Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Automatic login to this forum no longer working for me

+10
1joel1
bob7398
javaduke
james r chapman
willnewton
TonyH
gregbenner
dronning
zanemoseley
mikemyers
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Automatic login to this forum no longer working for me Empty Automatic login to this forum no longer working for me

Post by mikemyers Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:34 pm

Not sure why, but I used to stay logged in here "forever".  Either that, or I logged in automatically when I came back.  Now, if I close the last window here, I get logged out, and need to log in again.   Am I doing something wrong, or did the settings change?
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Automatic login to this forum no longer working for me Empty Re: Automatic login to this forum no longer working for me

Post by zanemoseley Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:46 pm

PC, Android or iPhone? Which browser?

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Automatic login to this forum no longer working for me Empty Re: Automatic login to this forum no longer working for me

Post by dronning Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:10 pm

Not an issue with the forum,  still works for me on all PC's & all browsers - never did work on my iPhone.  Did you set your browser to automatically clean out it's cache, or change any security settings?
- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by gregbenner Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:57 pm

I use two different iPads, one keeps me logged in, the other will not.

gregbenner

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:13 pm

This happens to me with an iMac, using Safari browser.

Good ideas - I just opened a Chrome browser and logged in.  I'll see if that logs me out by tomorrow.
I will also log in from my MacBook Pro, and see if that stays logged in.

No, I didn't knowingly change anything.  Browser shouldn't be set to clean the cache.  

When I'm not using it, the iMac opens a screen saver, nothing more.....
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by TonyH Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:52 am

No issues with auto login using Safari on an iMac and an iPad.
This may be an obvious question, but is there a check mark in the "Log in automatically" box in the login screen? 
Automatic login to this forum no longer working for me Login10
TonyH
TonyH

Back to top Go down

Post by willnewton Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:37 am

It has been happening with me as well using Ipad and Safari. Very annoying and I have not been able to find a solution, even though I have spent a fair time digging for one.

More aggravating is that sometimes it remembers me or works fine if I am using the mobile version of the site, but then the site logs me out immediately if I switch to the ipad desktop version. Even more so is that this is only site giving me this issue.

I have had no login/out issues with an actual desktop computer using Firefox or Firefox on mobile.

I always use the “Log in automatically” box, but the site still doesn’t do so.

willnewton
willnewton
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:54 am

No problems with I-phone here, yet.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:24 am

Yes, I have the box checked for "automatic login", but that doesn't happen.

With Google Chrome though, it works fine.

If I had thought this out, that small checkbox IS the problem.  If I completely close my Chrome browser, and re-start it, then come here, I'm automatically logged in.

If I do the same thing w with Safari, I'm logged out and need to log in all over again manually.  

On my iMac, I'm using Mojave.  I'm afraid of how many things will be broken when I want to update to the latest version of the OS (being released soon) which only works with "16 bit programs" if I remember that correctly, but for now, the "AUTOMATIC LOGIN" no longer does so on my iMac.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by javaduke Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:02 am

I had the same problem and the solution was to clean up the cookies. They sometimes don't get removed automatically when they expire, which means you have to log in every time you visit the site.

javaduke

https://eb-custom.us

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:14 am

javaduke wrote:I had the same problem and the solution was to clean up the cookies. They sometimes don't get removed automatically when they expire, which means you have to log in every time you visit the site.
That did it!  Thanks!

First:   https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/safari-delete-cookies

Second, I selected the Bullseye Forum from the very long list, and

Third, I cleared data only for the Bullseye Forum.

Logged out, logged in once again, manually, logged out, and the next time I got logged in automatically.   Thanks!!
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by willnewton Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:40 am

I did not think about deleting the cookies because sometimes I am automatically logged in when I visit and sometimes am not with no apparent rhyme or reason to it.  So, I didn’t correlate the sporadic automatic log in with the cookies expiration.

Computers are funny things and I may have been trying to look too hard for the solution vs. starting with the basic, “Did you try turning it off and back on again?”. Smile

This time, I did clear the bullseye forum cookies out from Safari and was automatically logged in as expected.  I will know better over the next few days if this fixed my particular problem.

Mike posted a good link with instructions for those who would like to try themselves.  Make sure you use instruction set for selective cookie deletion, not ALL your cookies.
willnewton
willnewton
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:18 pm

Suggestion - at the risk of making the site more complicated, we could have a "troubleshooting and help" forum, with tips on how to fix things like this, or posting images.

Thanks to 'javaduke' I saved a lot of time searching and testing.  

A post about "automatic logon" could contain the link I found, and your advice on how to use it selectively.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by willnewton Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:48 am

And it stopped working again for me.

Sigh.

I may have switch browsers for this site if this keeps up.
willnewton
willnewton
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bob7398 Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:05 pm

And it stopped working for me too, using Firefox on my IPad.

bob7398

Back to top Go down

Post by javaduke Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:04 pm

Have you guys deleted your cookies again? It's 1st of the month, seems like forum's cookies expire every 30 days or so.
Works just fine for me.

javaduke

Back to top Go down

Post by 1joel1 Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:48 am

I bet ^^^. Yesterday, I had to login, but today, no problem.

Joel

1joel1

Back to top Go down

Post by gregbenner Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:17 am

Hmm I can’t even figure how to delete cookies, the instructions don’t work on my iPad.

gregbenner

Back to top Go down

Post by javaduke Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:45 am

Greg, on iOS (iPad or iPhone) you just open the Settings app, then tap Safari, then scroll down and tap on the "Clear History and Website Data". It does seem like it deletes everything though, apparently you can't cherry pick which data you want to remove and which data you keep (by data I mean all the junk that websites store on your device, like cached images, cookies, scripts, etc)

javaduke

Back to top Go down

Post by willnewton Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:38 pm

Actually you can by following/tapping the path:

Settings / Safari / Advanced (at bottom) / Website Data

This will pull up a list of the cookies stored on your iPad.  It may take a minute if you have a lot.

You can scroll to it or just type “bullseye” in the Search field and it will show you our site.

Tap the Edit button and then a red and white minus sign will appear next to the site name. Tap it.

Then tap the Delete button when it appears and your stored cookie is deleted.

Tap the Done button.

And you did it!
willnewton
willnewton
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 243winxb Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:30 pm

I am tired of having to login almost every time.  On 2 tablets, cell phone and computer.   

No other forum does auto log out every month.  Enough is enough.
243winxb
243winxb

Back to top Go down

Post by Bigtrout Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:39 am

I check the auto login box.  Once about every 7-10 days I have to log in.  That has been the rule since I joined in 2015.  All it takes is 2 key strokes as my pw is stored in dot form.
Bigtrout
Bigtrout

Back to top Go down

Post by rkittine Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:42 am

Box checked or not, every few days I have to re-log in.
rkittine
rkittine

Back to top Go down

Post by Vociferous Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:12 am

In all honesty, I've noticed I've had to sign in pretty often, nowadays.  Not every time, but several times in the last couple of weeks.
Vociferous
Vociferous

Back to top Go down

Post by javaduke Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:16 am

Folks, as many here have pointed out, every once in a while you have to clean up the cookies of this forum and then you can log in again and check the "Log in automatically" box. 
it's really not that difficult, these two links will have answers to all your questions:

https://www.webopedia.com/insights/all-about-cookies/
https://its.uiowa.edu/support/article/719

javaduke

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next