Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lubricant for sear/hammer engagement?

+23
mprince
oldeyes
Kp321
Merick
SingleActionAndrew
tovaert
Russ OR
Sa-tevp
-TT-
farmboy
Aprilian
Steve B
bruce martindale
TomH_pa
Jon Eulette
Ed Hall
kc.crawford.7
JIMPGOV
SW-52
chopper
mustachio
DA/SA
Tim:H11
27 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Lubricant for sear/hammer engagement? Empty Lubricant for sear/hammer engagement?

Post by Tim:H11 11/25/2019, 8:50 pm

How many of you guys here lubricate the sear and hammer engagement point and if so what do you use? I’ve heard a light coat of oil from some and I’ve also heard it’s best to use a specific lubricant or grease.. ???

Back to top Go down

Lubricant for sear/hammer engagement? Empty Re: Lubricant for sear/hammer engagement?

Post by DA/SA 11/25/2019, 8:52 pm

TW-25
DA/SA
DA/SA

kc.crawford.7 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Lubricant for sear/hammer engagement? Empty Re: Lubricant for sear/hammer engagement?

Post by mustachio 11/25/2019, 8:56 pm

I use Gunslick.
mustachio
mustachio

Back to top Go down

Post by chopper 11/25/2019, 9:06 pm

Molybdenum disulfide, super slippery stuff.

chopper

popchevy likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by SW-52 11/25/2019, 9:07 pm

TW25B
SW-52
SW-52

Back to top Go down

Post by JIMPGOV 11/25/2019, 9:11 pm

"Molybdenum disulfide", CUT WITH MILITEC. I SAW TONY KIDD PUT IT ON MY BERETTA HE BUILT ME. I'VE BEEN USING EVER SINCE. JP

JIMPGOV

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim:H11 11/25/2019, 9:34 pm

Okay new question: how often is application required?

Back to top Go down

Post by kc.crawford.7 11/26/2019, 6:29 am

When you start feeling the trigger "differently" or when you completely clean the bottom end.  And of course I recommend TW25-B also.
kc.crawford.7
kc.crawford.7

http://www.kcskustomcreations.com

dieselguy624 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DA/SA 11/26/2019, 6:37 am

I've seen 4 to 6 oz reduction in trigger weight by just disassembling, properly cleaning, and reassembling a frame assembly sparingly applying TW-25 to the moving parts. 

There used to be a paper published by MilCom on how to properly clean parts and apply TW-25. Basically, if you can see white, you've applied too much. 

Put a tiny bit between your thumb and finger and rub them together and you'll understand.
DA/SA
DA/SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Hall 11/26/2019, 9:15 am

I used to clean and lubricate with CLP before every match, but now I use moly and clean/lube a little less often.

The friction coefficient is different, depending on the lube, so make sure to adjust weight as needed.

Ed Hall

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 11/26/2019, 9:38 am

I'll second what Ed just said. Here's another thing to think about, it depends on what kind of trigger job you have. If you have a crisp trigger I would shoot the slickest oil I could find. If I shot a short roll that had feel or life to it I would use the thinnest oil or less viscous so that I don't lose the feel. As an aside, I have pistols that if you use a trigger shoe you cannot feel the roll anymore. So oil does have a very large play what your trigger feels like when you shoot it.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

adminbot1911 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim:H11 11/26/2019, 12:06 pm

Possibly a stupid question but has anyone tried white lithium grease? Just curious. I’ll have to see about getting some of that TW25B to try. Thanks all.

Back to top Go down

Post by TomH_pa 11/26/2019, 12:25 pm

I have tried a lot of different lubes on the hammer/sear interface and they all work to some extent but as Jon says, they all have a different feel. I think the lithium will have a feel more toward oil. The other thing to consider is if you oil your gun a lot like I do, how will the lube you use act once the oil reaches it? Nearly impossible to keep the oil from the slide rail out of the hammer area. For me the TW25 and the oil I use play nice together.

TomH_pa

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce martindale 11/26/2019, 4:31 pm

Some had recommended super lube, the synthetic stuff.

bruce martindale

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t20747-feeling-center-a-10-bullsey

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve B 11/26/2019, 6:57 pm

I use Loctite moly anti-seize compound at that location and also where the sear spring contacts the disconnector and sear.

