Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Questions Re SA Custom Shop 1911 Bullseye Wad Gun

+18
SteveHorsman
crmath
Sc0
Caster3845
TomH_pa
mikemyers
Olde Pilot
Wobbley
zanemoseley
LenV
SteveT
spursnguns
chiz1180
weber1b
Dr.Don
BE Mike
james r chapman
GME
22 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Questions Re SA Custom Shop 1911 Bullseye Wad Gun - Page 3 Empty Questions Re SA Custom Shop 1911 Bullseye Wad Gun

Post by GME Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:09 pm

First topic message reminder :

I've been looking at the Springfield Armory 1911 Wad Gun built in SA's Custom Shop.  Here are my questions: (1) If I were to buy their gun, is it likely to need additional gunsmith work, or would I be good to go for Bullseye competition purposes?  (2)  If I were to buy a milspec, or a Range Officer, and hand it over to a gunsmith to give me similar features, should I expect the total cost to be more or less than this pistol, which has an MSRP of right at $2600,

SA's advertising about the gun (what you get) is as follows:

• Custom fit slide to national match frame
  • Custom fit match barrel & bushing
  • Polished feed ramp & throated barrel
  • Springfield Custom tool steel match hammer & sear
  • Fitted speed trigger w/custom tuned 3.5 lb. trigger pull
  • Tuned for total reliability
  • Lowered & flared ejection port
  • Tuned & polished extractor
  • Full length recoil spring assembly
  • Custom fit beavertail grip safety
  • Custom fit single side extended thumb safety

• Frame or slide mounted rail scope mount
  • Precision checkered front strap, 20LPI
  • Beveled & polished magazine well
  • Precision checkered flat mainspring housing
  • Checkered cocobolo grips
  • Premium Black T finish complete
  • Slide mounted scope mount
  • 2 magazines

Here's a photo of the pistol:

Questions Re SA Custom Shop 1911 Bullseye Wad Gun - Page 3 PC9302-1024x770

A little bit about me.  I'm retired and turn 71 in Nov.  When I was in my late 20s or early 30s I shot some bullseye with a club in Indiana.  I only shot rim and center fire, but never bought a 1911 .45.  I had a blast, and even did some reloading with my father-in-law's reloading gear.  I shot in the mid 80s.  Occasionally, I did a little better.  Unfortunately, I didn't get a whole lot of guidance on how to improve, so it was hit & miss (pun intended) on developing good habits and getting rid of the bad ones.  I bought a Mod 41 (long barrel) and M52-2. All my shooting was done with them.

I moved for new job and fell out of shooting.  Literally decades went by without my even picking up my guns.  Fortunately, they were put away clean and well oiled.  They've held up well over the years and will probably always shoot far better than I do.

In the last few months, I decided to get back into bullseye style shooting.  I had a supply of 40 year old ammo laying around, so I hit an indoor range with 25 yard lanes, and gave it a tumble.  Not unexpectedly, I didn't go great, although I hit the slow fire target more often than I missed completely.  The scores weren't worth tallying.  Part of my problem was old eyes not getting along well with iron sights.  So, I decided to try a Matchdot II for each pistol.  I bought a new barrel for the 41, since mine wasn't drilled for a rail and I wanted to keep the original barrel pristine.  I got a rail from BME for my M52, which attaches in place of the rear sight.  Very slick setup.  I got lucky; neither red dot has negative magnification.  Anyway, they made a big difference.  Now, I'm shooting in the upper 70s to mid 80s on the 25 yd slow fire target, which is significantly better than where I started.  I'm not missing the target anymore.   My wobble is still pretty bad, but getting better with time and practice.

I've been reading up on and practicing the fundamentals.  I need to get into a dryfire routine, but competing priorities have been getting in the way.  And yes, I know I need more dedication to training.

Finally, I have NO interest in shooting CMP.  My eyes are not going to let me get anywhere with CMP, and the red dot already has me spoiled.  Also, I'm not in the market for 2 .45s.  

Thank you for your help,

Gary

GME

Back to top Go down

Questions Re SA Custom Shop 1911 Bullseye Wad Gun - Page 3 Empty Re: Questions Re SA Custom Shop 1911 Bullseye Wad Gun

Post by GME Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:31 pm

SteveHorsman wrote:I am new here, but wanted to reply, I work for Springfield Armory, and just checked, we have three of the hardball and wadcutter guns in stock.  If you interested just PM me and I can help you order.  You should have within a week.  It has to ship to your FFL/Dealer.    Steve

Steve, 

Thank you for checking the inventory and for you kind offer.  Do I ever wish you had run across this thread a few days sooner.  I just bought a new SARO Target model and should have it in hand in a week or so.  That pesky background check/waiting period . . . .

I can't help but wonder whether SA had the wadcutter model in stock when I checked in with the sales department.  Then again, probably better I don't know.

