Stuff I learned at my first outdoor 2700 match

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Stuff I learned at my first outdoor 2700 match

Post by fpk on 5/28/2017, 5:02 pm

Just finished my first registered match and it was a full 2700.  Highlight of the day was a 100-5x target in 22 timed fire, the rest were (cough) not as good as that.  Still I had fun, and there are a few things that I have learned between practicing for the past month and a half and at the match.

1) Practicing at 50ft really doesn't prepare you for 25/50 yards
The 50ft Reduced Targets (B-2 and B-3) are great, and have helped a lot in my practice since the range I have easily available is indoor with just about 50ft.  Unfortunately, for me, shooting the full outdoor 25/50 yard targets (B-6 and B-8 ) was a big adjustment.  All of the same things apply, but it was just a lot more challenging.

2) 2700 is a long, long match
When I go to the range to practice, I normally spend an hour or so, and shoot less than 100 rounds overall.  I have some goal, which I can normally work through in that amount of time/rounds.  That is a far cry from the 270 shots you need to complete a full match. During the 45 portion, I was definitely getting fatigued and my scores reflect this. What I learned is that I needed to have a few practice sessions that lasted hours, so would be prepared.  Of course it didn't help that it was 93 degrees and 80%+ humidity, but that is "just getting started" weather here Texas.

3) You don't need much, but there are a few essentials
I am still gathering the all of the stuff that people normally have at the match, so I had just the basics: guns, ammo, magazines, ECI (empty chamber indicator), eyes and ears. This worked out fine, except for a few things that I didn't really understand ahead of time: a stapler and ivory target patches.  You will need the stapler to put on a center target (B-6/8C) on the board for every target you shoot, and you need the ivory patches to cover the holes you shoot outside of the center target.  Just an extra $15 and I would have been much more prepared and self sufficient.  Thank goodness for one of the experienced guys at the match -- he really help me get through it, *and* was happy to share his stapler & patches.  (I'll need to buy an extra box, since i'm sure that I used a sizable portion out of his!)

fpk

Back to top Go down

Re: Stuff I learned at my first outdoor 2700 match

Post by Magload on 5/28/2017, 5:40 pm

I took patches but they were the wrong color but found out that masking tape works better.  I was told on here that the patches can fall off and also with all I need tape is cheaper.

Way to go making it through a 2700 for the first match I don't think I can make it through one.  My right knee hurts bad after the RF match.  I was beat after 180 shots but at my age I guess I should be happy with that.

Good job with the cleaned target I still am trying to break 91. LOL   Don
Magload

Back to top Go down

Post by fc60 on 5/28/2017, 6:58 pm

Greetings,

Forget the Ivory pasters. Go to your local store and by a roll of 3M masking tape.

Handy for pasting holes and a small piece on your shooting glasses is helpful also.

Cheers,

Dave

fc60

Back to top Go down

Post by Magload on 5/28/2017, 7:25 pm

I don't know if mine is 3M if was what they were selling at the range.  What I like about it is you can see the scoring lines through it.  When i practice I may have 90 holes in a target and a big share of them get covered with tape.  Don
Magload

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli on 5/28/2017, 7:44 pm

If you keep them on the repair center you don't need pasters. I stop carrying them a while ago
Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by Magload on 5/28/2017, 8:01 pm

Chris Miceli wrote:If you keep them on the repair center you don't need pasters. I stop carrying them a while ago
That is only when shooting matches.  I repair the heck out of a repair center when I practice.  Sounds like the OP is not going to be using up his patches very fast with cleaning a target.  BTW I even patch the black but those patches last me a long time.  Don
Magload

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar on 5/28/2017, 11:20 pm

Yeah, you need to bring pasters or masking tape, in case MA or HM shooters need to use them Embarassed
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by rreid on 5/28/2017, 11:32 pm

If you've only shot indoors, there are a few extra things you need for a 2700. Just off the top of my head,
Stapler
Staples
Clipboard
Pen
Pasters
Scoring overlay
Stool
Water bottle
Snacks
Insect repellent
Sunscreen
Raincoat

http//www.starreloaders.com/edhall/lists.html
rreid

Back to top Go down

Post by lonegunman on 5/29/2017, 8:54 am

john bickar wrote:Yeah, you need to bring pasters or masking tape, in case MA or HM shooters need to use them Embarassed

So true, the difference between a Master and an Expert?   An Expert carries pasters,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,A Master borrows pasters.
lonegunman

Back to top Go down

Post by gjconlon777 on 5/29/2017, 9:12 pm

I learned that I like 1800s a lot better, but then, I'm getting older.
gjconlon777

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley on 5/29/2017, 10:17 pm

I look forward to the day I no longer have to carry pasters, might be 10 years though lol. On a good day I'm down to using 10 or so. I shot with the AMU guys at Columbia one day an even they occasionally miss the repair center, they usually just tear off a section of the last target and staple over the target.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by Lightfoot on 5/30/2017, 10:26 am

Paul,

I enjoyed shooting with you Sunday.  You can bring pasters next time.  I'll try not to use them.

Congrats on that 100/5.  It took me 7-8 months to get my first in a match.  I shot two cleans back to back but haven't repeated it since.
Lightfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by fpk on 5/30/2017, 1:01 pm

Thanks man. It was a blast and thank you again for helping me through the first match!

fpk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum