Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mixing your own MoS2 (molybdenum disulfide)

+2
jglenn21
Bullseye_Stan
6 posters

Go down

Mixing your own MoS2 (molybdenum disulfide)  Empty Mixing your own MoS2 (molybdenum disulfide)

Post by Bullseye_Stan Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:30 am

Greetings,

Don't know how many do this, or have an inclination to do this, but here is some of what I've found along the way.  Moly (MoS2) is a good lubricant for precision firearms.  However, applying it can be messy and sometimes not so exact.

Here is one way to reduce the mess and provide a more careful application: 

Brownells 0.5 oz needle oiler bottles:

Mixing your own MoS2 (molybdenum disulfide)  P_084000361_1

91% Isopropyl Alcohol (Isopropanol):

Mixing your own MoS2 (molybdenum disulfide)  D9ef564f-3267-4fc6-a6f6-c4e608bb9e83_1.9fa789a9eae8e9b9c35441cf86b8dc89

and MoPo 1.5 micron Molybnemum disulfide powder (via Ebay) - other high purity MoS2 powders will work:
Mixing your own MoS2 (molybdenum disulfide)  S-l1600

I mix 1/3 by volume MoS2 with 2/3 by volume 91% Isopropyl alcohol - shake well.  It dries quickly, adheres well, and has some penetrating properties.  Other concentrations (1/4 by volume of MoS2 with 3/4 91% Iso) may work better for different uses.  The main bit of information from all this is that the 91% Iso alcohol seems to work much better than other solvents I've used, such as Naptha (lighter fluid) or mineral spirits (paint thinner) to keep the MoS2 in suspension and leave no residue.

Bullseye_Stan

Back to top Go down

Mixing your own MoS2 (molybdenum disulfide)  Empty Re: Mixing your own MoS2 (molybdenum disulfide)

Post by jglenn21 Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:22 am

stuff is great to use on the primer slides found on various progressive reloaders..  use it on all my Dillons
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Mixing your own MoS2 (molybdenum disulfide)  Empty Re: Mixing your own MoS2 (molybdenum disulfide)

Post by Chris Miceli Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:26 am

http://www.neconos.com/item/MOLY-SLIDE-33

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by JNW1 Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:41 am

The best place to buy small needle oiler bottles is your local craft store. I got a pack of them at Michael’s Crafts for $1.50.
Jeff

JNW1

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullseye_Stan Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:13 pm

I'll check out those oiler bottles at Michael's crafts.  The primary benefit I've found from the MoS2 in alcohol is that it leaves no (oil) residue, dries quickly, and is a dry film lubricant only containing MoS2.  I haven't tried it out for plastic magazines, but will.  I've used it a bit for reloading (on my old Lee turret press) which helps keep the primer arm assembly from being ejected.

Like most things, it's not universal, but does have it's uses.  Of course, there are other ways to do this same thing.  I've used a product called 'Dri Slide Bike Aid' which is intended to lubricate (bicycle) cables and is a MoS2 suspension in a petroleum solution.  Beemans (years ago) used to sell a similar product for air guns. 

Part of my tinkering was from using Bullseye powder in my 45, which is dirty.  Oiling the gun just seems to attract powder residue.  The MoS2 cuts down on some of that and the slide seems to cycle with less effort.

Bullseye_Stan

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:34 pm

Bullseye_Stan wrote:I'll check out those oiler bottles at Michael's crafts.  The primary benefit I've found from the MoS2 in alcohol is that it leaves no (oil) residue, dries quickly, and is a dry film lubricant only containing MoS2.  I haven't tried it out for plastic magazines, but will.  I've used it a bit for reloading (on my old Lee turret press) which helps keep the primer arm assembly from being ejected.

Like most things, it's not universal, but does have it's uses.  Of course, there are other ways to do this same thing.  I've used a product called 'Dri Slide Bike Aid' which is intended to lubricate (bicycle) cables and is a MoS2 suspension in a petroleum solution.  Beemans (years ago) used to sell a similar product for air guns. 

Part of my tinkering was from using Bullseye powder in my 45, which is dirty.  Oiling the gun just seems to attract powder residue.  The MoS2 cuts down on some of that and the slide seems to cycle with less effort.
a tighter fitting slide to frame will keep that out, as well as a well lubricated firearm. i recommend FP10

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:11 pm

For those that don’t want to mess with it:  https://www.drislide.com/collections/weapons-lubricant-1/products/drislide-weapons-lubricant

MoS2 is actually somewhat abrasive as a lubricant.  It’s shape allows for sliding to take place.  Industrially, it is used primarily in high contact stress environments usually as a supplement to grease but seldom in ball bearings.  Guns, generally, aren’t high contact stress systems so there isn’t a huge advantage to Moly.  There is a disadvantage in that it stains clothing and skin and is impossible to clean.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jmdavis Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:54 pm

I use Neco Moly on the sear of the Pardini. I had a very bad experience with grease (tetra) on the slide and rails of my wad gun. It was an alibi magnet. 

I agree that Bullseye can be dirty, but I have no object to cleaning guns. If it takes some elbow grease to keep my wad gun accurate and dependable, so be it.
jmdavis
jmdavis

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullseye_Stan Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:08 pm

Wobbley wrote:For those that don’t want to mess with it:  https://www.drislide.com/collections/weapons-lubricant-1/products/drislide-weapons-lubricant

MoS2 is actually somewhat abrasive as a lubricant.  It’s shape allows for sliding to take place.  Industrially, it is used primarily in high contact stress environments usually as a supplement to grease but seldom in ball bearings.  Guns, generally, aren’t high contact stress systems so there isn’t a huge advantage to Moly.  There is a disadvantage in that it stains clothing and skin and is impossible to clean.

I have read that the Dry-Slide weapons lubricant contains graphite along with moly (http://www.uniquetek.com/product/T1247).  For some firearms (such as Hammerli), that is a problem.  One of the benefits to mixing up concoctions is having a bit better control as to what goes into them.  Thin films of high purity MoS2 work best and do not have abrasive properties, but the moly film can be subject to decomposition from humid air over time.  Feinwerkbau has used moly as a 'permanent' lubricant, but does not endorse or advocate the owner reapplying (or stripping and applying) moly.  I would not consider moly a suitable lubricant for a Bullseye pistol shot in the pouring rain - there is no 'dry' in that environment.

Bullseye_Stan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down