Steve B

Back to top Go down

Post by Aprilian 12/2/2019, 4:16 pm

Last week I cleaned my lower and reassembled it with a thin moly assembly grease.   I shot it Saturday and didn't like the trigger feel (it seemed to have lost the roll).  So this weekend I completely disassembled everything again, cleaned it using Mil-Comm's cleaner and then applied a thin coat of Mil-Comm's TWB25 using their recommended mix 20% of TWB in 80% Isopropol alcohol in a spray bottle.   Wow, what a difference in the trigger feel, it has a nice short roll.  Now I know why KC recommends it.

I'm clearing all my other products off the bench now and ordered aerosol TWB25, which should get into the sear and hammer better than the pump spray mix for touch ups between cleanings.   Incidentally, I found the Mil-Comm revolver-branded can was cheaper per ounce than the standard aerosol - the formula looked to be identical.
Aprilian
Aprilian

Back to top Go down

Post by farmboy 12/3/2019, 6:40 am

DA/SA wrote:I've seen 4 to 6 oz reduction in trigger weight by just disassembling, properly cleaning, and reassembling a frame assembly sparingly applying TW-25 to the moving parts. 

There used to be a paper published by MilCom on how to properly clean parts and apply TW-25. Basically, if you can see white, you've applied too much. 

Put a tiny bit between your thumb and finger and rub them together and you'll understand.
Agree - important part to proper use.  If the parts are not cleaned properly  and then the TW-25 applied properly the expensive TW-25 acts like any other less expensive grease
farmboy
farmboy

Back to top Go down

Post by -TT- 12/3/2019, 1:03 pm

farmboy wrote:... the expensive TW-25 acts like ...

TW-25B is not expensive - properly applied a tube will last forever! I use it on everything - sear, slide, bolt, anything that slides across another surface. I like the 1.5oz syringe version best.
-TT-
-TT-

Back to top Go down

Post by Sa-tevp 5/6/2022, 8:21 pm

Happiness is a good search function in a forum.

I recently decided to eat my vegetables and set up my Nelson Conversion trigger to match my wad gun trigger (3.7ish pounds roll) as I need to get my 45 scores up. The NCG was a bit rough after sear spring adjustment so I pulled the hammer out and cleaned and applied moly paste.

22s are fun and easy to shoot but there is no escaping shooting the 45 if you want a classification card. Thanks all.

Add - As a dumb mechanic I like TW-25B for most contact points, differential lube for high pressure points (barrel links) and moly for hammer hooks. Superlube is great in revolver actions.
Sa-tevp
Sa-tevp

Back to top Go down

Post by Russ OR 5/6/2022, 11:26 pm

Neco Moly Slide   - Try it, you'll like it  1 oz will last almost forever.

https://www.neconos.com/item/MOLY-SLIDE-33

Russ OR

Back to top Go down

Post by tovaert 5/7/2022, 6:28 am

Thin film of Fomblin PFPE high vacuum grease. Other parts I use a cheap Park Tools synthetic grease (from local bike shop). Slide surface/contacts get a different treatment. I also have tried TW25B. I like that too. It's similar to Krytox.

tovaert

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce martindale 5/7/2022, 6:30 am

Russ OR wrote:Neco Moly Slide   - Try it, you'll like it  1 oz will last almost forever.

That's what Larry Carter used

bruce martindale

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t20747-feeling-center-a-10-bullsey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sa-tevp 5/7/2022, 11:49 am

bruce martindale wrote:
Russ OR wrote:Neco Moly Slide   - Try it, you'll like it  1 oz will last almost forever.

That's what Larry Carter used

That's what I applied.
Sa-tevp
Sa-tevp

Back to top Go down

Post by SingleActionAndrew 5/7/2022, 12:14 pm

Pardini USA recommends and sells a Moly type lubricant for sear surface. Looks maybe like the Neco but IIRC $8 for a half ounce tub from Pardini.

I like the aerosol idea. I use TW25b and their oils otherwise for all things.
SingleActionAndrew
SingleActionAndrew

Back to top Go down

Post by Merick 5/7/2022, 5:18 pm

Anybody ever mess with cmd extreme pressure lube?

Merick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next