Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help me set equipment direction

5 posters

Go down

Help me set equipment direction Empty Help me set equipment direction

Post by JimTMich Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:59 am

I'm a casual Bullseye shooter, but like to do thing well and am competitive.  25 years ago when I took up bullseye at the local club I got up to a high of 877 with a Ruger MKII with the usual mods(volquartsen trigger, Vitarbo grips, Sightron tube dot).  I put that down when I started having children and have been raising children for 20 years and things are calming down, so now I would like to pick this back up again.  I shot a winter league this year and have been shooting 830-861.  What I find is that I don't have the strength to hold up the 58oz gun for slowfire without shaking coming on.  If I pick up my son's Ruger 22/45 lite, my slowfire scores jump and it's so much easier.  
I hope to start shooting some 2700 point matches so I'm leaning towards the Nelson conversion on a dedicated lower.  The 1911 I have with Kart barrel and Vitarbo grips feels so right and even with open sites I can put up 90+ slow fires with 45ACP.

Are there any drawbacks to this plan?  I don't want to jump on a fad bandwagon, but it sure looks like a good path.

I would appreciate your wisdom.
Jim

JimTMich

Back to top Go down

Help me set equipment direction Empty Re: Help me set equipment direction

Post by mspingeld Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:22 pm

The shakes could just be a conditioning issue. I love my Nelson and so do many champions so there's nothing wrong with your plan.

mspingeld
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JimTMich Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:25 pm

mspingeld wrote:The shakes could just be a conditioning issue......
I agree 100%......  been jogging more and ignoring the weights too much.  Got to make time for both.

JimTMich

Back to top Go down

Post by mspingeld Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:05 pm

For conditioning, I recommend dry firing and shooting as much league and as many matches as you can. Avoid heavy weights. We're going for endurance and fine motor skills here, not brute strength.

mspingeld
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:40 pm

mspingeld wrote:For conditioning, I recommend dry firing and shooting as much league and as many matches as you can. Avoid heavy weights. We're going for endurance and fine motor skills here, not brute strength.
+1, but if you want to use weights use 5lb max with high reps of imitating pistol stance and raise, hold for 10-20sec.  Do both arms, because it also helps your core.  For weights I use a plastic bag with a 2 liter bottle of water in it.  This allows me to use the rubber ring grip exerciser (or my pistol) so I am working my grip strength and arm and wrist strength all at the same time.

Core: Planks
Wrist: Gyro Ball (recommended by Zins), it works your wrist and forearm.
Grip: I like the rubber grip rings, Gripmaster, IronMind Captains of Crush Hand Gripper, or a ton of others.

- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Help me set equipment direction Empty I use a milk jug

Post by Stewswanson Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:51 pm

I use a 1/2 Gallon milk jug filled almost to the top with water (aprox. 4 pounds) and have swapped my 5 1/2\" bull barrel for a 4 1/2 slabside on my Mk. 3. I am 77 years old and even with conditioning the lighter combo is working better. The few people in my league that are using LITE's are not doing all that well in T/R. I think they may be too light.dronning wrote:
mspingeld wrote:For conditioning, I recommend dry firing and shooting as much league and as many matches as you can. Avoid heavy weights. We're going for endurance and fine motor skills here, not brute strength.
+1, but if you want to use weights use 5lb max with high reps of imitating pistol stance and raise, hold for 10-20sec.  Do both arms, because it also helps your core.  For weights I use a plastic bag with a 2 liter bottle of water in it.  This allows me to use the rubber ring grip exerciser (or my pistol) so I am working my grip strength and arm and wrist strength all at the same time.

Core: Planks
Wrist: Gyro Ball (recommended by Zins), it works your wrist and forearm.
Grip: I like the rubber grip rings, Gripmaster, IronMind Captains of Crush Hand Gripper, or a ton of others.

- Dave

Stewswanson

Back to top Go down

Post by jimsteele Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:50 am

jimtmich, you're an inspiration. Your story is so similar to mine (except your come back scores are better) that I now believe I CAN shoot expert scores once again.

I think a dedicated Nelson is the way to go. That is what I did when my old High Standard developed problems that todays gunsmiths were unfamiliar with. And parts were a problem also. No parts problems with a Nelson.

jimsteele

Back to top Go down

Post by JimTMich Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:12 pm

Thanks for the observation that the lite may be too lite for R/T.  That certainly is a concern.
I appreciate all the great training pointers.

Thanks Jimsteele, keep working on a new high score for the decade or century. Smile

JimTMich

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down