Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Army pistol team

+6
james r chapman
Sc0
Allen Barnett
Wobbley
Jon Eulette
CO1Mtn
10 posters

Go down

Army pistol team Empty Army pistol team

Post by CO1Mtn Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:43 pm

Greetings,

I would like to ask if there is an Army pistol team. How would someone in the Pennsylvania ARNG manage to get on the team? Is there a minimum qualification or tryouts? I have some rimfire EIC points but no points in service pistol. I am talking to a recruiter about joining the Guard. I might be leaving for basic training next month hopefully, as long as I can get cleared through MEPS. The recruiter said I have the green light so far. Thank you in advance for any information you can provide.

CO1Mtn

Back to top Go down

Army pistol team Empty Re: Army pistol team

Post by Jon Eulette Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:51 pm

The Army Marksmanship Unit (AMU) recruits new shooters. These new shooters are typically known quantities; in other words they can perform already. Tough to make the team if your not close to breaking 2600 already. You will have opportunities at division level to make base teams. And you keep going from there. You will be in tough spot in a regular unit. You have to store personal firearms in company arms room unless you live off the base. This will severely limit your dry fire time and more than likely your CO will think your a pain in the ass trying to get your firearms out every weekend.
Also, don’t ever trust a recruiter.
Good luck.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

ric1911a1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:12 pm

From my days shooting Highpower I did learn that making a service team (USAMU, USAR, or AllGuard) is tough.  There are only so many slots and whether or not you are a “new shooter” can make a big difference.  A “new shooter” is a person who has NOT fired as a member of a team in the team match at THAT level.  So if you’ve shot Perry as a member of a team in the NTT match you’d be considered an “old shooter” at Perry.  If you’re a “new shooter” you might make the team for a few seasons, but if you don’t steadily improve so they can “burn you” at a team match they’ll drop you.  

The best way to get a look-see by the team is to go to a divisional match, “Forscom” match, then perhaps getting an invite to the “All Army” or “ALL Guard” matches.  It is sometimes difficult to get even “no cost orders” to go to matches.   

For these reasons I declined an invitation to become a National Guardsman to further my service rifle shooting.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Allen Barnett Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:44 pm

It used to be that civilians were welcome at "some" of the different service matches but it is my understanding that it is almost a thing of the past for civilians to shoot at the military matches.  I know that I looked into shooting at the Winston P Wilson matches at Camp Robinson Arkansas several years ago and was told no civilians allowed  by regulations.  However, I remember when I shot on the Missouri Guard pistol team that there were civilians that were on the firing line with all of us Guard and Reserve shooters.

Allen Barnett

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:29 pm

It depends on many factors whether civilians can shoot at military matches.  The Navy did/does allow some (invited possibly) civilians at the “Fleet” level not necessarily the “All Navy” level.  Again it totally depends on the location, local base commander etc….  I got an invite one year to a local USAR “Command level Match” firing the M16, but that was because I helped out the Match Director by loaning him a case of ammo when his allotment didn’t arrive in time.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

bruce martindale likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sc0 Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:00 pm

Another thing to remember it's that a Military Combat EIC match is not the same as a civilian EIC match. Other than that, kevlar helmet and full LBE or plate carrier gear... Does your base have a marksmanship team? Any bases in your area have a marksmanship team?

If looking at joining NGB, you can contact the NGMTC and they can put you in contact with your State Marksmanship Coordinator and get the ball rolling. Show up at a match and shoot good, then it will make communications a bit easier. Show up at a few matches and place in the top five consistently then might get an invite to the All Guard team.

Also remember what a recruiters job is...( Hint: it involves a line with someone else's signature on it.)

Sc0

Back to top Go down

Post by CO1Mtn Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:30 pm

Thank you for the information. I didn't tell my recruiter about my desire to join a shooting team. It looks like I will not be able to join the official shooting team anytime soon. I have always shot iron sights only, I usually shoot rimfire only, and I score 2400 out of 2700. I currently only have one pistol, and I have it set up with a Nelson conversion and I've been shooting just rimfire for the last two years. And my MOS is not 11B. So I will not be in a combat role and will probably not be issued a rifle. Or if I am issued one, it will be under guard while I go about my duties. I will be able to shoot in Army EIC matches, so I'm happy about that.

CO1Mtn

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:56 pm

Lots of guys on the USAR and NG teams with mos other than 11B.  So there is that.  The USAMU members are 11B, however, should you get real hot and shoot 2640+ at the All Army, I bet you’ll get their attention…
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:32 pm

AMU shooters have every MOS under the sun. There is no MOS requirement. 
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Schaumannk likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CO1Mtn Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:03 pm

I'd probably score higher if I used a scope, but I wouldn't be true to my convictions if I do that. I want to leg out, and the only way to do that is with iron sights. So I might as well keep shooting with irons only. A scope would just be a distraction for me. But I might go from 2450 to 2600 with a scope. I don't like extra complexity though, and a scope is one more thing I would have to buy and maintain.

My main concern now is I'm going to be gone for five months, with no way to practice. The only thing I can do is use the three pound dumbbell technique in the gym.

CO1Mtn

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:10 pm

Ask Jason Gregoire , AMU, about shooting with irons.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

bruce martindale likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Hall Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:01 am

CO1Mtn wrote:. . .
My main concern now is I'm going to be gone for five months, with no way to practice. The only thing I can do is use the three pound dumbbell technique in the gym.
Not quite true! You can do a lot of mental training and practice via visualization.  Train through all the intricacies of matches on a regular basis.  Always remember to visualize perfection rather than trying to be realistic.  Instead of visualizing anything less, always visualize what you want to make real.

Ask Brian Zins what shooting he did during a year of recruiting, prior to winning a National Championship.

Ed Hall

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/

Allgoodhits likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JayhawkNavy02 Sat Jan 01, 2022 3:59 pm

Wobbley wrote:It depends on many factors whether civilians can shoot at military matches.  The Navy did/does allow some (invited possibly) civilians at the “Fleet” level not necessarily the “All Navy” level.  Again it totally depends on the location, local base commander etc….  I got an invite one year to a local USAR “Command level Match” firing the M16, but that was because I helped out the Match Director by loaning him a case of ammo when his allotment didn’t arrive in time.

Still does!  Civilians are welcome at the East and West coast matches!

http://usnmt.org
JayhawkNavy02
JayhawkNavy02

Back to top Go down

Post by lonegunman Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:25 pm

If you are joining the National Guard, you might want to connect with the All-Guard teams, they operate out of the National Guard Marksmanship Training Unit in Camp Robinson Ark.  

https://ngmtc.wordpress.com/menu/about/all-guard-shooters/

https://ngmtc.wordpress.com/menu/about/
lonegunman
lonegunman

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:03 am

CO1Mtn wrote:I'd probably score higher if I used a scope, but I wouldn't be true to my convictions if I do that. I want to leg out, and the only way to do that is with iron sights. So I might as well keep shooting with irons only. A scope would just be a distraction for me. But I might go from 2450 to 2600 with a scope. I don't like extra complexity though, and a scope is one more thing I would have to buy and maintain.

If getting distinguished is your present goal, I think you are on the right track with sticking with iron sights. I would suggest shooting with a 4 pound trigger is also important.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down