullet engraves into the rifling when chambered. Free pistols the bullet engraves hard. On a semi auto not as hard because it still has to function.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli 12/26/2016, 11:28 am

Jon Eulette wrote:The Nelson barrels all use the same finish reamer. The difference is the depth of cut into the chamber / rifling. The best match chamber the bullet engraves into the rifling when chambered. Free pistols the bullet engraves hard. On a semi auto not as hard because it still has to function.
Jon
That why they are more accurate ? I look at loath and Walter and their free pistol barrels are tighter bore and groove as well

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by kjanracing 12/26/2016, 7:56 pm

I clean my Johnson more often than I clean my Nelson.
kjanracing
kjanracing

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down