Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Co-witnessing a Ruger MKIV Target w/Burris FF III

5 posters

Go down

Burris - Co-witnessing a Ruger MKIV Target w/Burris FF III Empty Co-witnessing a Ruger MKIV Target w/Burris FF III

Post by tovaert 6/3/2020, 9:00 am

As the title suggests I am wondering if anyone has heard of co-witnessing metallic sights and a red dot on a MK pistol. MaddMacs Tactical makes a low-profile FF III mount (0.083" above the receiver). The minimum height of the FF III is roughly 0.420". It seems to me that would then require a tall custom front blade sight and rear sight (perhaps fitted in the dovetail?). Suggestions appreciated.

tovaert

Back to top Go down

Burris - Co-witnessing a Ruger MKIV Target w/Burris FF III Empty Re: Co-witnessing a Ruger MKIV Target w/Burris FF III

Post by David R 6/4/2020, 6:35 am

I would only want co witness sights if it is a self defense gun. All of my target guns with have dot sights only.

In my opinion co witness sights clutter up the view of the target.

David
David R
David R

Back to top Go down

Burris - Co-witnessing a Ruger MKIV Target w/Burris FF III Empty Re: Co-witnessing a Ruger MKIV Target w/Burris FF III

Post by james r chapman 6/4/2020, 8:48 am

My Ruger never lost its rear or front sight when I installed their scope rail.
No reason to “co witness” imho
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tovaert 6/4/2020, 9:46 pm

Let me clarify...it's for my (plinker) Dad, not a Bullseye shooter. He does not like the process of hunting around for the 3MOA dot, but he likes shooting with it. His eyesight is not good enough for irons alone. He can line them up, so I thought if I could bring the irons and dot in view (relatively close together) through the FF III window, that would be helpful. I've seen it done (online) on Glocks. I was just curious if anyone has seen it done on a MK pistol. If not, no worries, I can design/machine a taller (fixed) rear and front sight pair.

tovaert

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 6/5/2020, 5:04 am

Ahhh

I think a post affixed to the rail centered on the dot might serve the same purpose for locating the dot
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by -TT- 6/5/2020, 6:45 am

I had shoulder surgery last fall and had to switch hands. I had a lot of trouble at first finding the dot, and had great success with this Red Dot Finder that I engineered after hours at the workbench. See attached photos of it installed on my AW93.

I bet your Dad could use this for a while, and get the hang of it. And it's easy to keep in the bottom of the range bag any time it's helpful.

Worked for me!
Attachments
Burris - Co-witnessing a Ruger MKIV Target w/Burris FF III Attachment
SightFinder.jpg You don't have permission to download attachments.(120 Kb) Downloaded 2 times
Burris - Co-witnessing a Ruger MKIV Target w/Burris FF III Attachment
SightView.jpg You don't have permission to download attachments.(94 Kb) Downloaded 5 times
-TT-
-TT-

Back to top Go down

Post by David R 6/5/2020, 7:27 am

Good one TT!  I like it. 

I put a Burris FF III on a 4" 9mm 1911.  I had the frame milled  The sight has a whit line on the back. I can see my front sight.  I can line up the white line and front sight and hit what I am aiming at.  The dot does NOT fall on the front sight.  

I tell people look at the white line, look at the front sight and tip the front of the gun down and the dot is there.

After a little shooting, the dot just shows up.

The co witness sight is a thing with me.  I hate them.  I sent my Dan Wesson to the factory to have it milled for a Burris FF III.  They could only do Trijicon and ONLY with co witness sights.  I had them send it back without the work.  At first the only way I could get a slide milled for even a Trijicon was to have a plate adapter with co witness sights.  Finally I had  Joe Chambers mill the co witness sight off his plate.  If you do use a taller rear sight, the front sight becomes like a fence post.  It hampers holstering of the gun and screws up the view through the dot sight.  
Again just my opinion.

David.
David R
David R

Back to top Go down

Post by hg401 6/15/2020, 1:22 pm

tovaert wrote:Let me clarify...it's for my (plinker) Dad, not a Bullseye shooter. He does not like the process of hunting around for the 3MOA dot, but he likes shooting with it. His eyesight is not good enough for irons alone. He can line them up, so I thought if I could bring the irons and dot in view (relatively close together) through the FF III window, that would be helpful. I've seen it done (online) on Glocks. I was just curious if anyone has seen it done on a MK pistol. If not, no worries, I can design/machine a taller (fixed) rear and front sight pair.

An alternative approach to accomplishing the same end result would be a grip mount that places the red dot over the iron sights.  Though you might not like the height of the red dot over the barrel.

hg401

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down