Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

new Bullseye powder vs. old Bullseye

+5
fc60
LenV
243winxb
jmdavis
hwevers
9 posters

Go down

new Bullseye powder vs. old Bullseye Empty new Bullseye powder vs. old Bullseye

Post by hwevers Thu May 24, 2018 10:42 am

I recently was given a (cardboard) container ol Bullseye powder. Is there any difference in charge weights between the old and the new?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Howard

hwevers

Back to top Go down

new Bullseye powder vs. old Bullseye Empty Re: new Bullseye powder vs. old Bullseye

Post by jmdavis Thu May 24, 2018 11:02 am

I would say that it depends on storage and moisture. A given volume may weigh more because it has attracted more moisture. Using the same volume with two different lots, one unopened and one used for 3 years the weight can vary. I haven't seen the results vary though. 

We have experts on here who can explain it better.
jmdavis
jmdavis

Back to top Go down

new Bullseye powder vs. old Bullseye Empty Re: new Bullseye powder vs. old Bullseye

Post by 243winxb Thu May 24, 2018 11:47 am

I just started checking weigh by volume between old and new lots. 

IMR 4198 ( 18.5 gr vs 19.6 gr.)  and Alliant 2400 (13.0 vs 13.6).  Sorry no Bullseye yet. 

There will be a difference in weight, old being lighter.  Why? My guess is some of the solvents evaporate in the older powders.  Or outgassing??

[url=http://www.firearmsid.com/Feature Articles/McCord_gunpowder/]http://www.firearmsid.com/Feature%20Articles/McCord_gunpowder/[/url]

Last edited by 243winxb on Thu May 24, 2018 11:54 am; edited 1 time in total
243winxb
243winxb

Back to top Go down

Post by jmdavis Thu May 24, 2018 11:52 am

My older powder is heavier. But that may be a result of living in the humid mid atlantic. The difference is generally .1 grains or so.
jmdavis
jmdavis

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Thu May 24, 2018 12:15 pm

I wonder if the weight makes any difference if your throwing a charge with your hopper. My Lee drops X amount of powder every time I throw the handle. I don't weigh it anymore. I weighed it once to confirm chart versus actual but never saw a reason to retest. YMMV

Len
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by fc60 Thu May 24, 2018 12:33 pm

Greetings,

I have used several lots of Bullseye over the years.

They do vary in velocity with the same charge weight.

The only way to fine tune your ammo is with a chronograph.

Cheers,

Dave
fc60
fc60

Back to top Go down

Post by jmdavis Thu May 24, 2018 12:59 pm

Dave, 

Do they vary with the same volume? You may be one of the few civilians not working for a manufacturer who can answer that with certainty.
jmdavis
jmdavis

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli Thu May 24, 2018 1:15 pm

jmdavis wrote:Dave, 

Do they vary with the same volume? You may be one of the few civilians not working for a manufacturer who can answer that with certainty.
you can have weight/volume deviations based on lots as well. I asked Hodgdon and they told me up to 15% variation from lot to lot.

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by fc60 Thu May 24, 2018 8:29 pm

Greetings,

I have not kept track of the variations.

I recall that 1.6 grains of Bullseye Lot #536 showed the same velocity as 1.7 grains of Bullseye Lot #669.

Every time I change lots, out comes the chronograph.

Cheers,

Dave
fc60
fc60

Back to top Go down

Post by GerhardG Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:24 pm

fc60 wrote:Greetings,

I have used several lots of Bullseye over the years.

They do vary in velocity with the same charge weight.

The only way to fine tune your ammo is with a chronograph.

Cheers,

Dave
Amen Sir

GerhardG

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:52 am

I started reloading using Hercules Bullseye decades ago. The same load of 2.7 grains of newer Bullseye still works well under a 148 gr. HBWC in a .38 SPL cartridge. If the powder has been properly stored, it will perform well. There are much better things to worry about in this game, like, "Did I dry fire today?" And since you are asking, yes, the old nickel plated vs. naked brass Winchester primers work equally well.Laughing BTW, I made it to outdoor master without a chronograph. I did use the Ransom Rest for 50 yard testing.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Founder likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Larry2520 Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:48 pm

I would say unless you're a high master you wouldn't notice the difference.

Larry2520

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down