Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Something to consider regarding handgun accuracy

3 posters

Go down

Something to consider regarding handgun accuracy Empty Something to consider regarding handgun accuracy

Post by mikemyers 8/25/2018, 4:07 pm

Several years ago, I found a fascinating web page about a new way to consider accuracy.  I could go to the range, and my first shot might be dead on in the center of the bullseye, and the next shot might be two or three inches away.  Maybe two shots were dead on, and the third was "off".  In my mind, the question back then was "what did I do wrong", or in today's verbiage, what did I do right with the good shot.  Last week I found this page again.

To me, this is a completely new way of thinking about accuracy.  At first I didn't accept it, but now I accept it completely.  I could say a lot more about it, but I think the page speaks for itself.  In one sentence, according to this article, if my ability to shoot results in a six inch group, the holes can be anywhere within that six inch area, and nothing I can do will improve it - what I need to do is decrease my group size.

http://accuracy.martinchick.com/handgun_rifle.html

Since I now accept this as being true, I feel much more comfortable.  Over time, my group size does decrease, which means if the sights are centered properly, my "score" goes up. 

Another page from the same author to read:

http://accuracy.martinchick.com/bullseye_shooting.html
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Something to consider regarding handgun accuracy Empty Re: Something to consider regarding handgun accuracy

Post by Jon Eulette 8/25/2018, 6:28 pm

To me accuracy is the gun and ammunition combination. I build accurate pistols, but that doesn’t mean the end user ( shooter) is going to really reap a the benefits of the pistols accuracy. If the shooter doesn’t train and really learn the fundamentals they are truthfully probably no better off with the really accurate pistol. So shooter accuracy can suck with a pistol that can group 30 consecutive under 1.5” at 50 yds. I never base accuracy on the shooter, it’s based on mechanical accuracy of the pistol and ammunition. But unfortunately there are pistols out there that will shoot 1.5” groups from a mechanical rest but not very easily from hand. Now you’re dealing with a shooter, pistol and ammunition combination which has many more variables than a mechanical system. The best shooters test their ammunition in their pistols and than forget about it. They just focus on the fundamentals and expect the pistol and ammunition to perform. If it’s not a 10 they know it was them. They focus on what’s important and don’t waste time on anything other than shooting 10’s. 
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Something to consider regarding handgun accuracy Empty Re: Something to consider regarding handgun accuracy

Post by dronning 8/25/2018, 6:35 pm

Jon Eulette wrote:.... The best shooters test their ammunition in their pistols and than forget about it. They just focus on the fundamentals and expect the pistol and ammunition to perform. If it’s not a 10 they know it was them. They focus on what’s important and don’t waste time on anything other than shooting 10’s. 
Jon
Very good advice!
- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down