Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nelson Conversion Bullseye Chamber?

+3
Slamfire
Jon Eulette
JNW1
7 posters

Go down

Nelson Conversion Bullseye Chamber? Empty Nelson Conversion Bullseye Chamber?

Post by JNW1 Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:39 am

I'm looking at getting a 2nd Nelson Conversion.  I want to have 2 pistols to shoot competition with and instead of my M41 or Ruger as a backup I would like to get another Nelson.  I looked on their website and they now offer a "regular" chamber for shooting all types of ammo and a "bullseye" chamber that is tighter and just for standard velocity ammo.  All I shoot in my .22 target pistols is SV target ammo.  I have no issues with my older Nelson conversion - its accurate, reliable, runs dirty and eats every type of ammo I've ever put in it.  Will I gain anything by having the bullseye chamber or am I then committed to constantly cleaning the chamber?
Thanks,
Jeff

JNW1

Back to top Go down

Nelson Conversion Bullseye Chamber? Empty Re: Nelson Conversion Bullseye Chamber?

Post by Jon Eulette Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:05 am

Regardless of which .22 pistol you shoot, you should keep a .25 caliber bore brush on hand to routinely run through your chamber. Just bend it 90 degrees and you can give the chamber a quick scrub while pistol is still assembled. My match chambered pistols do not require any extra cleaning to operate 100% reliably. I have a custom Nelson barrel with the tight chamber and have never had any issues.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Nelson Conversion Bullseye Chamber? Empty Re: Nelson Conversion Bullseye Chamber?

Post by JNW1 Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:11 am

Jon, thanks for the response. I do have a .25 brush the I use for chamber cleaning. I’m going to get the bullseye chamber.
Jeff

JNW1

Back to top Go down

Post by Slamfire Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:11 am

JNW1 wrote:I'm looking at getting a 2nd Nelson Conversion.  I want to have 2 pistols to shoot competition with and instead of my M41 or Ruger as a backup I would like to get another Nelson.  I looked on their website and they now offer a "regular" chamber for shooting all types of ammo and a "bullseye" chamber that is tighter and just for standard velocity ammo.  All I shoot in my .22 target pistols is SV target ammo.  I have no issues with my older Nelson conversion - its accurate, reliable, runs dirty and eats every type of ammo I've ever put in it.  Will I gain anything by having the bullseye chamber or am I then committed to constantly cleaning the chamber?
Thanks,
Jeff

Where has it been proven that nasty medicine is better than nice medicine?

Tight chambers fall into this belief system. Does this not go back to A.O. Neider rifle chambers from the 1920's?  Where has anyone proved that tight chambers perform better than "loose chambers?". A loose chamber being SAAMI dimensions, not a military chamber, reamed with a sausage, so the round always chambers and extracts. I am going to claim, those old timers were not seeing any accuracy improvements due to "tight chambers" because their bullets were so inaccurate. What they were seeing, was what they wanted to see.

And, you find with 22lr match rifle shooters, ammunition variances provide the greatest source of inaccuracy, given a good barrel, good chamber job, and good bedding. Ammunition is hugely variable and tight chambers won't fix that issue.

This is an F Class bud's target. Same rifle, different days.

This was the last he used TAC 22, when a sighter shot fell 22 inches at 100 yards. And his groups were not that tight

Nelson Conversion Bullseye Chamber? AtshzXl

Nelson Conversion Bullseye Chamber? AgntjO6

Now this is with Eley Black box, he is shooting cleans

Nelson Conversion Bullseye Chamber? S17KH3z

It is my opinion, that a tight chamber on a semi automatic weapon is a malfunction waiting to happen. And given that my loose Ruger MKII chambers will hold the X ring when I do my part, I am of the opinion, loose chambers work fine. 

There are people who sell blue mountain crystals, whose positive ions, will improve groups, by chasing away negative ions. Guaranteed.

Slamfire

troystaten likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:41 pm

JNW1:

Why not give them a call and ask?  They are probably more knowledgeable about what they do than anyone on the list.    Wink

I'll bet the chamber in your older version is the same as the "bullseye" chamber in the newer ones. 

CR

CR10X

BE Mike likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JNW1 Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:24 pm

Finally got around to calling Nelson Custom. The bullseye chamber is what their barrels have always had. The new standard chamber is a bit larger and is in response to steel challenge shooters who want to shoot a wider variety of ammo. I ordered one with the bullseye chamber.
Jeff

JNW1

BE Mike likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:03 pm

Nelson Conversion Bullseye Chamber? 2935285009

Happy Shooting!

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Post by 10sandxs Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:45 pm

JNW1 wrote:Finally got around to calling Nelson Custom.  The bullseye chamber is what their barrels have always had.  The new standard chamber is a bit larger and is in response to steel challenge shooters who want to shoot a wider variety of ammo.  I ordered one with the bullseye chamber.
Jeff

That's very close to the story I got. Action pistol guys are running CCI minimags to knock down steel plates better in thier rimfire event.

The changes to the chamber are not necessarily diameter, but how the lead in to the rifling is cut. The BE chamber is cut for cci sv, which has a slightly different profile bullet. The bearing surface is a bit shorter than on many other bullets. This can cause other bullets to get farther onto the rifling when chambered. At least, thats what Larry told me a few months ago.

10sandxs

Back to top Go down

Post by JNW1 Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:14 pm

Thanks for the replies and extra info. My Nelson runs well on both CCI SV and SK+. Their bullet profiles appear similar to me. Larry said that the standard chamber guns may shoot up to 1/4” bigger groups at 50 yards, so still darn good!
Jeff

JNW1

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:39 pm

Nelson Conversion Bullseye Chamber? 31496610

CCI vs Eley
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by willnewton Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:14 pm

JNW1 wrote:Thanks for the replies and extra info.  My Nelson runs well on both CCI SV and SK+.  Their bullet profiles appear similar to me.  Larry said that the standard chamber guns may shoot up to 1/4” bigger groups at 50 yards, so still darn good!
Jeff

The CCI “Bullseye” vs. other chamber in my RR showed the group grows from .75” to about 1.00” @ 50yd. shooting CCI SV.  I can confirm the above info (for my gear and testing anyway).

So not a lot of sleep to lose there!
willnewton
willnewton
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JNW1 Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:12 am

Thanks for the real world confirmation!
Jeff

JNW1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down