GME

Back to top Go down

Questions Re SA Custom Shop 1911 Bullseye Wad Gun - Page 3 Empty Re: Questions Re SA Custom Shop 1911 Bullseye Wad Gun

Post by GME Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:35 pm

Sc0 wrote:As an option, if you already have a 45 you can send it to one of the Bullseye Gunsmiths for a rebarrel,

Just bought a Range Officer.  I've got a quote from Dave Salyer.  I understand that working over SAROs is his bread & butter.  If that doesn't work out, I'll be checking in with the other gunsmiths you suggested.  Thank you.

GME

Back to top Go down

Post by GME Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:48 pm

Bren wrote:I like Springfield Armory, but have no idea about their custom shop.  I do see that Rock River will sell you a wad gun for about the same price.

https://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=138

Thank you for the referral.  I know little about Rock River, except that some folks here recommend them.  I noted that an advertising gunsmith declined to work on Rock Rivers and others some might consider to be lesser brands, which was a big red flag.  It's tough when your best reference point from 40 odd year ago were worked over Colt Gold Cups.  Anyway, Range Officers are regularly talked about as fine pistols and remarkably accurate right out of the box.  Since they seemed to get the best reviews for bullseye, I decided to go that way.  I had hoped for the custom shop pistol, but this strategy should produce a competitive pistol.

GME

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:52 pm

You might have Rock Island Arsenal (RIA) confused with Rock River Arms (RRA). Rock River Arms is the preferred pistol.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by GME Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:07 pm

Thank you, Mike.  I am more interested in shooting with a red dot than trying to make it work for irons.  I still may need a Rx to shoot at 50 yards, but so far I'm able to shoot a red dot okay at 25 yards.  I'd like to say I shoot very well at 25 yards, but that wouldn't he honest.  I still have much to do on technique, but I can say that I'm steadily improving.  My wobble has gotten a little smaller, my trigger control is better, I'm able to more consistently keep my focus on the target (versus the red dot), and I'm doing a better job of not trying to snatch the X.  My scores are improving.

I wouldn't think of using my readers in place of safety glasses.  Should Rx glasses be the way to go, I'll give some thought to something like transitions tinted for outdoor use.  I have blue eyes and tend toward being light sensitive.

GME

Back to top Go down

Post by SW-52 Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:08 pm

Springfield Range officer is a Great Pistol and accurized by a True Bullseye Gunsmith Like Kc and Jon will be a High level Pistol. They use Gunsmith fit Kart Barrels for lead or KKM for jacketed, match bushing, 3.5 lbs trigger job (Roll or Crisp), your preference. checkered front strap or more cheap traction tape for better grip and sharkskin grips. Other option is the Accuracy X Multi sight slide. They fit slide to your 1911 without frame modification. Here a video of stock Range officer at 50 yards before and after modification:
SW-52
SW-52

Back to top Go down

Post by GME Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:54 pm

Jon Eulette wrote:You might have Rock Island Arsenal (RIA) confused with Rock River Arms (RRA). Rock River Arms is the preferred pistol.
Jon

Yikes!   affraid  I hadn't heard of either manufacturer before.  As you suggest, I must have confused the two.  Thank you for setting me straight, Jon.

GME

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:11 am

SteveHorsman wrote:I am new here, but wanted to reply, I work for Springfield Armory, and just checked, we have three of the hardball and wadcutter guns in stock.  If you interested just PM me and I can help you order.  You should have within a week.  It has to ship to your FFL/Dealer.    Steve
This may be of interest, showing what a RO can do:

Alex Barsky shot this target:
Questions Re SA Custom Shop 1911 Bullseye Wad Gun - Page 3 Img_2614
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by GME Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:59 pm

Wow!  A very nice target.  Thanks for sharing.

GME

Back to top Go down

Post by Zepp Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:35 pm

This is going to be the quickest route.  Just put the RO in the safe for latter.  

Not sure where you stand with reloading / reloading components.  If new to reloading / no components I would think a .22 gun will be the quickest route.  Eley is available.

Zepp

Back to top Go down

Post by GME Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:48 pm

I have/use a progressive press and have the components.  What I don't have is pistol primers.   So far, I have been unwilling to pay the huge premium for primers folks have been getting on GB.

I have a 40 year old Model 41  in perfect condition and about 2500 rounds of target ammo  I'm good to go on that score.  I also have a Model 52 I bought new with my Mod 41.  I have about 1200 rounds of ammo I loaded for it.  I have more brass, powder & bullets, but no primers.

I agree that going ahead and buying the custom shop gun would be the fastest route to what I want, but I'm not comfortable spending the extra bucks on a 2nd pistol right now.  By late next year, I'll have a good year of shooting under my belt, and will then know better whether buying another, better pistol makes sense for me.  

Bottom line:  After I get the RO tuned, I will have the pistols to shoot Bullseye.  I'll be in the game.  If my skill level and progress warrant, I can look at getting something better - maybe a full custom.  Who knows?  Right now, I'm confident that even the untuned RO will outshoot me by a wide margin, so I'll just be content with the path I'm on.

GME

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3