Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What chamber to order for Nelson or Marvel, standard or Bullseye

+14
sayracin
SmokinNJokin
Dr.Don
james r chapman
Wobbley
10sandxs
Jack H
RoyDean
WesG
DA/SA
RodJ
chiz1180
Jon Eulette
Aim4x
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What chamber to order for Nelson or Marvel, standard or Bullseye Empty What chamber to order for Nelson or Marvel, standard or Bullseye

Post by Aim4x Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:52 pm

I am putting together a bullseye gun and wondering if the tighter bullseye chamber will be a problem with my Federal Auto Match, CCI Target ammo? I have had problems with my Clark 22LR Barrel on my Smith 41 not able to shoot a full 900 without problems. I am thinking of going with Nelson's standard chamber but would the Bullseye chamber provide smaller groups using the ammo I have. I am not a good enough shooter to buy Eley or other top notch. What is your experience with the two? Thanks Tod

Aim4x

Back to top Go down

What chamber to order for Nelson or Marvel, standard or Bullseye Empty Re: What chamber to order for Nelson or Marvel, standard or Bullseye

Post by Jon Eulette Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:05 pm

Get the match/tight chamber. They typically shoot better. The crap shoot is how the muzzle was cut: indicated vs. not!
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

mbmshooter and jglenn21 like this post

Back to top Go down

What chamber to order for Nelson or Marvel, standard or Bullseye Empty Re: What chamber to order for Nelson or Marvel, standard or Bullseye

Post by chiz1180 Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:19 pm

The Nelson conversions that I have shot have the match/bullseye chamber, they all have shot extremely well. Optimize the lower for the conversion and it should shoot well.
chiz1180
chiz1180

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:23 pm

Most Nelson’s shoot around 1.5” at 50 yds with cci sv. After recutting the muzzle indicated off the bore they drop down to .75”ish. 
So you can still shoot 900/900 with cci sv.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

NuJudge, Sa-tevp, RoyDean and jim1K like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RodJ Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:37 pm

Jon Eulette wrote:Most Nelson’s shoot around 1.5” at 50 yds with cci sv. After recutting the muzzle indicated off the bore they drop down to .75”ish. 
So you can still shoot 900/900 with cci sv.
Jon

I’m kind of dumb, but I’ll ask anyway.  How else can you cut a muzzle, if not indicating off the bore axis?  A hacksaw and speed square on an old shotgun to shorten it for “farm” purposes is one thing. 

I wish I had learned to be a machinist. The world is your oyster.

RodJ

Back to top Go down

Post by DA/SA Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:44 pm

RodJ wrote:  How else can you cut a muzzle, if not indicating off the bore axis? 

Indicating off of the barrel OD, which is the wrong way.
DA/SA
DA/SA

Back to top Go down

Post by WesG Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:09 pm

RodJ wrote:
I wish I had learned to be a machinist. The world is your oyster.

And sometimes a rotting whale washes up on the beach ;-)

WesG

Back to top Go down

Post by RoyDean Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:20 pm

Amazing!

I have to say that it never ceases to amaze me how something as relatively simple as cutting the muzzle end of the barrel (presumably in a 4 jaw chuck or whatever on a reasonably accurate lathe) so that it is concentric with the bore can make such a huge difference to the accuracy.

AFAIK both Marvel and Nelson market their conversions primarily to target shooters who obviously want the crowns of their barrels to be machined correctly. Why don't they do it that way at their factories/workshops? We all know the answer to that!

I owned a Marvel briefly, did not shoot great and saw no point keeping it. Maybe it just needed the muzzle fixing?

Never mind, at least it keeps the likes of Jon and so many other experienced and skilled smith's busy with routine improvement work.

I really appreciate Jon (and others) sharing their valuable knowledge on this forum.

RoyDean

Al, mbmshooter and donp like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:14 pm

I had a 7.25 High Standard barrel recrowned by a smith.  The 50y ransom groups improved from over 2" to under 1"
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:47 pm

Another barrel thing I have come to believe is the bore-chamber alignment.  If you look through the bore from the chamber end and see uniform "lands ends", that barrel will probably shoot better that one where the lands ends are not uniform, showing the chamber is skewed off center.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:08 pm

I’m not sure how the current owner of Marvel Precision cuts the crown. I quit paying attention to Marvels when the new owner stopped selling individual replacement  slides. The early 2005ish Marvel’s had Shilen barrels and were outstanding. I just picked up another old one Wink Nelson’s are machined by MacMillan. They are CNC cut in a large. The barrels are probably held in a collet and they are not indicated off the bore; time is money. They used to hand cut the crown with a hand held reamer that piloted off the bore. Both methods are not acceptable for a match grade barrel in my very opinionated opinion lol.
I wish they would take the time to do it correctly, they make a great conversion. I’m not trying to bash anyone, just speaking my mind.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

troystaten and donp like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:20 pm

I have a Nelson barrel and an Advantage Arms barrel both prepared by Bob Marvel.  If I ever get the time I will Ransom them compared to regular Nelson.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by RodJ Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:49 pm

A bit baffling that you’re paying not a minor amount of $ and the machining of the crown is suspect.  How much more does it cost to do it right the first time? (Not a rhetorical question)

I have an older Marvel in the soft case with a serial number F4xxx. Is that supposed to be a good barrel?  Test target button is 0.9+ inches.

