Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Loading for a EIC ball gun

5 posters

Go down

Loading for a EIC ball gun Empty Loading for a EIC ball gun

Post by lablover 7/18/2019, 6:56 pm

I’ve been loading for my wad gun and now will have a ball gun in my arsenal in the next few days.  This is going to be for a stock RO factory springs etc.  obviously I can change springs etc but never really followed ball gun loads.  I know it needs to be jacketed and I believe I can use the 185gr jhp ( any cheaper practice options)?  I’ll scan thru the pet loads as well.  Would love to hear what some are using with the stock RO.  I think I’ll shoot it a bit then send it off for a trigger job and maybe bushing.  Funny, I have a stock RO barrel sitting right here too haha. Spare?

Kind of fun being able to see my irons again.  I’ll have to get a dedicated set of glasses now!
lablover
lablover

Back to top Go down

Loading for a EIC ball gun Empty Re: Loading for a EIC ball gun

Post by Arthur 7/18/2019, 7:19 pm

Springfield R.O. 
Zero 185 JHP Win 231 5+ grains. Winchester brass Winchester primers. Factory recoil spring, KC roll trigger kit fitted by KC. 18 lb hammer spring. Stock bushing. 

Got my first points at Perry last weekend with this gun and load. 

Good luck
Arthur

Arthur

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce martindale 7/18/2019, 8:18 pm

You can use RN lead and BE for practice.

I brush out after using jacketed. Maybe same for lead before jkt again?

bruce martindale

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t20747-feeling-center-a-10-bullsey

Back to top Go down

Post by lablover 7/20/2019, 8:35 pm

I’m gonna load some 4.0 be under a 200 gr swc for practice and see what happens.  Also bought a few K of the Nosler son sale at midway and will try a 4.5 be under the 185 gr jhp. Also try 4.4 vv N310. I’m curious if I’ll have to drop the stock RO recoil spring much?
lablover
lablover

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 7/20/2019, 8:45 pm

4.5 BE will cycle even Godzilla’s ‘nads.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 7/20/2019, 9:38 pm

Since there have been ball gun ammo rules changes I take advantage of them. I never practice ball and just show up. In fact I've never owned a ball gun until recently. I borrow guns I build for my friends to shoot my yearly ball match in Phoenix at the mid winter championship. I use either 230 RN or 185 JHP with 3.8gr BE. I've been averaging 280+ for last few years. It shoots on call at 50 and is pleasant on the short line. Shooting a 900 SP match with hotter load would kick my butt. This match is 4 days long so I pace myself. I'm of the opinion that 95% of the shooters aren't shooting better scores with their super duper accurate ammo. Mild ammo is your friend.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by lablover 7/20/2019, 9:55 pm

Outstanding info......thank you
lablover
lablover

Back to top Go down

Post by lablover 7/20/2019, 9:59 pm

Jon Eulette wrote:Since there have been ball gun ammo rules changes I take advantage of them. I never practice ball and just show up. In fact I've never owned a ball gun until recently. I borrow guns I build for my friends to shoot my yearly ball match in Phoenix at the mid winter championship. I use either 230 RN or 185 JHP with 3.8gr BE. I've been averaging 280+ for last few years. It shoots on call at 50 and is pleasant on the short line. Shooting a 900 SP match with hotter load would kick my butt. This match is 4 days long so I pace myself. I'm of the opinion that 95% of the shooters aren't shooting better scores with their super duper accurate ammo. Mild ammo is your friend.
Jon
Jon, would you recommend a lighter recoil spring with that load.  My plan is 5o head to the range with several weight springs
lablover
lablover

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 7/20/2019, 10:27 pm

You'll most likely need lighter recoil spring.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down