1911 Project Under Way

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

1911 Project Under Way - Page 3 Empty 1911 Project Under Way

Post by DA/SA on 30/9/2019, 7:19 pm

First topic message reminder :

I decided to try building a 1911 lower receiver when someone on here (jglenn21?) posted that Foster had them on sale.

First was to measure it a bit and find that the sides of the frame are basically parallel with the exception of a raised area on the right side where the roll mark and serial number were applied. The area was worked down using a fairly fine stone until flat.

The rails were then ground perfectly parallel to each other and to the centerline of the frame as well as centered on the frame. The slide I am planning on using now slides about a quarter of the way on without forcing it.

1911 Project Under Way - Page 3 FrqzHbyl

I worked on the setup until it was perfectly repeatable and only a few tenths deviation on the test indicator when sweeping the frame side for flatness. This way I can repeat the setup if I need to grind any further.

I had a little time left, so I went ahead a fit the trigger taking a thousandth at a time off of the upper surface until it just slit into the frame. 

1911 Project Under Way - Page 3 IQzx5dSl

1911 Project Under Way - Page 3 IZFvt22l

That's it for the first Saturday afternoon.

Just ordered some parts from EGW to give me something to do next Saturday afternoon...

I wasn't going to post this project, but I got inspired to give this project a try after seeing someone else's post, so perhaps this might inspire someone else to give it a try!

If there is any interest, I'll keep posting updates.

Last edited by DA/SA on 30/9/2019, 11:42 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo's)

DA/SA

Back to top Go down

1911 Project Under Way - Page 3 Empty Re: 1911 Project Under Way

Post by 10sandxs on 3/3/2020, 3:44 pm

DA/SA wrote:Did a bit more measuring I order to trim the barrel hood length.

Just used an adjustable parallel (and micrometer) to get the distance from the breech face to the slide locking lug.
▼▼▼
That is a great way to get a hard dimension accurately.  I've been using Jerry Keefer's trick of machining the top of the slide flush with the locking lug, but this is much faster with no chance of an accident.  thanks for sharing!

10sandxs

Back to top Go down

Post by DA/SA on 5/3/2020, 1:36 pm

Made a quick set up and ground the barrel hood to length last night. Took it down .011” and tried it in the slide and no go. Then took it down another .001” and still no go. Took off another .0005” and could feel it just start to drop into locking grooves. Ended up taking .0133” total off of the hood and it will lock up with a light tap with a screwdriver handle. Put a little bearing blue on the breech face and locked and unlocked it a dozen times and the blue revealed a slight high spot on the breech face. I’ll stone the breech face flat and it should lock up fine.
▼▼▼
1911 Project Under Way - Page 3 HwTMTDhl

DA/SA

Back to top Go down

Post by DA/SA on 7/3/2020, 1:16 am

Now I have a "safe" file for the next step of barrel fitting.
1911 Project Under Way - Page 3 61hsSbXl

DA/SA

Back to top Go down

Post by DA/SA on 9/3/2020, 11:26 pm

Got the upper lugs and barrel fitting in the slide the way I want them to, so I slid it onto the frame and tried a few gauge pins in the slide stop bore until it locked up tight. Looks like a 175” pin is it, so now I have a pretty good idea of what needs to be removed (right around .025") from the lower lugs to fit a .200” Slide Stop. 
1911 Project Under Way - Page 3 NYlFAR4l

Apparently, I neglected to order a Slide Stop, so I’ll get fitting it once I have one here.

DA/SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum