Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where To Find 7 Points?

3 posters

Go down

Where To Find 7 Points? Empty Where To Find 7 Points?

Post by dsandula 4/16/2017, 5:30 am

I finished my teams season in 2015 with a 251.05 average.  I finished the 2016 season with a 263.61 average.  To do this, I listened to advice from Jon Eulette.  I also began using the exercises in the USMC Pistol Team Workbook (or getting all 10 in the black, then all 10 centered in the black dot, then all 10 centered in the black dot within time limits exercises.)  I did this work at the 25 yard line, none at the 50.  I live in Michigan and plan on using the spring to re practice these exercises at the 25 and then move on to the 50.

I need 7 more points to reach a 270 average for next season.  So, I need to maintain and build my skill level.  Most points gained last season were at the 25 yard line.  Some slow fire improvement occurred.

Any other advice others might have for me?

dsandula

Back to top Go down

Where To Find 7 Points? Empty Re: Where To Find 7 Points?

Post by CR10X 4/16/2017, 5:43 am

My personal opinion: 

Train more at 50 or at 25 with a B16 target, and work on slow fire.  Within each class, I found that getting a point on the long line was worth getting 2 points on the short line. (Eventually, there are not that many more points to get at the short line.) AND better consistency at the long line will pay off with more X's at the short line.  

So, for training to get to the next class, work on the long line shots.  Learn to see what a good shot looks like before it goes off and repeat it.  Learn when to let the shot complete and when to start over. Learn to call the shots completely (from acquiring the dot / sights and operating the trigger and until the shot is complete).  Train by calling the shot and marking it on a target beside you on the bench, then scope the shot and mark it (compare the call with the actual).  Eventually you will see the timing of your minimal wobble and then work to getting the shot within that time frame.  (Anything longer is wasting time, ammo and points and reinforcing a less than optimum performance.)

Dryfire every day if possible but only 10 to 20 minutes of real CONCENTRATION).  Just pulling the trigger for an hour ain't productive dryfiring and could be working against the mental state we need for shooting.  Work (train) on some specific part of the shot process and really concentrate on that; don't just stand there pulling the trigger the same way and expect to get better (unless you just want a stronger flinch).  Train on just seeing the sights, trigger operation consistency, grip, etc., etc., individually.  Find one part for each session and work on that part. 

Lastly, study the good shots.  Review everything mentally about that shot, what you saw, felt, timing, calling it, recovery, etc.  Quit asking what happened on the less than acceptable shots and start asking what happened on the good ones.  

Just a couple of thoughts in the morning.  

CR

CR10X

chopper likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by bdas 4/17/2017, 5:12 pm

What are your scores (generally) for slow, timed, and rapid?  Looking at scores from past competitions, to average 90-ish, most people seem to be around 85 slow fire, 94 timed fire, and 91 rapid fire (more or less).  If you're way off those numbers, it would indicate what you need to work on most.

If you have good shot (or string), and then a bad shot (or string), can you tell what the difference was?  If so, please describe the difference.  If not, you need to work on learning to make that distinction, as CR10X described in his response.

bdas

http://guns.dsttr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by dsandula 4/17/2017, 7:31 pm

Very good advice CR10X!  Thanks for taking the time to type it out.  Certainly a good plan to reach my goal.  I'll print it and keep it with my bullseye data.

dsandula

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down