Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I’m at my wits end..lead shaving

+11
jmdavis
Aprilian
gregbenner
243winxb
john bickar
PhotoEscape
Allgoodhits
james r chapman
Dr.Don
DA/SA
lablover
15 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

I’m at my wits end..lead shaving  - Page 3 Empty I’m at my wits end..lead shaving

Post by lablover Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:02 pm

First topic message reminder :

I’m at my wits end..lead shaving  - Page 3 C965f610
I’m at my wits end..lead shaving  - Page 3 237e8010
I’m at my wits end..lead shaving  - Page 3 Afdc4010Here is some photos of what I’m getting!  With the bullet seated you can hopefully see that thin shaved lead around the case mouth.  I’ve also included a empty case with amount of flare I’m using.  I don’t get this all the time but maybe 10 out of 100.  It’s making me insane!!!  The bad thing about it is if I don’t wipe it off it creates a chambering issue.  I also seem to get it with non coated bullets as well raw lead that is.  I’ve gone as far as belling lots more to the point that if I were to try and resize a belled case it would not go into the sizing die if I tried to resize it.  These are all Winchester cases.

What am I doing wrong?  The lead shaving will wipe off but I’d really like to not have to wipe every loaded round after the fact.  Jhp no issues what so ever!

all dies cleaned etc.

Help me keep whatever hair I have left!

Thanks everyone 

Joe
lablover
lablover

Back to top Go down

I’m at my wits end..lead shaving  - Page 3 Empty Re: I’m at my wits end..lead shaving

Post by lablover Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:04 pm

Wes Lorenz wrote:Just my .02 on sizing dies,
Use the 45 colt die for Lead bullets and use the 45acp die for Jacketed bullets.
Jacketed bullets, when used with a 45 colt die, can be pushed back in the case after crimping.
Hope this helps,
Wes
Thanks Wes, that was my plan.  I have a entire spare set of the Dillon .45 acp dies just for that.  No more changing seater etc
lablover
lablover

Back to top Go down

I’m at my wits end..lead shaving  - Page 3 Empty Re: I’m at my wits end..lead shaving

Post by james r chapman Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:18 pm

That’s a good idea, although I’ve found no issue if I avoid R-P cases.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary Wells Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:17 pm

If it happens only on 1 side that tells me that it is probably correctable. A good seater die may not be capable of correcting for bullets that do not have shoulders that are not square to the relative axis of the bullet. Could  be that the shell holder is not in alignment with everything. A while back I bought a Lyman die that was highly recommended and the threads on the lock-nut were so loose & not not square to the basic axis of the 
face of the lock-nut that I never used it. HTH.

Gary Wells

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary Wells Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:14 pm

Oops, my bad, I forgot to mention that sometimes the the cost of time & resources exceeds the resolution. I'm ridiculously anal and will generally enjoy finding a resolution to a problem.

Gary Wells

Back to top Go down

Post by whit223 Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:56 pm

Hi lablover, I’m a little late to your discussion, however did you find the solution to the issue you were having?

whit223

Back to top Go down

Post by lablover Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:25 am

whit223 wrote:Hi lablover, I’m a little late to your discussion, however did you find the solution to the issue you were having?
I did towards the end of page 2
lablover
lablover

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3