Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Focusing on the Process not the target

2 posters

Go down

Focusing on the Process not the target Empty Focusing on the Process not the target

Post by RodJ Sun 18 Jul 2021, 3:46 pm

Does the following make sense to the experienced shooters and coaches?  

As a new BE shooter ( a/k/a former waster of perfectly good ammunition) I’m using the USMC Pistol Team book progression and I’m at step 1 - shoot two consecutive 10-shot strings into 5 1/4” round group in a blank target with a 22 cal pistol. Working on dry fire at a blank wall watching my sights and keeping aligned, and with a daisy 747 in my garage. Also at an indoor range some. 

The more I work at it, the more it sinks in that I need to focus on being comfortable and to trust the process — not “look” at the target and definitely not for some ego “confirmation”. When I go check the target I’m now looking for information, not personal gratification. The focus on the process seems to be the way toward consistency. I repeat to myself while focusing attention on sight alignment “just trust the process” of what I am learning and trying to do. Of course, there’s adjusting and refining and developing improvements. But those are coming based on sight alignment, trigger, stance etc and based on what my group is “telling” me. 

Despite my disbelief that it is possible for a mere mortal, I’m getting tantalizingly closer. I definitely appreciate the advice provided in response to my first post to n this forum. 

Thanks in advance for any thoughts from you patient souls.

RodJ

Back to top Go down

Focusing on the Process not the target Empty Re: Focusing on the Process not the target

Post by Oleg G Sun 18 Jul 2021, 5:49 pm

With such an attitude and approach to you training, you will be shooting all 10s in no time! Smile

Yes, yes, yes... Develop your shot process, follow your shot process, focus on your shot process, adjust your shot process as needed (but not too frequently, you need some time to determine what is working).

And one more thing: study and repeat the good shots - don't try to figure out what went wrong, focus on understanding and repeating what you did right.
Oleg G
Oleg G

Pbmoser1954 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Focusing on the Process not the target Empty Re: Focusing on the Process not the target

Post by RodJ Sun 18 Jul 2021, 6:49 pm

A dozen or maybe 15 .177 pellets later and the good shots, the ones right in the middle making the “tightest” portion - about 1/2” touching at 17 feet… my giant floaters weren’t in my line of sight, so I could clearly see the front sight and it’s alignment with the rear, was deliberate with my finger press but was surprised by the shot. If I deliberately pressed harder to get the shot off, and I knew I was taking the shot… well to your point Oleg, I’ll put them out of my mind. Thanks for taking the time to point that out. Unfortunately I had to first notice what was consistently the same about the non-good shots. Hmmm this stuff is hard in a way that is really… hard.

RodJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down