Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to secure repair center to target - Looking for ideas

+9
Ray Bersch
patch175
jchurch
Al
bruce martindale
james r chapman
impalanut
Ed Hall
Slartybartfast
13 posters

Go down

How to secure repair center to target - Looking for ideas Empty How to secure repair center to target - Looking for ideas

Post by Slartybartfast 2/21/2020, 10:38 am

So, here's the situation: 
At my previous club, targets were hung on a wire at the target line with clothes pins.
Eventually, I came up with the idea to use a foam-board backer, installed hooks, glued a target to it, and used photo corners to hold repair centres.
Worked perfectly. Never had a repair centre fall out. Changing them was quick and easy. One foam board and target lasted me a VERY long time.

Now, I'm at a club with motorised target retrieval and target backers hanging from wires. The carrier bounces so much that the repair centre bounces out of the photo corners.

So I would really like to find some way to clip/secure the repair centre to the backer/target without using staples or glue.
Slartybartfast
Slartybartfast

Back to top Go down

How to secure repair center to target - Looking for ideas Empty Re: How to secure repair center to target - Looking for ideas

Post by Ed Hall 2/21/2020, 11:00 am

If you're still using a sturdy enough backer, you could try some short dry wall screws from the back, positioned so you can push the center onto the screws at the center's corners.  We (and several other places) use a similar setup for our 50 ft Indoor leagues.

Ed Hall

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/

Back to top Go down

How to secure repair center to target - Looking for ideas Empty Re: How to secure repair center to target - Looking for ideas

Post by Slartybartfast 2/21/2020, 11:15 am

Ed Hall wrote:you could try some short dry wall screws from the back, positioned so you can push the center onto the screws at the center's corners
Neat idea, might try it. But makes transporting the backer annoying (I transported the backers in an artist folio). Would have to install and remove the screws at the range each time. Not certain the foam board would hold up.
Slartybartfast
Slartybartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by impalanut 2/21/2020, 11:31 am

Glue stick?

impalanut

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 2/21/2020, 11:48 am

We use the corners off repair centers, glued or taped on the backer.
Basically very large photo corners

How to secure repair center to target - Looking for ideas 76565810
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce martindale 2/21/2020, 4:00 pm

Pins, the ones with a 22 shell like body

bruce martindale

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t20747-feeling-center-a-10-bullsey

Back to top Go down

Post by Slartybartfast 2/21/2020, 4:57 pm

james r chapman wrote:We use the corners off repair centers, glued or taped on the backer.
Basically very large photo corners
I think the simple answer is the winner!
And all I can think is WTH didn't I think to try that? Once again stuck because I was over-thinking it.
Slartybartfast
Slartybartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 2/21/2020, 5:20 pm

How to secure repair center to target - Looking for ideas 2935285009
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Al 2/21/2020, 8:12 pm

Been using staples outdoors for number of years, any reason why not indoors?

Al

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 2/21/2020, 8:59 pm

Indoors on backers cut fingers
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jchurch 2/21/2020, 10:05 pm

2 in squares cut from old targets filded once i to triangles work quite well.  Sorry no photo.

Jim

jchurch

Back to top Go down

Post by patch175 2/23/2020, 7:25 am

Been using 1/4" JT21 for 20+ years on cardboard backers. Just make sure your fingers are not behind the place where you stapling (that hurts). Outdoors in the wind may need extra stables to hold the target on the cardboard. Indoor a staple in 2 diagonal corners works fine for me.

patch175

Back to top Go down

Post by Ray Bersch 2/24/2020, 9:17 am

james r chapman wrote:Indoors on backers cut fingers
I have been using staples ever since I started shooting - well, ok, that's been two years - but I remove all staples from my backers as a common courtesy to the next shooter - and wish more would do the same.
Ray Bersch
Ray Bersch

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning 2/24/2020, 9:27 am

Ray Bersch wrote:
I have been using staples ever since I started shooting - well, ok, that's been two years - but I remove all staples from my backers as a common courtesy to the next shooter - and wish more would do the same.

+1 on using staples, I have a staple remover in my shoot box, on the rare occasion I'm not carrying my toad stabber.
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by sbtzc 2/24/2020, 10:18 am

Masking tape
sbtzc
sbtzc

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 2/24/2020, 10:44 am

dronning wrote:
Ray Bersch wrote:

+1 on using staples, I have a staple remover in my shoot box, on the rare occasion I'm not carrying my toad stabber.
My staple gun is equipped with an integral staple remover on the bottom, on the opposite end where the staples come out. It has a pointed end. Don't the new ones come with that?
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Slartybartfast 2/24/2020, 2:47 pm

I carry my backer home with me.
If I keep it to the repair centre, I can be using the same target and backer for a very long time.
So besides the issues with staples in my carry bag, run out of places to securely staple eventually.
Besides, pulling the old repair centre out and sticking a new one in is so quick and easy using corners.
Slartybartfast
Slartybartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning 2/24/2020, 3:35 pm

BE Mike wrote:My staple gun is equipped with an integral staple remover on the bottom, on the opposite end where the staples come out. It has a pointed end. Don't the new ones come with that?
I may have to upgrade - LOL
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by sharkdoctor 2/24/2020, 6:17 pm

I can't believe I am responding to a string on how to attach centers lol! but here goes.  I and fellow competitors have been using a stapler for eons at local, state and regional matches - wherever there has been a match - all but the nationals where we get new paper and backers.  Works well, and easy to remove staples - just pull the stack of centers.  I will add my pet peeve are the shooters using those huge industrial Arrow staples that are dangerous to those repairing and replacing backers.  JT21's and similar work well.

Oh, and if you use colored masking tape or corners so that you might better recognize your target and reduce crossfires, see rule 14.11.

sharkdoctor

Back to top Go down

Post by Slartybartfast 2/25/2020, 10:00 am

sharkdoctor wrote:Oh, and if you use colored masking tape or corners so that you might better recognize your target and reduce crossfires, see rule 14.11.

It's amusing that people really seem stuck on repeating that staples are the standard. Anytime I'm at a range that has target holders that secure the backer, I use staples. Particularly outdoors where even stapled centres can come free in the wind. But where I shoot regularly is indoors with suspended targets. Good luck holding the backer, the target you're trying to put up, and the stapler. So tape is used. Haven't been to a huge number of indoor ranges, but seems to me that taping targets to backers is standard everywhere that there's an overhead retrieval system.

This isn't for use in competition so an over zealous interpretation of rule 14.11 is irrelevant.

But in the interest of realistic training I want the target to not look any different. So, going to try folded corners and transparent tape. Shouldn't be noticeable with the target at the back of the room ~23yds

My next step I suppose is to finally relent and start using NRA targets and not the Shooting Federation of Canada reduced ISSF targets (which are cheap and easy to obtain because I can print them myself).
Slartybartfast
Slartybartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down