Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

No luck with a S&W 4506 for Service Pistol

4 posters

Go down

No luck with a S&W 4506 for Service Pistol Empty No luck with a S&W 4506 for Service Pistol

Post by Sa-tevp 1/4/2020, 11:26 am

A few years ago when the CMP opened up the rules for what could be used for Service Pistol competition I bought a Smith & Wesson 4506 as I had run across many comments in other firearms forums praising its accuracy. I found a used one at a reasonable price and the seller assured me the DA/SA was just like his revolvers.

After not having success at 25 yards and 50 yards being a waste of ammo, I put the pistol in the back of the safe for a year or so. Other than the hood being fit to service tolerances I couldn't find anything mechanically wrong. The barrel crown was not damaged. Both Double Action and Single Action were mushy but the Single Action cleaned up a bit after I bought a bag of S&W Gen 3 parts and found a better trigger bar and sear match that also moved the trigger more forward from the frame. Due to running into a need for funds after my sons started driving I decided to try one more time and make a decision on the pistol.

I went to a local indoor club and ran two boxes of Atlanta Arms 185JHP through it and could, after a lot of effort two handed, mostly hold a B-8C at 25 yards. One handed was near impossible to be consistent with due to the slim grips. Since I already have a Colt Gold Cup that makes 4 inch/50 yard groups in a Ransom Rest I put the 4506 in the club's display case and it now has a new owner.

No luck with a S&W 4506 for Service Pistol Img_3355

I'm still scratching my head over what non-competition contributors in other firearms forums consider as the criteria for accuracy.
Sa-tevp
Sa-tevp

Back to top Go down

No luck with a S&W 4506 for Service Pistol Empty Re: No luck with a S&W 4506 for Service Pistol

Post by dronning 1/4/2020, 11:39 am

Sa-tevp wrote:I'm still scratching my head over what non-competition contributors in other firearms forums consider as the criteria for accuracy.
The spread is from it goes bang to center mass on a B-27E @ 7yds.
- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

No luck with a S&W 4506 for Service Pistol Empty Re: No luck with a S&W 4506 for Service Pistol

Post by Outthere 1/4/2020, 12:32 pm

The 845 is a different story. Best trigger I've ever had.
Outthere
Outthere

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X 1/4/2020, 12:38 pm

From my experience, the guns to consider trying on the CMP list are SIG P210, Sig P220, Springfield XDM Comp and some CZ / EAA  models set up for IPSC / USPSA limited that meet the model numbers on the list.  (And I would also add the S&W Model 15 since they put it on the list if you want to do revolver!)

While you may find good to really good examples, accuracy wise, for some of the others; these are ones I've seen and shot that have a better than average chance of getting accuracy at 25 and 50 that would be somewhat usable.  

As always, YMMV and there are always exceptions both ways.  Now, everyone can jump in and have at it with their opinions. 

(Yea, its raining here and there's not much else to do today......)

CR

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Post by Sa-tevp 1/4/2020, 1:29 pm

Outthere wrote:The 845 is a different story. Best trigger I've ever had.

Weird, the CMP goes 645 - 745 - 4506 (If I have the model progression right.)

http://thecmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2020PistolRules.pdf
Sa-tevp
Sa-tevp

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down