Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Marvel vs Nelson

+4
willnewton
Chris Miceli
10sandxs
Tim:H11
8 posters

Go down

Marvel vs Nelson Empty Marvel vs Nelson

Post by Tim:H11 9/23/2018, 3:32 pm

Marvel vs Nelson...? You shooters that have owned and shot both, I'd like your opinion please on which you prefer and the reasons why. I have a Nelson and love it but I've come onto a good deal on a Marvel and I'm considering setting it up as a backup or loaner. I'm wondering if I should just set up a second Nelson or go with the Marvel. This is a "version one" if you will, Marvel. No last shot hold open. 

Thanks!

Back to top Go down

Marvel vs Nelson Empty Re: Marvel vs Nelson

Post by 10sandxs 9/23/2018, 3:39 pm

I have a gen I marvel that cracked the slide a decade ago and was replaced with a steel slide, lockback version. It's tired, but still shoots better than me.  My nelson should be here in a few weeks and I'm setting that up as a distinguished rimfire gun until I get the rest of my points, then it will become my primary BE gun with the marvel as backup. The nelson just "feels" better to me.

10sandxs

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli 9/23/2018, 3:41 pm

search function this topic.

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by willnewton 9/23/2018, 6:15 pm

I have both and have RR both.  The Marvel is older non lockback model I bought used.  The Nelson I bought new not long ago.

The Nelson groups about a 1/4” tighter at 50 with CCI SV than the Marvel, but both are x-ring shooters.  This may be due to the age or use history of the Marvel.  A different Marvel may shoot just as well as a Nelson.

You can put the Nelson recoil bumper in the Marvel and then there is no particular shooting feel difference after that between them except the lockback feature.

I shoot the Nelson mags in both. 

Big difference is you can dry fire the Nelson with no insert, the older Marvel needs a plug.  I have definitely broken and replaced the firing pin in my Marvel due to dry firing with no plug.  A newer Marvel may not have this issue if they have learned to fit the pins better than they used to.

Final verdict, Nelson by a hair, but a few Nelson parts in the Marvel makes it an awfully close race.  If it were new vs. new and both with lockback and a bumper, probably a tougher call.

Even so, at the right price I would not pass on a good Marvel. My Marvel has a threaded barrel and is used as fun gun, loaner, and suppressor host.  I would not hesitate to shoot it in a match as a backup, but it would be about 5th in line behind my two Hammerlis and two Nelsons.  I am not good enough for a 1/4” group difference to matter, but the Hams are just super sweet pistols overall and my Nelsons are newer.

Just an opinion based on what I have in front of me, other folks may feel different about their conversions or have different accuracy results.
willnewton
willnewton
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by messenger 9/23/2018, 7:08 pm

I bought my first Marvel about ten years ago. I was pleased for the most part but hardly a match would pass without an alibi. I wanted a backup so I bought another one with a threaded barrel. I still would get an alibi from time to time. When they came out with the lock back model I bought it. I would go through about two bricks and the locking back would stop. Under warranty Marvel replaced the slide. Two bricks later it quit again. No longer under warranty cost me $150 to replace the slide. Bought a Nelson and sold the three Marvels. My Nelson is extremely reliable. Never had an alibi. Broke a few firing pins with the Marvel.

Bill
messenger
messenger

Back to top Go down

Post by JKR 9/24/2018, 10:50 am

Owned both. Had quite a few breakdowns with the Marvel. Two cracked slides, four firing pins. A couple the smaller parts. To be fair, it got a lot of use. I didn't have the Nelsons too long before giving them to my sons.They were and still are flawless. However, like willnewton, I prefer my Hammerli or Benelli over the conversions.

JKR

Back to top Go down

Post by Magnusbullets 9/24/2018, 5:41 pm

You can get a bare lock back slide from Marvel. I did that for mine

Magnusbullets

http://www.magnusbullets.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli 9/24/2018, 6:40 pm

Magnusbullets wrote:You can get a bare lock back slide from Marvel. I did that for mine
you can not. Marvel will not sell a slide. You can buy a whole unit or you can trade in your old slide + $

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 9/24/2018, 7:23 pm

Chris Miceli wrote:
Magnusbullets wrote:You can get a bare lock back slide from Marvel. I did that for mine
you can not. Marvel will not sell a slide. You can buy a whole unit or you can trade in your old slide + $
What Chris is really saying is you used to be able to just buy the slide, but now the new owner of Marvel will not sell just a slide. 
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down