Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Eley Target arrived today!

+8
chiz1180
Chase Turner
james r chapman
REConley
mikemargolis
CO1Mtn
xman
10's N X's
12 posters

Go down

Eley Target arrived today! Empty Eley Target arrived today!

Post by 10's N X's 6/14/2021, 8:27 pm

Ordered Feb 4th and finally showed up today! Now to see if my Marvel will shoot it well! I was down to 2 paper boxes of CCISV.....

10's N X's

Back to top Go down

Eley Target arrived today! Empty Re: Eley Target arrived today!

Post by xman 6/14/2021, 9:05 pm

I hope you got a really good deal waiting so long on that Eley Target.
xman
xman

Back to top Go down

Post by CO1Mtn 6/18/2021, 9:33 am

I ordered some of this from the CMP but it's taking forever to come in and I'm about to cancel my order. I just bought a brick of CCI Blazer for $41 tax included at Cabelas. It's high velocity ammo but I test fired it and shot a 94-2, 89-2, and 89-3 in slow fire right off the bat (iron sights). Is Eley target any better? It's 3x the price of the Blazer stuff and I don't know if it's worth it for what might only be a tiny bit more in accuracy. The Blazer ammo is shooting just as good as the Eley bulk, CCI SV, and other brands I've tried. Actually, all the brands I've tried shoot about the same in accuracy. I'm finding that with my Nelson conversion, the type of ammo I shoot doesn't make any difference. Or at least I can't tell if it makes any difference. I never had access to a ransom rest.

CO1Mtn

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemargolis 6/18/2021, 11:54 am

Compared to CCI, you will LOVE Eley.

JMHO, of course.

mikemargolis

Back to top Go down

Post by REConley 6/18/2021, 3:47 pm

mikemargolis wrote:Compared to CCI, you will LOVE Eley.

JMHO, of course.
I shot 100 rounds of eley today, ammo purchased last year. One box had three weak loads.

I prefer it to CCI but it also has its issues at times.
REConley
REConley

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 6/18/2021, 4:57 pm

How did you ascertain weak loads.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CO1Mtn 6/18/2021, 5:21 pm

I'd be interested to see a side by side group size comparison, if anyone has one. Some people say Eley is better, but I haven't researched any real tests.

CO1Mtn

Back to top Go down

Post by CO1Mtn 6/18/2021, 5:24 pm

I had an Eley bulk round fail to fire last week in an EIC match. I was four shots into the rapid string, had to shoot an alibi, and it would have cost me the match had I not already been shooting poorly that day due to a broken rear sight.

CO1Mtn

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 6/18/2021, 6:04 pm

CO1Mtn wrote:I had an Eley bulk round fail to fire last week in an EIC match. I was four shots into the rapid string, had to shoot an alibi, and it would have cost me the match had I not already been shooting poorly that day due to a broken rear sight.

It can happen with all of them!

Lost a Mich St Trap championship when a Federal Gold Medal Paper failed to perform properly. Just enough to blow the wad and shot between me and the trap house.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by REConley 6/18/2021, 7:00 pm

james r chapman wrote:How did you ascertain weak loads.
Cases did not cycle the slide and they felt very weak. They were bad enough I checked the barrel for an obstruction on the second one.

Just to be clear, this happens with all rimfire and Eley is more reliable than CCI SV in this respect. 
There is a reason for the alibies in the BE rules.

Last edited by REConley on 6/18/2021, 7:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
REConley
REConley

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemargolis 6/18/2021, 7:22 pm

I have put about 10,000 rounds of Eley through my Pardini, mostly either the CMP bulk or the now discontinued 40 grain Action ($3.25/box, bought two cases from Killoughs when they discontinued it).

I have had two, precisely two, squib loads, both of which did exit the barrel, but were way underpowered and did not reach the 50 foot target.

I am pretty darn happy with two out of 10k.

I have been shooting SK for matches, just like how it feels, but the Eley is awesome stuff.

mikemargolis

Back to top Go down

Post by Chase Turner 6/18/2021, 9:12 pm

CO1Mtn wrote:I'd be interested to see a side by side group size comparison, if anyone has one. Some people say Eley is better, but I haven't researched any real tests.

It just so happens that I recently got my daughter's Ruger MK II back from David Sams, and he tested both Eley and CCI in the finished pistol.

Eley Pistol Match:

Eley Target arrived today! Pxl_2021

CCI:

Eley Target arrived today! Pxl_2024

The Eley is X ring at 50 yards. The CCI is X ring at 50 yards.

Chase Turner

Hawkja likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 6/18/2021, 9:14 pm

Don’t think so!!

Lol

Or, are they just holding the paper down!
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CO1Mtn 6/19/2021, 4:19 am

Thanks Chase. The Eley ammo is clearly shooting better. The thing is though, it's only a 1/2" difference at 50 yards. And the Eley high end ammo costs three times the price of CCI SV. Or at least it does in my location. I'm not sure it's worth it for me. It might be more so for other competitors. It might make a one or two point difference in my pistol. But so does an extra day of practice, which is made more possible with having cheaper ammo. But I'm glad you found an accurate pistol and ammo combination.

