Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Upgrade to a Model 41

+4
Jack H
LenV
Ghillieman
xman
8 posters

Go down

Upgrade to a Model 41 Empty Upgrade to a Model 41

Post by xman Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:54 am

I am considering upgrading from my Buckmark that has a bull barrel and full length Weaver rib.I have not fully gone thru all the paces with the Buckmark. I have shot maybe 5 matches with it. I do have a tasco dot that really adds a lot of weight to the system.

When I look at GB for a 41 none have a rib of any kind yet. Can a general gunsmith tap the top of the 41 to add even a 1/2 way weaver or if more useful a picatinny rib.

Or am I going about this all wrong. I would get a lighter weight dot for the 41.
xman
xman

Back to top Go down

Upgrade to a Model 41 Empty Re: Upgrade to a Model 41

Post by Ghillieman Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:38 am

Get an after market barrel. Talk to Odie at the Terrell match, he has a nice 41 barrel with a picatinny rail.
Ghillieman
Ghillieman

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:13 am

All the 41s past/newer then about 1993 are pre-drilled and tapped for a rail. They cost between 7 and 35.00. (the rail) I would not let that worry you. Just make sure it's new enough. In answer to the other part. Yes, any gunsmith can tap an older one if that's the way you go. I tapped my older one and I have trouble spelling gunsmith.

Len

If you go with an older 41 you can drill it so rail is over the grips. In my opinion giving a better balance than mounted forward.
Upgrade to a Model 41 20181028
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:56 am

Roddy tapped this barrel for the 62 base with factory pattern.  Normal position.
Upgrade to a Model 41 Img_0016

On this factory tapped barrel, I turned the same base around and use only two screws.  The sight removed and on this one I cut off the tail for an easier grab on the slide rear.  But since than I added the tread tape up front. 
Upgrade to a Model 41 Img_0017

The second gun is much lighter than the first.  The heavy one is relined
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by 10sandxs Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:52 pm

I made the choice to move into a model 41 early in my shooting career from a ruger. The 41 I had was a mid 90s model and I shot it for several years, never scoring higher than about 810. My wife indicated interest In bullseye so I bought a used buckmark of the same model you have, and a 30mm ultradot and took it out to informal leage match to sight in. I'll never forget shooting an 855 INCLUDING sighters with a buckmark the first time I shot the gun.
I bench rest tested the 41 and it wouldn't hold 2 inches at 25 yards with any ammo. Seems S&W had QC issues in the 90s and I got the a bad one.

Lesson 1 learned: test your gun/ammo combination, don't rely on reputation.

Lesson 2 learned: a buckmark will take you to master and you'll have money for 2 cases of ammo to get you started over a 41.

I shot the buckmark for many years and made master shooting it. I eventuallly decied to go to a 1911 conversion to help with my 45, but i still have the buckmarck. My 12 year old is now shooting it.

The 41 is a fine gun, and I've toyed with the idea of getting one again, but spending 1000 for a used one is something I personally have a hard time doing when I have proven guns like buckmarks, Marvel, and Nelson already in the safe.

10sandxs

Back to top Go down

Post by PhotoEscape Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:10 pm

I'm jealous, 10sandxs!
AP
PhotoEscape
PhotoEscape
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Aprilian Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:16 pm

Len, 
Why are the cross-bolt pins installed differently on the two?
Why put the tape up front, wouldn't it be easier on the back of the slide? Upgrade to a Model 41 <a href=Upgrade to a Model 41 JMEmTXR" />

Xman, 
I made the same upgrade you are considering.   The Buckmark is cheaper, has more aftermarket parts (although most are not drop-in), is less prone to jams but has just an OK trigger.    
When I first got the 41, I was definitely giving up points to shoot it.  However after some big investments in the 41 (KC Crawford visit, Rink grips, etc.) I am shooting it very well and can't remember the last time I had a failure with it.
When I sandbag tested the two with SK Magazine (only 25 yd range available at the time), the Buckmark was marginally more precise.  However, my recovery in sustained fire is better with the M41.
Good luck with your choice.
Aprilian
Aprilian

Back to top Go down

Post by troystaten Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:09 pm

Another option is a 41 with a Clark barrel.  A friend of mine put a Clark barrel on his older 41 and it shoots very well.  I have an older 41 with an 8.375 inch barrel and iron sights and it is a very nice pistol, great trigger and very reliable.

troystaten

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down