Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Loading New Starline Brass

5 posters

Go down

Loading New Starline Brass Empty Loading New Starline Brass

Post by lanjo 6/12/2021, 6:34 pm

Hi All,

If one is loading new Starline brass should one run it through the cleaning, lubing, sizing, trimming before loading it?  Or is it good to load straight from the factory?  Any advice?

Best,

Joe

lanjo

TampaTim likes this post

Back to top Go down

Loading New Starline Brass Empty Re: Loading New Starline Brass

Post by Dcforman 6/12/2021, 6:50 pm

It's pretty dry from the factory. I throw it in a tumbler with a little case lube for 10-15 minutes before loading. Helps significantly with brass sticking to the expander.

Dave

Dcforman

8eightring and james r chapman like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by spursnguns 6/12/2021, 10:48 pm

Hello lanjo,

I deburr new Starline brass with a wet tumbler and pins only (one hour).  You will be amazed how many minute brass particles will be in the water.  I use Hornady One Shot for all my loading and would recommend the same for you.  Starline recommends that you size all of their new brass.

Good luck.

Jim
spursnguns
spursnguns

Back to top Go down

Post by Schaumannk 6/13/2021, 12:12 pm

If you take every fifth case and hand twist  the rim on a lightly lubed pad, you can eliminate the sticking of the expander die.    It should be very light to prevent powder sticking.   Although with 45 a few flakes one way or the other won’t cause much of a problem.   
I find that preventing the expander from sticking keeps a lot of other bad stuff happening, like your machine coming out of adjustment due to the force needed to *jerk* the expander die out of the case.

Schaumannk

chopper likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by sklarcpa 6/13/2021, 8:42 pm

lanjo wrote:Hi All,

If one is loading new Starline brass should one run it through the cleaning, lubing, sizing, trimming before loading it?  Or is it good to load straight from the factory?  Any advice?

Best,

Joe

Per the Starline website FAQ tab:

Does one need to full-length size brass prior to loading?
Generally speaking, Starline cases require no resizing prior to loading. Due to variances in diameter of different bullet types, it is a good practice to size the case only as far down as the bullet seating depth. When full length sizing is required, it will be noted in the box with the brass. The only Starline cases requiring full length sizing prior to loading are the .454 Casull, .458 SOCOM, and sometimes the .45 Colt(Depending on the bullet diameter to be used).
sklarcpa
sklarcpa

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down