CO1Mtn

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 6/19/2021, 6:17 pm

CO1Mtn wrote:The Eley ammo is clearly shooting better. The thing is though, it's only a 1/2" difference at 50 yards. 
With 22 ammo, in my opinion, how the ammo feels when shot is more important than group size. More power to you if 1/2” makes a significant difference to your score. 

As an aside it is nice that Eley (and Lapua/sk for that matter) supports precision shooting disciplines.
chiz1180
chiz1180

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley 6/19/2021, 7:22 pm

Of course Eley supports the shooting disciplines, we're the only ones crazy enough to buy $15-$20 a box ammo. I can't help it, I still get cracked up a bit when I see lower level shooters with Tenex at a match, might as well shoot CCI and donate the remaining $30 the the local Jr. shooting club. Most decent 22's will shoot 1" with CCI or lower level SK/RWS/Eley, absolutely no need to shoot more than $6-7 a box ammo unless you're taking on the record books.

zanemoseley

Jon Eulette, bpettet and DA/SA like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 6/19/2021, 7:39 pm

zanemoseley wrote:Of course Eley supports the shooting disciplines, we're the only ones crazy enough to buy $15-$20 a box ammo. I can't help it, I still get cracked up a bit when I see lower level shooters with Tenex at a match, might as well shoot CCI and donate the remaining $30 the the local Jr. shooting club. Most decent 22's will shoot 1" with CCI or lower level SK/RWS/Eley, absolutely no need to shoot more than $6-7 a box ammo unless you're taking on the record books. 

I 100% agree that even the most modest 22 ammo will preform well. Personally I am in the position in which the difference in my cost between cci or eley/lapua at best is marginal to the enjoyment I get from shooting matches. When was the last time you saw a shooter at a big match sporting a cci sponsorship? Eley and Lapua/Sk support what I get enjoyment in, It is a shame cci does not.
chiz1180
chiz1180

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 6/19/2021, 8:52 pm

zanemoseley wrote:Of course Eley supports the shooting disciplines, we're the only ones crazy enough to buy $15-$20 a box ammo. I can't help it, I still get cracked up a bit when I see lower level shooters with Tenex at a match, might as well shoot CCI and donate the remaining $30 the the local Jr. shooting club. Most decent 22's will shoot 1" with CCI or lower level SK/RWS/Eley, absolutely no need to shoot more than $6-7 a box ammo unless you're taking on the record books.
I can remember when Eley Tenex was $6-7 a box….   affraid
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CO1Mtn 6/19/2021, 8:59 pm

I don't think I am skilled enough for it to be worth it to buy Eley Target or Tenex. I looked at my targets from today, and my score would have only changed by 1 or 2 points. Now for the national champion or state champion, it would probably be a benefit.

CO1Mtn

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 6/19/2021, 9:24 pm

My feeling on the “ultra high grade” target ammo is a bit complex.  There was an ad in the target gun and general gun mags back in the 1970s saying essentially “Every so often spend $10.00 to find out how good you’re truly getting”.  It was an ad for Eley Match 22s.  The picture in the background  was a high-school or collegiate age young man holding an Anschutz rifle.  I agreed with the concept then and do now.

Even for pistol every once in a while shoot a NMC or “Double NMC” with the higher grade ammo (that you know shoots better) and see if you’re really improving.  I would also shoot the higher grade ammo at the National matches and likely bigger regionals.  Not only rimfire but CF and 45 as well.  I know my lead semiwadcutter reloads are accurate, but I’ve shot better scores with 185 JHP loads from LoaderMonkey.com.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 10's N X's 6/19/2021, 10:40 pm

This topic certainly took off! I finally got to shoot the Eley Target. Very pleasing to shoot, softer report and less perceived recoil? Did not change the sights from the CCISV I had been using. Will shoot some more this Tuesday and report back. Thanks!

10's N X's

Back to top Go down

Post by CrankyThunder 6/20/2021, 8:52 am

Dear tens and x's:

I have had problems with Eley Target in my Pardini, especially in cooler temperatures.  It just does not have the horsepower to reliably cycle the action, often delivering alibi's where the case failed to eject or it partially ejected and jammed the action.  Even at 60 degrees, it was not reliable enough even for practice ammo.  I definitely would not use it for a match.

Regards, 
Crankster
CrankyThunder
CrankyThunder

http://www.ccrcpistolteam.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by WesG 6/20/2021, 6:59 pm

Wobbley wrote:
I can remember when Eley Tenex was $6-7 a box….   affraid
And powder was $3 a lb, primers were $.79/100.

And I'm not 'old' ... yet.

Upon further review ...

I remember riding my 'Stingray' 5 or 6 blocks to the gas station to get a gallon of *leaded* regular for the lawnmower. Maybe ... $.29/ gallon? And maybe $.35 for 'Ethyl', if your daddy was a bank executive and drove a Cadillac.

WesG

troystaten and chopper like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CO1Mtn 6/23/2021, 4:42 pm

I shot a box of Eley Target once, through my Nelson, and it did worse than CCI SV.

CO1Mtn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down