Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brass Cleaning, Steel Pins vs Corn Cob/Walnut Media

+20
David R
TonyH
onlylead
Wobbley
willnewton
Caster3845
Multiracer
fc60
Deerspy
messenger
spyer40
james r chapman
Soupy44
1joel1
Aprilian
Bullseye58
SmokinNJokin
lyman1903
zanemoseley
tceva
24 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Brass Cleaning, Steel Pins vs Corn Cob/Walnut Media - Page 3 Empty Brass Cleaning, Steel Pins vs Corn Cob/Walnut Media

Post by tceva 3/22/2019, 2:50 am

First topic message reminder :

Last year I had a rude awakening. Big Brother gave me a call after a blood test showed elevated blood levels.  Since then I have managed to 
get my lead levels back down.  One of the areas of concern for me was handling the media while cleaning brass.  I have always used walnut media with flitz.
The results have been fine.  When separating the brass and media, you can't help but generate dust.  My question is do the steel pins and solvent eliminate this problem?
What do you do with remaining liquid?  Should I ask?
Thanks for any advise.
Alex
tceva
tceva

Back to top Go down

Brass Cleaning, Steel Pins vs Corn Cob/Walnut Media - Page 3 Empty Re: Brass Cleaning, Steel Pins vs Corn Cob/Walnut Media

Post by lyman1903 3/31/2019, 2:28 pm

Slartybartfast wrote:
Aprilian wrote:I found that my body's hanging onto lead was also related to the kidney stones I was growing.   I have been taking calcium and drinking a lot of lemon juice, it will be interesting to see if my numbers have dropped further.
So, your post made me look stuff up out of interest. Was wondering about the lemon juice. Seems as far as nutrition is concerned it seems there's agreement on calcium, iron, and vitamin C.
While I need to get myself tested, if I was to try the above I would be trying for the healthy eating but looking at supplements. And only drink the lemon juice if you're particularly fond of it.

(Scary to find that artificial turf sports fiends that are made with nylon or nylon blend can have significant lead dust levels. I've read that the rubber stabilised fields can be dangerous for heavy metal exposure depending on the source of the rubber granules)

lemon (orange and grapefruit) juice helps the body with stones, 

something in the juice is converted in your kidneys and coats the stones, making them smoother so they pass easier, 

it doesn't dissolve or otherwise prevent you from making them, just smooths them over a bit, helping them release earlier, (vs getting stuck, hurting, and hanging around)
lyman1903
lyman1903

http://www.chesterfieldarmament.com

Back to top Go down

Brass Cleaning, Steel Pins vs Corn Cob/Walnut Media - Page 3 Empty Re: Brass Cleaning, Steel Pins vs Corn Cob/Walnut Media

Post by james r chapman 3/31/2019, 3:12 pm

Wobbley wrote:No,  but this guy did and he’s a chemist.

http://www.chemistry-blog.com/2012/05/18/whats-in-lemi-shine/
Whew!! That’s some read!!
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by fc60 3/31/2019, 5:34 pm

Greetings Wobbley,

Many Thanks!!!

This is the sort of NO BS reporting I love to see.

I will stick with Food Grade Citric Acid as that is the stuff the Government Arsenals tested years ago.

Bon Tir,

Dave
fc60
fc60

Back to top Go down

Post by TonyH 3/31/2019, 5:59 pm

James r Chapman wrote:Whew!! That’s some read!!
Awesome! Can you go hemihydrate me some Cu3Zn2 cases now?
TonyH
TonyH

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 3/31/2019, 6:05 pm

TonyH wrote:
James r Chapman wrote:Whew!! That’s some read!!
Awesome! Can you go hemihydrate me some Cu3Zn2 cases now?
only doing NI now..
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Asa Yam 12/21/2020, 2:20 am

Article Found While Reading "Shooting Sports USA"....

This was part of a "Best Articles" edition of SSUSA.  The linked document (written in 2017) discusses the merits and limitations of the various cleaning systems.  Enloy!

Link:  https://www.ssusa.org/articles/2017/9/12/what-s-the-best-way-to-clean-brass

Asa Yam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3