Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Eye stigma question?

+8
joem5636
neal77
Arthur
"plq"
REConley
John Dervis
ngunn
smsnyder
12 posters

Go down

Eye stigma question? Empty Eye stigma question?

Post by smsnyder Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:19 pm

Apparently,  my wife has eye stigma. When she looks at the red dot there is a halo. Any solution for this?

smsnyder

Back to top Go down

Eye stigma question? Empty Re: Eye stigma question?

Post by ngunn Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:12 pm

First, make sure the lens is clean.
If the dot's image is oblong and its appearance is consistent from session to session, one might try using a portion of that image as a dot.  For a shape like: "@o",  try centering the "o" portion.
It has worked for me in the past.
ngunn
ngunn

Back to top Go down

Post by John Dervis Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:39 pm

When I shot dot sights, I could never see a nice round ball when the gun was on target.  The best solutions I found were to a) use the smallest dot set at the lowest brightness that was still usable under those particular lighting conditions and b) I used a merit adjustable iris.  The iris helped most but that combination made things workable.  My image looked mostly like a figure 8 on it's side.  I would focus on what appeared to be the brighter side of that figure 8.  I never got around to trying this, but I thought about getting a set prescription glasses to see if that correct things so that might be another option.

Good Luck.
John

John Dervis

Back to top Go down

Post by REConley Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:50 pm

smsnyder wrote:Apparently,  my wife has eye stigma. When she looks at the red dot there is a halo. Any solution for this?

About 45 seconds per eye under a Lasik machine.
REConley
REConley

james r chapman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by "plq" Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:16 pm

I've seen it recommended that shooters w/ a stigmatism use green dots - apparently the distortion is less pronounced. Is there any truth to that??

"plq"

Back to top Go down

Post by John Dervis Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:33 pm

REConley wrote:
smsnyder wrote:Apparently,  my wife has eye stigma. When she looks at the red dot there is a halo. Any solution for this?

About 45 seconds per eye under a Lasik machine.

Lasik didn't help the problem for me.  I had it done in 1998 and it corrected my distance vision just fine to this day but that dot issue wasn't affected. I will say though that back then I didn't mention that to the surgeon so if it is correctable, he didn't know to do it. 

I don't know if this is atypical or not, but if I look at the dot with no target, the dot looks pretty round.  It is only when I put it on a black bullseye that it goes goofy.  I wonder if the contrast is what brings the problem out.  In that case, the green dot theory might make sense to try. 

I switched back to iron sights about 12 years ago so I haven't really given this much thought or experimentation since then but it would be good to know what others have found might work. 

John

John Dervis

Back to top Go down

Post by REConley Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:43 pm

Todays testing for cataracts identifies it apparently. I also mentioned it to my surgeon and he commented as to the degree I had, without additional testing, and that he would take care of it. I was already going to use the Lasik machine for making all of the incisions in my eyes and to degrade my old lenses. Last August's version of pre surgical cataract test involved 5 separate eye scans.  I suspect things have changed a good bit. 

Also keep in mind that our shooting glasses can make it worst even prescription glasses. I would always suggest one check and see if the distortion changes when glasses are being worn.
REConley
REConley

Back to top Go down

Post by Arthur Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:04 am

My distance prescription glasses straighten it out for me. 

Best 
Arthur

Arthur

Back to top Go down

Post by neal77 Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:34 am

The center of my progressive lenses, for intermediate vision, give me the least distortion. Next trip to my eye doctor I am going to have a pair made with the same prescription as just the center of that lens.

neal77

Back to top Go down

Post by joem5636 Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:53 am

neal77 wrote:The center of my progressive lenses, for intermediate vision, give me the least distortion. Next trip to my eye doctor I am going to have a pair made with the same prescription as just the center of that lens.
Goggles4u.Com will get you single vision glasses for less than $50. I suggest forgetting progressives and just get lined bifocals.

joem5636

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:12 pm

Glasses can correct astigmatism.  As I recall, shooting glasses are available with a prescription both for power and for astigmatism.

If you have cataracts, the new lenses they put in your eye to get rid of the cataract can also correct for astigmatism.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by James Hensler Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:52 pm

Try Eyepals 19.95 fixed mine
James Hensler
James Hensler

Back to top Go down

Post by Fotomaniac Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:02 am

Check out Art Neergard...shootingsight.com. He can help.

Fotomaniac

Back to top Go down

Post by Pbmoser1954 Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:54 pm

I also have astigmatism problem  The dot never looked crystal clear and even looking at reading on my TV wasn’t perfect. I tried all types of things my eye doctor contributed to dry eyes. After talking to some of my bull’s-eye friends they directed me to an eye doctor in my area. This Doctor 
 solve my problem, corrected my stigmatism and it’s unbelievable how clear the dot is now and how well I can see. You may want to get a second opinion from another eye doctor.
Pbmoser1954
Pbmoser1954

Fotomaniac likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down