Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mixing jacked and lead?

+2
SmokinNJokin
Arthur
6 posters

Go down

Mixing jacked and lead? Empty Mixing jacked and lead?

Post by Arthur 1/6/2019, 7:32 pm

Gents 

Coming from rifle shooting, it was a serious no no to switch lead to jacketed without a serious cleaning. I have seen other shooters on the line for a 2700 shooting jacked for the long line , and lead for the short line. Is this really OK? 

Thanks 
Arthur

Arthur

Back to top Go down

Mixing jacked and lead? Empty Re: Mixing jacked and lead?

Post by SmokinNJokin 1/6/2019, 8:42 pm

Switching from jacketed to lead is fine.

It is, however a very good idea to clean before switching from lead to jacketed. Contrary to the old adage that chasing lead fouling with a jacketed round 'cleans' the barrel, what is does is push most of the lead out but the remaining fouling gets burnished into the bore and makes it 10x more difficult to get out.

A proper match barrel shooting only lead ammo is a snap to clean (on the rare occasions that it needs cleaning), usually some hoppes and a couple patches and the job is done. Chase lead fouling with jacketed, and be prepared to soak the barrel in solvent and do some scrubbing.

That being said, you are going to find lots of people who still do it and swear by it. Nothing wrong with it I suppose if you don't mind cleaning. I prefer to take my barrel out to clean as infrequently as possible... only after 4-6k rounds if i can help it.

For a 2700, if you want to shoot jacketed on the long line and lead on the short line, you only have to clean your barrel after the centerfire 900, to prepare for the long line of the 45 match. Pull a boresnake or a couple patches thru, problem solved.

SmokinNJokin

Back to top Go down

Post by weber1b 1/6/2019, 9:09 pm

I do it and I have never worried about cleaning in between. When my gunsmith, who is a master shooter, tells me it is ok, then that's good enough for me.

weber1b

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar 1/6/2019, 10:46 pm

*grabs popcorn*
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by willnewton 1/7/2019, 10:27 am

Aww, c’mon John, that’s not fair.  I was waiting for you to post as the final word on the subject.  I heard Bickar alternated JHP and LSWC every other shot.   Laughing

Seiuosly though Arthur, welcome to the forum.  The forum search function at the top right will reveal the many times this topic has come up and the 400 correct answers.

You will find that for the people that mix it is fine and for those that will never mix it is fine too.

I tend to shoot all JHP, especially if there is 50-yd, but at different powder loads.

I tend to shoot LSWC target loads if it is all 25-yd.

I just like to keep it simple to avoid thinking too hard about it.
willnewton
willnewton
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 1/7/2019, 12:29 pm

Before I retired from the game (bad shoulder) I used JHP ammo at the long line and Star swaged 185 gr. SWCHP at the short line. I never cleaned the barrel until after the match was over. My slow fire scores never seemed to suffer when shooting slow fire after lead. My slow fires back then were in the mid to high 90's at 50 yards.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Arthur 1/8/2019, 8:42 pm

Thanks for the input everybody. 
Shooting a match this weekend, jacked for slow fire, lead for the short line. Will clean thoroughly after and then stick to one or the other between cleanings. Maybe.
Like the forum. Lots of good information here!!

Arthur

Arthur

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down