Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Putting an UltraDot Match Dot on a Model 41

+3
zanemoseley
REConley
PaperSniperr
7 posters

Go down

Putting an UltraDot Match Dot on a Model 41 Empty Putting an UltraDot Match Dot on a Model 41

Post by PaperSniperr 10/22/2020, 3:07 pm

This is about the recent manufacture 5.5 inch Performance Center barrel with the integral picatinny rail.  I want to mount my UltraDot MatchDot, but if I use the included rings I cannot get enough clearance over the rear sight. I am attempting to get the scope mounted pretty much over the trigger guard area, which puts the rear of the sight over the rear sight. I would prefer not to remove the rear sight. I only need maybe .1 inch more ring height for the scope to clear.

I have been looking at rings, and boy is there a lack of info on ring height and weight! I'd really like something light, like the aluminum rings that come with the UltraDot. Wish they offered a higher ring. That would be perfect.

Any suggestions? I have seen a photo where someone mounted a Mathdot II on a pistol like mine, but perhaps it came with slightly taller rings? Right now I think I will order a set of high Burris Zee Rings #420077 (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000K5R4LS/?coliid=I3CGEF57BI2K5V&colid=ZNGDY9YIZU0S&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it) and try them. But it would be nice to no have to randomly keep trying rings until I can find some that fit! Sad 

I wanna go shooting! Cool

PaperSniperr

Back to top Go down

Putting an UltraDot Match Dot on a Model 41 Empty Re: Putting an UltraDot Match Dot on a Model 41

Post by REConley 10/22/2020, 3:45 pm

Look at cantilevered AR scope mounts. Many different heights and some are angled up in the rear providing a little more clearance for the spent case to clear.  

Example:       https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2420197402
REConley
REConley

LenV likes this post

Back to top Go down

Putting an UltraDot Match Dot on a Model 41 Empty Re: Putting an UltraDot Match Dot on a Model 41

Post by zanemoseley 10/22/2020, 3:52 pm

I have a 41 PC and put a MD2 on it, I used the stock MD rings and just put both rings up front, the front ring is actually on the sun shade extension tube.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by Tripscape 10/22/2020, 4:10 pm

I totally agree with what both guys before me said. When in doubt use 2 rings or cantilever front mount. I know I did not add anything new, but vote is yes, these would be right solutions Smile

Tripscape

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 10/22/2020, 8:35 pm

I’ve used the high versions of these.  They work great.

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/1362186516
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by REConley 10/22/2020, 8:53 pm

A word of caution, a military spec mount will not fit the S&W Picatinny Type barrel.
REConley
REConley

Back to top Go down

Post by PaperSniperr 10/23/2020, 6:48 am

REConley wrote:Look at cantilevered AR scope mounts. Many different heights and some are angled up in the rear providing a little more clearance for the spent case to clear.  

Example:       https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2420197402

Thanks for that suggestion. That would work, but I'd like to keep the height of the UltraDot as low as possible.

PaperSniperr

Back to top Go down

Post by PaperSniperr 10/23/2020, 6:53 am

zanemoseley wrote:I have a 41 PC and put a MD2 on it, I used the stock MD rings and just put both rings up front, the front ring is actually on the sun shade extension tube.

If you posted a photo of your M41 earlier, that might be the one I saw about a month ago. For some reason I cannot get my UD MD (not 2, the original) mounted that way. Even with the rear sight's elevation adjustment screw bottomed out, there is still not a gap between the UD MD and the M81's sight. I don't want those two in contact, even a 1mm gap would be okay. I suppose either there is a variance in the rings supplied by UD?

I ended up ordering those Burris rings I mentioned earlier. I don't need the weight, but it seems to be the most direct solution. I plan to mount both rings forward of the "adjustment area" on my MD - as you did.

PaperSniperr

Back to top Go down

Post by PaperSniperr 10/23/2020, 6:59 am

Wobbley wrote:I’ve used the high versions of these.  They work great.

That's a good idea. How is their weight; steel/alloy? Got a photo? They appear to be a tiny bit taller than the Burris rings. I may return the Burris rings for your suggestion if the weight is okay. I really don't see a need for steel rings on a 22's "non-reciprocating" slide.

PaperSniperr

Back to top Go down

Post by PaperSniperr 10/23/2020, 7:00 am

REConley wrote:A word of caution, a military spec mount will not fit the S&W Picatinny Type barrel.

Hmmm. Not sure what that might be.....just have to try a set of rings to see I suppose......

PaperSniperr

Back to top Go down

Post by REConley 10/23/2020, 7:03 am

This is the low mount solution I finally came to after trying many options. I prefer the 41 to be balance neutral to slightly mussel heavy. My 5 1/2", pistol shown, is about neutral and the 6 1/2" is less neutral. While I prefer the feel of the 5 1/2 I shoot the 6 1/2 better.  

Putting an UltraDot Match Dot on a Model 41 Model_10
REConley
REConley

Back to top Go down

Post by REConley 10/23/2020, 7:12 am

PaperSniperr wrote:
REConley wrote:A word of caution, a military spec mount will not fit the S&W Picatinny Type barrel.

Hmmm. Not sure what that might be.....just have to try a set of rings to see I suppose......

MIL-STD-1913 rail specification is different from what S&W uses for their rail. A Sig Sauer Romeo 5, for example, has a mount designed for the military spec. The recoil lug on the Romeo is between 4 - 5 thousand larger than the slots on the S&W.  A call to S&W support will get you a response that S&W uses a Picatinny "TYPE" rail.  Any scope mount you buy needs to say it is compatible with Weaver not M 1913. 
REConley
REConley

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 10/23/2020, 12:16 pm

PaperSniperr wrote:
Wobbley wrote:I’ve used the high versions of these.  They work great.

That's a good idea. How is their weight; steel/alloy? Got a photo? They appear to be a tiny bit taller than the Burris rings. I may return the Burris rings for your suggestion if the weight is okay. I really don't see a need for steel rings on a 22's "non-reciprocating" slide.
I use the alloy rings.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 10/23/2020, 11:37 pm

There is another solution if you don't have room for two rings. Burris makes a very nice single ring that works great on scopes like the Aimpoint Comps. They are like putting a ring and a half on but take up less space. There are a lot of knock offs in aluminum that would work just great on a .22. Here is a picture of one on a 41 of mine. They have 6 screws to clamp and use a bolt to secure to the rail. Another great choice is Weaver Tactical rings. They come in extra high and for 22.00 right now on EBay you could buy a pair of them. NFI

Putting an UltraDot Match Dot on a Model 41 20200121
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by PaperSniperr 10/25/2020, 10:10 am

I'm the OP. I ordered and received the Burris rings 420077. Tried to mount them on the M41 rail: they would not fit unless I pried the base open enough to fit the rail. I was not willing to do that. In addition, those rings looked to be identical in height to the rings included with the UltraDot, so probably would not have solved the clearance problem. So, I took one of the UTG Low quick-detach sights off my Buck Mark and used that on the Model 41. I used the OEM UD rings on the Buck Mark. That worked perfectly on both pistols. I am using just the one UTG ring on the M41. Clearance between the UltraDot and my M41 rear iron sight is 2-3mm; just enough.
Attachments
Putting an UltraDot Match Dot on a Model 41 Attachment
M41 5.5 inch UTG Ring UD MD 04.jpg You don't have permission to download attachments.(151 Kb) Downloaded 13 times

PaperSniperr

Back to top Go down

Post by PaperSniperr 10/25/2020, 10:14 am

LenV wrote:There is another solution if you don't have room for two rings. Burris makes a very nice single ring that works great on scopes like the Aimpoint Comps. They are like putting a ring and a half on but take up less space. There are a lot of knock offs in aluminum that would work just great on a .22. Here is a picture of one on a 41 of mine. They have 6 screws to clamp and use a bolt to secure to the rail. Another great choice is Weaver Tactical rings. They come in extra high and for 22.00 right now on EBay you could buy a pair of them.  NFI

Putting an UltraDot Match Dot on a Model 41 20200121

Looks like a very good solution. Thanks for taking the time to reply with that great looking photograph!

PaperSniperr

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H 10/28/2020, 6:46 am

I have some 30mm HIGH Leupold Rifleman rings. 
Leupold #  171479
https://www.leupold.com/scope-mounts/rifleman-detachable-30-mm-high-rings

The appear to have about 3/8" between the rail top and scope bottom

https://www.opticsplanet.com/leupold-rifleman-30mm-detachable-rings-med-matte.html
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down