Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need advice for friend

5 posters

Go down

Need advice for friend Empty Need advice for friend

Post by huntingnt 3/10/2013, 3:22 pm

My friend wants to go shooting with me and get a pistol. The problem being he is right eye dominant and is missing half of his right index finger. Obviously shooting right handed will be a bit of a trick with one finger less on the grip. Shooting left handed takes it away from the dominant eye.
Any suggestions and experience with this matter would be helpful.
huntingnt
huntingnt

Back to top Go down

Need advice for friend Empty Re: Need advice for friend

Post by Ed Hall 3/10/2013, 3:49 pm

Cross dominance is a minor issue - gripping is a major one - and, the trigger will always trump the sights in level of importance.

But, the first thing to consider is whether he wants to compete and/or have fun at this point. He can have a lot of fun playing with different holds and sighting, without having to become a serious competitor.

If he wants to delve straight into competition, I'd have him start with his left hand and right eye, and work from there. Two things will need to be foremost: 1 - learn how to hold and stand such that the sighting system is aligned (with the dominant eye) when the gun comes up to target level, and 2 - learn how to manipulate the trigger while perfecting number 1.

These are not exclusive, so experimentation may cause number 1 to be modified to meet number 2. But, the same can be said for someone with matched dominance.

Ed Hall

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/

Back to top Go down

Post by AllAces 3/10/2013, 4:17 pm

I'm right handed and left eye dominant. I shoot right eye with iron sights using an adjustable iris. For red dots I use my left eye. Have your friend try some different ways of shooting left handed and use what work. Take the time and help him find what works.
AllAces
AllAces

Back to top Go down

Post by xmastershooter 3/11/2013, 11:15 pm

The following article was written to help shooters take away the mystery about eye dominance.
http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/nra/ssusa_201302/index.php#/22
Shooting with cross-dominance has not been a problem for me and many others. However, the eye dominance may not be very defined for many of us and switching eyes may not be a problem at all.

xmastershooter

Back to top Go down

Post by Founder 3/12/2013, 9:11 pm

I had to switch hands due to an injury. Left eye dominate shooting right handed. It was just another way to shoot, apply the principles of trigger control, adjust sights as needed and have fun!

A couple weeks ago my left hand got tired shooting (still out of shape for a lack of range time) so I shot the last 30 rounds right handed. I discovered that zero is zero with either hand when using a dot!
Founder
Founder

https://www.bullseyeforum.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down