Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do all Bullseye shooters shoot Air Pistol well?

5 posters

Go down

Do all Bullseye shooters shoot Air Pistol well? Empty Do all Bullseye shooters shoot Air Pistol well?

Post by Sa-tevp 6/22/2019, 12:43 pm

While at a recent competition I mentioned to the Master classification military team shooter I was scoring that I found it strange that friends who score a lot better than I do in cartridge pistol competition had lower scores than me in Air Pistol matches. His response is that he didn't shoot AP well either.

How can someone be good at controlling an iron sight 45 and then have problems with Air Pistol?
Sa-tevp
Sa-tevp

Back to top Go down

Do all Bullseye shooters shoot Air Pistol well? Empty Re: Do all Bullseye shooters shoot Air Pistol well?

Post by Mike38 6/22/2019, 1:37 pm

My guess is follow through. That pellet spends more time in the barrel than a bullet from a firearm does. Back when I shot 10 meter air pistol competitively, I actually shot it better than firearm. Just a little better, but better.
Mike38
Mike38

Back to top Go down

Do all Bullseye shooters shoot Air Pistol well? Empty Re: Do all Bullseye shooters shoot Air Pistol well?

Post by bruce martindale 6/22/2019, 9:37 pm

Lots of reasons but Mikes is a big one. Look at the possible differences: irons vs dot, bullet speed, target size, grip angles, trigger weights (1lb vs 4), grip angle and trigger weight effects are inter-related, trigger characteristics, etc etc. A lighter trigger isn't easier to shoot. All the same l used AP to get good with 22 and Free but it didn't bring my 45 scores up.

bruce martindale

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t20747-feeling-center-a-10-bullsey

Back to top Go down

Post by mhayford45 6/26/2019, 8:03 am

I shoot both and find that the two sports are different. I like Air Pistol maybe a bit more than precision. I started precision many years ago and air pistol about two years ago. Air pistol is more challenging. I do think air pistol has helped my SF in precision. I was asked two weeks ago at a state match what the differences were:

I think follow through is critical in both sports but more so with air
Sight alignment is more critical in air 
trigger control is the same in both
I think the big difference is in the mental game
   60 shots of SF provides time for the mind to wander, fatigue, wonder about whats for lunch...etc.
   Staying focused and the thinking mind quiet during the unfolding of each shot is absolutely critical.

mhayford45

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce martindale 6/28/2019, 7:45 am

In general, Shotgun is about moving, rifle is about holding still, pistol is about trigger....

Breaking it down further l suspect:
Free pistol is about hold, AP is more trigger and follow through based on low pellet velocity.

22 Conventional is trigger, 45 is grip.

There, that aught to start an argument!

Regards

bruce martindale

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t20747-feeling-center-a-10-bullsey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sa-tevp 6/28/2019, 11:42 pm

bruce martindale wrote:In general, Shotgun is about moving, rifle is about holding still, pistol is about trigger....

Breaking it down further l suspect:
Free pistol is about hold, AP is more trigger and follow through based on low pellet velocity.

22 Conventional is trigger, 45 is grip.

There, that aught to start an argument!

Regards

Nope, makes sense to me having tried shooting each venue. Good summary, good points to ponder.
Sa-tevp
Sa-tevp

Back to top Go down

Post by BEA 6/29/2019, 7:33 am

Having worked at free and air pretty hard, I can definitely say hold, trigger control and follow through. The more movement you have, the better your trigger control has to be. If you leave one of these 3 out, then you are relying on luck.

BEA

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down