Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Air pistol for practice

+6
LenV
zanemoseley
joem5636
jglenn21
Magload
KBarth
10 posters

Go down

Air pistol for practice Empty Air pistol for practice

Post by KBarth 6/30/2017, 3:26 pm

Does anyone use this for indoor practice?  If so, is it a decent option or should I go for something else?Air pistol for practice 20170612
KBarth
KBarth

Back to top Go down

Air pistol for practice Empty Re: Air pistol for practice

Post by Magload 6/30/2017, 4:15 pm

I have that one it was one of my first.  By the time you or at least I pump it 10 times a shot I am to shaky to shoot it.  It is a nice pistol but I would stick to the single pump ones for target shooting.  Don
Magload
Magload

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 6/30/2017, 6:30 pm

if you are looking for a starter AP that can be fairly competitive look at the Air Venturi V10 or FAS 6004..
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by joem5636 6/30/2017, 6:35 pm

I use a Crosman 1701p, but same idea. The Gamo targets are good because they are cardboard and don't tear like paper. Not exactly the same as Bullseye targets, but good enough!

joem5636

Back to top Go down

Post by KBarth 6/30/2017, 7:01 pm

Is this pistol accurate? How's the trigger?
KBarth
KBarth

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley 6/30/2017, 7:03 pm

Also look at the Daisy Avanti pistols. Don't waste your money on less. The FAS 6004 is decent, I had one for a year. This year I imported a Steyr Evo 10 from Krale in the Netherlands, still cost about $1500. I just added their picatinny adapter and a Vortex Venom red dot and shot a 96 the first night.

Practicing with air pistols is great for developing your hold. It also gives you something to do during the week or winter when you can't make it to the range, and of course it's fun.

I may buy a Steyr LP50 also at some point to practice rapids.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by Magload 6/30/2017, 9:21 pm

I have a V10 and Andrew made me a great set of grips for it that has the 1911 grip angle.  For the price I think it is a good entry level AP.  I only got it for BE practice so don't need anything better.  Don
Magload
Magload

Back to top Go down

Post by KBarth 7/1/2017, 1:55 pm

Hows the trigger on the crossman? How are the sights?
KBarth
KBarth

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 7/1/2017, 2:08 pm

This is the Gamo but they are called the V10 now. My old eyes train/work better with a dot so I added one. It was super easy to do.

Air pistol for practice Dscf0210
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by Magload 7/1/2017, 5:15 pm

Len tell me how you got that dot mounted I have a V10.  I need to post a pic of the 1911 angle grips Andrew made for me.  He went out and bought a V10 so he could make my grips.  It looks to me like the top can be drilled and tapped.  Does the scope get in the way of cocking the gun?  Don
Magload
Magload

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar 7/1/2017, 6:19 pm

If you think you will be sticking with bullseye for a while (5-10+ years), and you have or can work your way up to the funds, a match-grade air pistol is a buy-once-cry-once-damn-that-was-worth-it item.

I wouldn't recommend working your way up the AP $$ scale incrementally.

(FWIW, I have no financial stake in this advice. I'm not trying to sell you anything.)

(Just kidding: by reading this, you now owe me 50¢. Paypal preferred.)
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 7/1/2017, 6:32 pm

john bickar wrote:If you think you will be sticking with bullseye for a while (5-10+ years), and you have or can work your way up to the funds, a match-grade air pistol is a buy-once-cry-once-damn-that-was-worth-it item.

I wouldn't recommend working your way up the AP $$ scale incrementally.

(FWIW, I have no financial stake in this advice. I'm not trying to sell you anything.)

(Just kidding: by reading this, you now owe me 50¢. Paypal preferred.)
You have given out a lot of good advice. Just put it on my running tab. clown
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 7/1/2017, 6:34 pm

The scope makes it easier. Easy to drill, just polymer but too easy to tap. Easy to get to other side and put a nut on your mounting screws. I would worry about the strength of just tapping. I threw it together with parts I had here but I think the base (2 piece) was for a octagon barreled Marlin. I think any flat base would work. I will take a picture.

Len
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 7/1/2017, 7:03 pm

I guess it is a good thing I took pictures. I didn't remember that there wasn't enough clearance above the barrel where it mates with gasket to use a nut. I have 3 nuts and one tapped hole. The other 2 nuts that are not shown are under the barrel which removes easily with the 2 screws.
Air pistol for practice Dscf1112
Air pistol for practice Dscf1113
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Math 7/5/2017, 12:26 pm

I shoot a full blown very modern Olympic PCP air pistol, or a 50 meter free pistol, six days a week year round.  I score in the low 90%, you’d think I’d be a beast at the slow fire targets (at least with the .22 pistol), but that practice just has not transferred to my precision shooting.  I’m not really sure about air pistols and training, at least for me they have not helped.   
Jon Math
Jon Math

Back to top Go down

Post by JD Mahan 7/5/2017, 3:01 pm

Jon Math wrote:I shoot a full blown very modern Olympic PCP air pistol, or a 50 meter free pistol, six days a week year round.  I score in the low 90%, you’d think I’d be a beast at the slow fire targets (at least with the .22 pistol), but that practice just has not transferred to my precision shooting.  I’m not really sure about air pistols and training, at least for me they have not helped.   
John,
I faced the same thing, and for me at least, it was all about grip (my hold on the pistol). I had developed a very light grip, very steady, and undisturbed by the 500g pull. I consistently shot in the 555 - 559 range (AP), but it was not translating to my slowfire scores.

I decided to focus on my LP-50 compact for a while. I cranked the trigger up to 2.25 lbs, and really worked on follow through by re-aquiring the sight picture after each shot (admittedly not as hard if I release the shot properly).

Several months in now, and I am really seeing results. Slowfire and sustained fire are both up nicely. I am also shooting AP scores in the 550-555 range, with the LP-50 COMPACT and the heavier pull.

It might be interesting to see if my true AP scores have improved as well, but I decided to focus on bullseye, and plus I just really enjoy shooting the LP-50. To the point I'm seriously considering selling my Pardini k12

JD Mahan

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Math 7/5/2017, 3:09 pm

I was starting to think the same way and was even to the point of taking the palm shelf off my air pistol to see if that would make a difference.  I shoot an LP10, and what an amazing piece of machinery it is.  The TOZ free pistol is even more amazing considering it’s 1960 technology.  I’m seriously considering getting a Morini free pistol, I really enjoy that sport the best of the pistol shooting I do.
Jon Math
Jon Math

Back to top Go down

Post by Magload 7/5/2017, 3:34 pm

LenV wrote:I guess it is a good thing I took pictures. I didn't remember that there wasn't enough clearance above the barrel where it mates with gasket to use a nut. I have 3 nuts and one tapped hole. The other 2 nuts that are not shown are under the barrel which removes easily with the 2 screws.
Air pistol for practice Dscf1112
Air pistol for practice Dscf1113

Len I got a 6" rail with a flat base that I had for a AR15 build and never used mounted yesterday on my V10.  My rear screw and nut ended up behind the air block so the nut fit.  the rear of the rail butts up against the base of the rear sight.  I have a FastFire II mounted now and it is far enough forward I can still close the gun with my hand right in front of the rear sight.  Thanks for showing me how to get this done.  Don
Magload
Magload

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down