Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Apparently I don't have what it takes!

+2
Jon Eulette
bigbob76
6 posters

Go down

Apparently I don't have what it takes! Empty Apparently I don't have what it takes!

Post by bigbob76 2/7/2021, 11:52 pm

I've been shooting almost all of my life and I'm now 70 years old. My friends that I shoot with are older than me and are dieing off as much as I don't like thinking about it. These guys have taught me a lot but it looks like my shooting reached its best 3 or 4 years ago. Now it is slowly getting worse. I shoot every Sunday morning and if I skip a week or 2 it gets bad much faster. I read a lot here because I know that when my older friends die all their information will be gone with them and their memories are already slipping. I realize that when I was at my best I still wouldn't have cut it with bullseye but I still enjoy my shooting greatly. I'm still working and plan on getting into reloading if I am able to completely retire. I guess I'm just trying to express my appreciation for everything I learn by reading here.

bigbob76

chopper, DonBrummer, mikemyers and Thin Man like this post

Back to top Go down

Apparently I don't have what it takes! Empty Re: Apparently I don't have what it takes!

Post by Jon Eulette 2/8/2021, 12:11 am

Hey Big Bob, thanks for posting. I’ve met many of my bestest friends on the site. We don’t always see eye to eye but we work it out. Those of us who have been at this for many years love to help anyone with the interest or addiction. Myself personally it’s the addiction lol.
I started shooting BE as a young man and have lost many older friends over the years. They all have a special place in my heart for their contributions and friendship. I can’t imagine not shooting BE or working on the pistols. I still have a ways to go to hit 70, but if I make it I’m gonna be celebrating!
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Founder, Al, chopper, DonBrummer, dfk178, bmize1 and bigbob76 like this post

Back to top Go down

Apparently I don't have what it takes! Empty Re: Apparently I don't have what it takes!

Post by john bickar 2/8/2021, 12:18 am

John's Rules:

1. Show up
2. Be safe and respectful
3. Have fun 

Everything beyond that is gravy.

Sounds like you still have "what it takes"!
john bickar
john bickar

Founder, Al, CR10X, bruce martindale, chopper, DonBrummer, dfk178 and like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X 2/8/2021, 7:08 am

+1 for John's post and I'll add one more.

Just pay it forward if you can.  I remember all the "old dudes" that helped me get started shooting bullseye, getting a kit together, setting up on the bench, learning to score, marking brass, how EIC points work, where matches were, where you could find a real gunsmith, etc., etc. I learned something from just about everyone when I started from Marksmen to High Masters. A lot of them are gone now and I still remember them because we shot bullseye together.  I'm headed to being the "old dude" myself and I hope I can do as much for someone else as they did for me. 

If you get to the point you can't or don't want to shoot, you can still help with a match! That guy running things is the only person that doesn't get to shoot at most matches and could use all the help he can get.  Even if its just someone else to help watch the line.

Keep participating and don't give up, there are lots of other needs related to this sport besides actual shooting.  And we can use all the help we can get to get more shooters and help more shooters get better.

With my deepest appreciation to all those that passed along their love of shooting Bullseye.

CR

CR10X

Founder, john bickar, chopper, DonBrummer, bigbob76, Motophotog7 and Thin Man like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by OldShooter43 2/8/2021, 8:00 am

Getting old has not improved my shooting either.  I developed "essential tremors" about five years ago (aged 72) which means the area aiming technique barely ensures that a round fired usually hits the paper at 50 yds.  LOL.
At least it's not as bad as Parkinson's disease!

OldShooter43

chopper and bigbob76 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 2/8/2021, 8:56 am

Due to physical problems, I had to retire from bullseye pistol shooting several years ago. The thing I miss most is the people I met and shot with over the years. I thought that scores were the important part while I was shooting, but looking back, it was the people. Sadly, many have passed on. I took another direction after retiring from bullseye that involves shooting, but is not as taxing or difficult as bullseye pistol. I'm still having fun and I still have a lot of good memories.
BE Mike
BE Mike

chopper and bigbob76 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down