Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chin on shoulder or free floating head?

+5
Jack H
adminbot1911
BE Mike
chopper
zanemoseley
9 posters

Go down

Chin on shoulder or free floating head? Empty Chin on shoulder or free floating head?

Post by zanemoseley 7/7/2019, 2:16 am

I started with just letting my head sit free but have noticed a lot of the military shooters anchoring their chins on their shoulder to a varying degree. I've been experimenting with it while I practice 50 yard slow fire. I could see it tightening everything up but could also see it adding tension in your neck that may not be comfortable for a whole match.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Chin on shoulder or free floating head? Empty Re: Chin on shoulder or free floating head?

Post by chopper 7/7/2019, 4:01 am

I've heard they do that when shooting service pistol. I can see how it would seem to steady the sights. It'd take me a while to learn that stance and position.
Stan

chopper

Back to top Go down

Chin on shoulder or free floating head? Empty Re: Chin on shoulder or free floating head?

Post by BE Mike 7/7/2019, 2:35 pm

I get a crick in my neck just thinking about it.No
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by chopper 7/8/2019, 5:06 am

I tried it when I was dry firing this evening, it didn't feel comfortable, might be too late for me to change. I did notice at my last Regional match, I watch an Army shooter use it, he was also leaning back at the waist very substantially.
 I'd like to hear a shooter from the AMU or Marines chime in on this subject.
Stan

chopper

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 7/8/2019, 2:26 pm

chopper wrote:I tried it when I was dry firing this evening, it didn't feel comfortable, might be too late for me to change. I did notice at my last Regional match, I watch an Army shooter use it, he was also leaning back at the waist very substantially.
Stan
I doubt that the AMU manual suggests such a position, nor the USMC one. I could be wrong, though. That being said, "the school solution" isn't for everyone.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by adminbot1911 7/8/2019, 3:17 pm

You're right, the USMC doesn't dictate whether their competitors shoulder the pistol or not.  But most of the ones shooting M and HM do.
Chin on shoulder or free floating head? Ssgt_h11
adminbot1911
adminbot1911

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H 7/8/2019, 8:46 pm

Raising the shoulder to chin is adding reinforcement to the hinge of the shoulder.  Try a 5# weight lift and hold with the shoulder just as a hinge.  Then lift with the whole arm and shoulder.  (Care for the elbow)
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 7/9/2019, 1:22 pm

Jack H wrote:Raising the shoulder to chin is adding reinforcement to the hinge of the shoulder.  Try a 5# weight lift and hold with the shoulder just as a hinge.  Then lift with the whole arm and shoulder.  (Care for the elbow)
I guess I've been away from the sport for too long. Looks like my advice is really dated. That being said, I always followed the advice of those before me who advised that the body should be relaxed except for the hand, arm and shoulder. It got me to NRA Outdoor Master and Distinguished with a 1911 and factory hardball ammo. A one day 2700 is a marathon.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Outthere 7/10/2019, 1:05 pm

BE Mike wrote:
chopper wrote:I tried it when I was dry firing this evening, it didn't feel comfortable, might be too late for me to change. I did notice at my last Regional match, I watch an Army shooter use it, he was also leaning back at the waist very substantially.
Stan
I doubt that the AMU manual suggests such a position, nor the USMC one. I could be wrong, though. That being said, "the school solution" isn't for everyone.
I've never seen that in any manual.

Anyone here remember during one of the "windy" years that a bunch of service shooters built up their gun boxes to hide behind? 

They also had their legs spread as far as possible to lower them out of the wind, making them look like yoga instructors.  Smile
Outthere
Outthere

Back to top Go down

Post by Arthur 7/25/2019, 3:11 am

At the Small Arms Firing school I asked a coach specifically about this. He said the intent was to provide consistent alignment of the eye to the sights. I questioned the comfort also, and he responded with "We are machines." 
Nice guys teaching and coaching. Wish I could get more time with them, would not hurt a thing.

Best
Arthur

Arthur

Back to top Go down

Post by Sa-tevp 7/25/2019, 4:10 am

Check out the third page in the article below. Alton Dinan Jr tucked in tight.

Outdoor Pistol Shooting

https://www.wwmcmillan.info/media_AmericanRifleman_1964-04.html
Sa-tevp
Sa-tevp

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 7/25/2019, 5:21 am

Very good reading - thanks for the link.  
April 1964....    wow. 
I think everything I read is as true today as back then, except they didn't have optics in the 60's.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down