Thanks and interesting info, as always.

RodJ

Back to top Go down

Post by 10sandxs Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:57 pm

CNC time is a dollar a minute give or take... machinist time takes more than minutes to indicate in... and likely costs more...

10sandxs

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:06 am

Except that, in a production environment, the muzzle crown cutter can easily be a piloted bevel cutter in a “floating holder”.  Not any slower, really, than coming in with a rigid tool.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

onlylead, MikeGibbs and RoyDean like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by WesG Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:44 am

IMO, a Nelson conversion IS a minor amount of money, considering what you're getting. As for the barrel, the lug is a separate piece. I dont know how it's attached, but if it's threaded in and torqued, it's possible the bore could be constricted ahead of the chamber. That WILL affect accuracy big time.

Mine has a c'bored flat crown. The edge break on it looks even, but there's the possibility the crown itself isn't square to the bore (I really doubt its not). Something else to pull apart and check ...

Concentricity of the chamber, as well as the crown, is considered critical in rifles, smallbore and HP. I can't think of any reason it wouldn't also matter with a pistol ... unless you shake like I do ;-) One could argue the crown would be more critical on a pistol, given the higher gas pressure with a short barrel.

WesG

Back to top Go down

Post by Aim4x Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:06 pm

Thanks for all the input, I didn't realize the Nelson took short cuts on the crown I guess after I order mine and shoot it to decide if a recrown is warranted. I am ordering the bullseye chamber per suggestions. Again I learn from all who responded.

Aim4x

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:04 pm

Remember, your quibbling over 1-1/2” at 50 yds.
Yeah, 3/4 would be nice, but, it will still make hi master if you do your part.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

DA/SA, TonyH and chiz1180 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:56 am

I like having the absolute best shooting firearms I can get my hands on. If they don’t shoot well they are worthless to me. 
I had gotten an almost new 208 from a friend way back in the day. I switched from my Ruger mkii government to the 208. I was shooting about 40k r funds a year through that pistol. I had shot an 895/900 50 something X’s just before going to the AMU from the All-Reserve team. The armorers were lot testing ammunition and I had my 208 tested. It barely held 1.5” with the best lot of ammunition the AMU had on hand. So 1.5 is good enough to shoot some great scores Wink
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Steve B, troystaten, dieselguy624, Fotomaniac, 10sandxs, DA/SA and TonyH like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr.Don Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:57 am

I wouldn't describe the use of a piloted crowning tool as a "shortcut".  It is pretty standard practice for "production" arms.  It is very labor intensive to set up a barrel in a lathe, indicate it to zero on the bore, then crown it with a facing tool.  I do this to all the barrels I use, but I consider it custom work, not production work, and I would probably charge $75-$100 to do it if I were in business.  That would add about $100 to the price of a Marvel or Nelson conversion unit.
Dr.Don
Dr.Don

jglenn21 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RodJ Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:11 pm

james r chapman wrote:Remember, your quibbling over 1-1/2” at 50 yds.
Yeah, 3/4 would be nice, but, it will still make hi master if you do your part.

Until I can consistently score AT LEAST FIVE POINTS Rolling Eyes on every shot at 50 yards, conduct dry fire and other training rigorously (and regularly), lose weight, gain grip strength, mental out completely on Lanny B and the PST etc., and know all the rules or at least know where they are, then 1.5” seems to be plenty accurate for this clown. clown

I should probably sell everything but my Ruger MkII until I can put them all in the black at 50 yards. Or restrict myself to the Ruger until I hit some milestones, and look at shooting anything else as a reward.

RodJ

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:25 pm

Or, go to Perry with a .22 and 45 and shoot and watch

Of course I’m only an hour and a half from there 🤣
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RodJ Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:31 pm

We (whoever that is) should have a winter “Perry” at Ft. Hood or JB San Antonio. Or heck, right here in Austin at Camp Mabry or Camp Swift just outside of town.

You people up in the Midwest live the life with the Cardinal place and others.

RodJ

Back to top Go down

Post by SmokinNJokin Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:41 pm

I had Alex at tenring recrown my marvel for a very reasonable price. I think it was like $40… problem solved. No Ransom testing but noticeable improvement in shots being on call with CCI.

SmokinNJokin

Back to top Go down

Post by WesG Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:32 pm

I guess I got a bit bored today. Set mine up and recut it. It looked to be about perfect as it was. But it looks custom now.

WesG

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next