Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Selling advice - DFW

+2
mspingeld
JStamp71
6 posters

Go down

Selling advice - DFW Empty Selling advice - DFW

Post by JStamp71 5/16/2020, 8:17 pm

Hi there, new here for the second time. I was a member 15yrs ago when I was active in a league and now I'm considering selling some of my old bullseye gear since I've been out of the game for so long. My old league was at the Cherry Creek Gun Club and if you have a copy of the 2003 national results I can be found on page 22 in the rankings. 

Do you have any advice on how I can establish myself as a reputalble seller for high priced items when I don't have recent history on the forum?

For instance, I have a 2002 Les Baer bullseye gun with frame optical mount, Ultra-Dot and Nill grips that has seen one winter of use since I shot just rimfire for years before I got a centerfire. A set of Herrett's N-45's NIB, a complete fully loaded Dillon XL 650 set up for 45acp, some old Star cast wadcutters and a mix of once shot and new Starline brass. I think I'll hang onto the Sig Trailside set up I have for rimfire in case I find another league near me at some point. 

I'll be selling from my location in Fort Worth, Texas. Do you think local sales are likely for these items or the interest will likely require shipping?

Thanks,

Jesse

JStamp71

Back to top Go down

Selling advice - DFW Empty Re: Selling advice - DFW

Post by mspingeld 5/17/2020, 9:11 am

List your items in the commercial row section of this forum. Include you name, price, accurate descriptions and lots of pictures. If someone shows interest, you can discuss the payment and transaction details with them directly. I've bought & sold things on the forum and have had good experiences but usually payment is made before items are shipped so the risk belongs to the buyer. Either the seller never ships or the item is not exactly as described.

To be a good seller, highlight every flaw and scratch on the item in your listing. That shows credibility. Finally, if you know any of the other members of this forum, ask them to post a reference under your listing. That will add a measure of comfort for a buyer.

I don't recommend limiting your target to your local area. This forum is worldwide. Listing here exposes your item to a lot more people.

Good luck!

mspingeld
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 5/17/2020, 10:56 am

+1 mspingeld - all good advice.

This forum is a good place to sell a wad gun. Another option is GunBroker, but take note that they charge (reasonable, IMHO) commission. Full disclosure and lots of pictures are best wherever you list. Find yourself a convenient local FFL who will handle handgun shipments, they usually charge a ($25 to $50) fee, but they are permitted to ship via USPS Priority Mail which is usually much cheaper than Fedex/UPS. All sales must go to the Buyer's FFL anyhow.

For reloading stuff other options are eBay (commission) or Craigslist (free & much better for local face-to-face sales). There are other places - Facebook marketplace? - but I'm not familiar with them.

Shipping cost for an XL650 will be significant (if you don't have the original carton be sure to wrap and pack very carefully - rigid cardboard drawing tubes or a short length of 2" plastic pipe are useful for primer tubes n stuff). USPS flat rate boxes are perfect for brass and bullets. Bullet vendors typically nest one box inside another and use stout tape to hold it all together strongly. 

I expect that you will get a lot of interest in your Dillon from both the "run'n'gun" crowd and Bullseye shooters. Local gun clubs and possibly gun shops in your immediate area might let you post for sale notices.

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 5/17/2020, 12:28 pm

You also might want to link up on Facebook with the Texas Precision Pistol Network.
remember, don't post anything about money on there.
But, I'm sure locals will be interested.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by cdrt 5/17/2020, 3:07 pm

The Texas State Outdoor Championship is going to be held at the Dallas Pistol Club on Labor Day weekend.   It's a ways off, but you might check with Joe Cawthon, since he is running the Bullseye matches there, since Buddy retired.  If you don't have his number, PM me and I'll give you his contact info.  He is not on Facebook.
cdrt
cdrt

Back to top Go down

Post by JStamp71 5/17/2020, 7:48 pm

Thanks for the advice guys, good points all around. 

I got everything out and after having a good look at it all I think I'd like to try to find a place here in the DFW area to shoot a couple of matches again. It feels like it would make sense to see if the hobby is still as fun for me as it was 15yrs ago before I pull the trigger on selling it all off. 

Also, I'd like to load up a few hundred rounds and confirm that the Dillion is dialed perfectly before advertising it as ready to go since it's been boxed up for so long. I want to be sure every little part is still there and working as intended. 

I'm putting the TX championship on my calendar right now, that might be better timing as it will give me the summer to see if the passion for the sport is still there or not. 

Thanks again

JStamp71

Back to top Go down

Post by Lightfoot 5/18/2020, 9:24 am

JStamp71 wrote:Thanks for the advice guys, good points all around. 

I got everything out and after having a good look at it all I think I'd like to try to find a place here in the DFW area to shoot a couple of matches again. It feels like it would make sense to see if the hobby is still as fun for me as it was 15yrs ago before I pull the trigger on selling it all off. 

Also, I'd like to load up a few hundred rounds and confirm that the Dillion is dialed perfectly before advertising it as ready to go since it's been boxed up for so long. I want to be sure every little part is still there and working as intended. 

I'm putting the TX championship on my calendar right now, that might be better timing as it will give me the summer to see if the passion for the sport is still there or not. 

Thanks again
DPC will hold a CMP sanctioned match June 7th.  Come on out and shake the rust off.  We've got a great group of shooters, and Dallas has a nice crop of newer shooters coming along.
Lightfoot
Lightfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by JIMPGOV 5/18/2020, 11:55 am

JStamp71  THATS SOLID THINKING

JIMPGOV

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down