Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fired Bullseye Brass.

+3
Bullseye_Stan
Wobbley
USSR
7 posters

Go down

Fired Bullseye Brass. Empty Fired Bullseye Brass.

Post by USSR 12/7/2017, 7:19 am

Just received a bunch of fired brass from a member on this site (Thanks Lamar) that he purchased from Bullseye shooters over the years.   A couple of questions if I may.   First, all the brass is Federal.   Is this a preferred headstamp for Bullseye loads?   And second, much of the brass is marked with a colored magic marker on the case head, either a line across the case head, or even a completely green or red colored case head.   With rifle brass, this is sometimes done to indicate that the brass is toast and to toss it once it is fired and not to reload it again, but I suspect that this .45 ACP Bullseye brass is marked for identification or some other purpose.   Thanks in advance for your comments.

Don
USSR
USSR

Back to top Go down

Fired Bullseye Brass. Empty Re: Fired Bullseye Brass.

Post by Wobbley 12/7/2017, 7:31 am

A lot of people used a magic marker to identify their brass easily when at the range.  My usual technique was to police the brass in my area pick out mine with the stripes of the day and then put the others on a firing point.

As for makes of brass that are preferred.  I like Winchester in all its forms, even WCC military, and Federal.  Tho I do have most makes. I do keep makes separated until it’s time for the practice bin.  Then I don’t care.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullseye_Stan 12/7/2017, 7:36 am

Once fired brass has better consistency than new brass (for whatever reason) when I reload.  Same headstamp brass is (generally) more consistent and desired than mixed headstamp brass.  Like any projectile sport (darts, golf, archery, etc.), consistency is important. 

Federal makes good brass.  I have some brass with the sharpie mark - I inspect the brass and if it looks OK ignore the mark.  I have found that pistol brass doesn't have to be trimmed, or even thoroughly cleaned, to function safely and correctly.  However, I rarely load the maximum charge and generally load near the minimum.

Stan

Bullseye_Stan

Back to top Go down

Post by USSR 12/7/2017, 7:58 am

Oh, the sharpie marks will soon be gone, after I wet tumble the brass this weekend. Smile

Don
USSR
USSR

Back to top Go down

Post by Aprilian 12/7/2017, 8:11 am

w4ti wrote:Federal is the last major maker who puts out wadcutter target grade 45 ammo, so it could very well be the case that many of these are Gold Medal in lineage.

In my experience the Fed GM 185 SWC brass is easily identifiable as it has a roll crimp in the brass.   One batch of my GM had FC headstamp, but the stuff I bought recently was back to the Federal headstamp.
Aprilian
Aprilian

Back to top Go down

Fired Bullseye Brass. Empty Bullseye brass

Post by Lamar H 12/7/2017, 8:47 am

Don the marks was to identify my brass.
Different colors for powder & short or long
line loads.
Thanks for the  purchase.
Lamar H

Lamar H

Back to top Go down

Post by USSR 12/7/2017, 9:09 am

Aprilian wrote:
w4ti wrote:Federal is the last major maker who puts out wadcutter target grade 45 ammo, so it could very well be the case that many of these are Gold Medal in lineage.

In my experience the Fed GM 185 SWC brass is easily identifiable as it has a roll crimp in the brass.   One batch of my GM had FC headstamp, but the stuff I bought recently was back to the Federal headstamp.

Ah, that was another question I had.   I noticed that some of the brass has a roll crimp and some didn't.   So, can I assume that any Federal or FC marked brass with a roll crimp is GM?

Don
USSR
USSR

Back to top Go down

Post by Aprilian 12/7/2017, 9:31 am

Don,   I can't emphatically answer that as I don't have enough experience to be able to say that is their only product with that combination of roll mark and headstamp.  In my case, I know that my brass can be sorted that way as I only have a few with that combination which I introduced into the mix as once-fired.  Any used similar ones I acquire are put into the practice bin.
Aprilian
Aprilian

Back to top Go down

Post by Virgil Kane 12/7/2017, 11:28 am

For those that don't tumble (wet or dry) denatured alcohol on a paper towel will wipe off those Sharpie marks making them clean as a whistle.

For the record all I use is Federal brass. The pain comes when I get new once fired brass and have to pick out the small primer pocket brass.  Never much (couple in every 1000) but if not done will jam up the Dillon.

Virgil

Virgil Kane

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary Wells 12/7/2017, 3:26 pm

My experiences with cases from Federal Gold medal Match 185 gr FMJ SWC:

Sometime about 2 years ago year I had opportunity to shoot up ½ case (500 rounds) of the Federal Gold Medal Match 185 gr FMJ SWC As I. had previously weighed out 1 box of the Fed GM match 185 gr prior to shooting it and was surprised at the consistency and small variation of the weight (279.6-277.2=2.4) of the 50 loaded rounds. I started weighing out the empty brass after sizing ,de-capping, & tumbling. The total variation between most boxes was 82.5-83.5 grs. Occasionally there were outliers. I was able to cull 9 boxes (450) of cases that the total variation was .82.5-83.5 grs. Even though I had about 15-20 cases left over with a total variation of 1 gr (82.5-83.5) & the outliers comprised the rest of that box of 50. I immediately called Federal & asked to speak with someone that was familiar with the construction of the Fed GM Match 185 gr FMJ SWC.  Even he was surprised at the consistency & small variation. I asked about their process parameters & requirements. He told me that they did not weigh cases but did weigh all completed rounds for safety reasons. I asked him if he could tell me the  upper & lower limits and he replied no.  I asked about buying some of the cases and he replied that they no longer sold reloading component and had no intentions of doing so in the near future. The completed untouched box of loaded rounds that I have are roll crimped as were all of the 500 rounds of the ½ case.

At the same time that I was playing with weighing my cases, Mr. Chris Minelli had just bought 1K new Starline brass cases and he mvolunteered to weigh out 50 mof his Starline cases for comparison. Chris had a total variation of 1.89 (79.315-77,425=1.89) Remember that Chris' cases were totally random while mine were mostly randomly selected. @ or 3 of my 10 boxes were virtually perfect and fell within the 82.5-83.5 while the others had a few outliers in each box. 

Gary Wells

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down