Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Complete Round Weight Variance

5 posters

Go down

Complete Round Weight Variance Empty Complete Round Weight Variance

Post by 230Ball 3/5/2021, 5:57 pm

I'm probably overthinking this, but here goes:

I just switched my reloading operation from 9mm to 45ACP for bullseye.  Load is unfired Starline brass with Zero 185gr JHP over 4.2gr of N-310.  Press is a Dillon 650.  For some reason I never did this with loading 9mm, but since the 45ACP is for bullseye, I thought it would be interesting to weigh each round on the first 50 to see what kind of consistency I was getting.  What turned out is a 1.8gr delta between the heaviest and lightest load. I realize there's not much I can do about brass and bullet variances, but thought it worth a try.

Here's the breakdown of the 50 rounds, heaviest to lightest:  6 were in the 274.9gr - 275.2gr range, 37 were in the 274.2gr - 274.8gr range, and 7 were in the 273.4gr - 273.9gr range.

Are these variances acceptable, is it an un-safe variance, and/or am I obsessing over nothing?
230Ball
230Ball

Back to top Go down

Complete Round Weight Variance Empty Re: Complete Round Weight Variance

Post by JIMPGOV 3/5/2021, 7:08 pm

THOSE ARE GREAT NUMBERS. YEARS AGO I WEIGHED FEDERAL MATCH THAT I HAD (AND STILL HAVE 2 CASES OF IT). SAME LOT NUMBER OF COURSE. THIS LOT SHOT GREAT OUT OF EVERY GUN I RANSOMED IT IN . I FOUND IT TO 2 - 6GRS DIFFERENCE( IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY). IN CASES OF MATCH BULLETS I FOUND VARIATIONS OF UP TO 1+GR. THE BRASS WEIGHT VARIED A LOT MORE. BUT IT SEEMED THE BRASS WEIGHT OF COURSE DEPENDED ON OAL BRASS LENGTH.THIS WAS ON VIRGIN STARLINE, REMINGTON  AND WINCHESTER IN BOTH 9MM AND .45.    JP

JIMPGOV

230Ball likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by WesG 3/6/2021, 11:28 pm

I had a squib in a small batch of 45 rds I loaded playing with different sizing dies, unsized, 454, and ACP. Weighing them afterwards to find any evidence of more appeared to be a 'fools errand'.

WesG

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 3/7/2021, 7:38 am

Weighing finished rounds is only good if they all dropped on the floor and you need to separate by bullet weights!

200/185/160
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

230Ball likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 230Ball 3/7/2021, 7:46 am

WesG wrote:I had a squib in a small batch of 45 rds I loaded playing with different sizing dies, unsized, 454, and ACP. Weighing them afterwards to find any evidence of more appeared to be a 'fools errand'.
Ha!  I have to agree!

Thanks everyone for your responses.  Moving on to more rational topics!
230Ball
230Ball

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Hall 3/7/2021, 7:58 am

james r chapman wrote:Weighing finished rounds is only good if they all dropped on the floor and you need to separate by bullet weights!

200/185/160
There is one more instance where it is important:

"Sh!t!  That mis-feed happened again and I double charged that round.  Wait a minute... maybe I double charged the first time!?!  Damn, the first one is among the other thirty in the tray..."

In the above instance, the mis-feed actually caused a nick in the case mouth on both cases, so a visual inspection followed by a weight check verified that I had indeed double charged the first one.

Ed Hall

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down