Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trigger pressure or trigger movement?

5 posters

Go down

Trigger pressure or trigger movement? Empty Trigger pressure or trigger movement?

Post by Jack H Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:53 am

In your mind, do you perceive triggering to be a pressure applied to the trigger, or a movement of the trigger?
To be exact, I mean this more about your trigger finger than the trigger itself.

I do my best when I sense it is pressure on the trigger that I apply.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Trigger pressure or trigger movement? Empty Re: Trigger pressure or trigger movement?

Post by BHeintz Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:43 am

I realized a long time ago that when I was shooting well all I was doing was increasing my grip pressure with only the trigger finger. So that is how I think of it.

BHeintz

Back to top Go down

Trigger pressure or trigger movement? Empty Re: Trigger pressure or trigger movement?

Post by Tim:H11 Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:56 am

Jack H wrote:In your mind, do you perceive triggering to be a pressure applied to the trigger, or a movement of the trigger?
To be exact, I mean this more about your trigger finger than the trigger itself.

I do my best when I sense it is pressure on the trigger that I apply.

I shoot roll triggers in nearly everything. I focus on the movement of the trigger, and the sight picture simultaneously. Sort of how we focus on an accelerator while we focus on steering the vehicle at the same time. I feel the movement in the trigger and confidently know what’s happening, and where I’m at in my shot. I like to press the trigger back as I bring the dot to center in sustained fire. So the closer the dot moves to center the more I press and eventually the two meet and there’s the shot. If I rush the trigger then that’s where things can go wrong. Actuating the trigger, for me, has to be a smooth movement. It takes too much for me right now to recover to dead center and hold there while I press the trigger. As soon as she goes bang, I reset, and start pressing while I recover. When I get back to my sight picture the shot should break then or shortly thereafter. But I’m focusing on the feel of the trigger moving not my finger pressure. It’s hard for me to judge the pressure when my hand is gripped so tightly around the gun. I need that movement of the trigger, some feedback from the gun to help me judge what’s going on.
Tim:H11
Tim:H11

Steve B, Lightfoot, thessler and Arthur like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:22 pm

+1 on Tim:H11 comments (especially the rushing the trigger part). 

I think its the preference (or distraction) created by these "feelings" that really determines the basis of if a shooter eventually prefers a "crisp" or "roll" trigger.  Those that feel better with sensing and completing the "movement" probably gravitate to roll triggers.  Others that seem to prefer the "pressure" feedback seem to be crisp trigger shooters.   Conversely, if the feeling of pressure or movement distracts a shooter from the process, then again the trigger type preference comes out.  

However I also think that the grip pressure should remain the same throughout either process.

And I have spent some time with both trigger types (several times over the years).  I eventually go back to crisp, but that's just me.  

The real interesting thing is that you could insert "pressure" for "movement or pressing" in his post and my description would be essentially the same. 

CR

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Post by Allgoodhits Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:52 pm

I'm with what CR10X and H11 stated, amended if at all as follows.

For me, there are two types of triggers.

1) A Moving trigger, like a double action revolver, most striker fire guns and roll type triggers. With those types or styles of trigger, I commit to the trigger and keep it (trigger) moving, "while" aligning the sights and settling on the aiming area. All three of those things are happening somewhat simultaneously. Sometimes slower like SF, or more rapidly such as sustained fire, but all three happen together. NOT, this, then this, then this. If one, or more of the three breaks down totally, I abort the shot, if possible. If one has ever done any high speed driving, one can do a degree of steering, while "fishtailing" with throttle control. One is looking where they want to go, while steering and while accelerating. As with an accelerator on a slippery surface, the trigger must be operated with smooth, gradual pressure with movement, otherwise, like the car, you lose control. Too much throttle (wheel spin) and car oversteers. Too quickly off the throttle, the car may suddenly understeer. Too much steering wheel correction and you may have overcorrected, now fishtailing in the other direction and so on. The balance of proper coordination of all three, leaves you with control and the desired outcome. This mental concept works for me.

2) A Static trigger, like a crisp, breaks like glass single action. Similar to above, in that the pressure is increasing as the sights are aligned and the aiming are is defined. The movement, if any is detected, is the flesh of the trigger finger compressing. Same, if the 3 things coming together breaks down, abort the shot, if possible. Another driving example. Remember when power brakes in autos first came about? They were extremely touchy. One could lock the wheels up in a jiffy. The static trigger, to me, is like trying to brake on ice, with those old touchy power brakes. Too much, too quick and you have locked the wheels up, and likely lost control. Again, the concept works for me.

Cheers.
Allgoodhits
Allgoodhits

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down