Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Colt Trooper Mk III

+2
spursnguns
handcycle
6 posters

Go down

Colt Trooper Mk III  Empty Colt Trooper Mk III

Post by handcycle 10/8/2021, 1:35 pm

Is this an accurate target pistol? Chambered for .357 Magnum with a 6" barrel.  It has an adjustable rear sight & shoots 38 Special ammo ( cut cost a little ) as well.
Checking the gun out to consider purchasing as it's quite expensive!
Appreciate your opinion Smile !!
handcycle
handcycle

Back to top Go down

Colt Trooper Mk III  Empty Re: Colt Trooper Mk III

Post by spursnguns 10/8/2021, 2:06 pm

Hello handcycle,

I owned one in the mid 70's.  I used it for PPC for a few years and never felt undergunned.  It was one of the most accurate revolvers that I've ever owned.  Unfortunately, Colt was having acute quality control issues during this time period, so your results may vary.  How much are they asking for it?

Jim
spursnguns
spursnguns

handcycle likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by James Hensler 10/8/2021, 3:13 pm

I read somewhere that the Trooper’s trigger was not hand fit like a Python
James Hensler
James Hensler

Back to top Go down

Post by spursnguns 10/8/2021, 3:28 pm

James Hensler wrote:I read somewhere that the Trooper’s trigger was not hand fit like a Python

Hello James Hensler,

When they were producing the Trooper, the technology did not exist that would allow any revolver to be produced without some sort of hand fitting.  Nonetheless, they typically were not as smooth as a Python but, also, they did not have any stacking of the trigger in double action shooting.  I don't believe that I had any work done to mine other than thinning the trigger itself to make it more conducive for double action shooting.

Jim
spursnguns
spursnguns

Back to top Go down

Post by Darrell Cox 10/9/2021, 8:15 pm

The Colt Trooper MK III is not a Python knock off. It has a coil mainspring, the hammer and trigger are MIM parts. It is a slick action and well made. I have seen a few hammer spurs break off but other than that not a bad gun. The gun was introduced in 1969 I believe and MIM technology was not too good then.

Darrell Cox

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 10/9/2021, 8:45 pm

To be “pedantic”, it wasn’t MIM back then.  It was called “powder metal parts”.  SIMILAR concept but different results.  The parts in the Trooper are Powder Metal.  It is a decent way of making parts and is somewhat easier to make parts, but like anything else, they have to be process controlled correctly. 
https://www.horizontechnology.biz/blog/metal-injection-molding-vs-powder-metallurgy

The Trooper is a decent gun and is as accurate as any revolver.  IMO, the ranking for “out of the box “ 38/357 revolver accuracy is Colt Python & OMM, S&W 14, Trooper, Ruger….but remember also there’s LOTS of overlap here and just because you have a Python, doesn’t make it THE most accurate in any mix of wheelgins.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

chopper likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by WesG 10/10/2021, 12:20 pm

Re 'powdered metal', it's likely your car has connecting rods and transmission gears made by that process. And the best 'high speed steel' cutting tools are made from it as well.

I had a Mk3 in 22. 7 or 8" barrel. A beast of a revolver. Another gun I regret selling. I remember it being pretty smooth and a good shooter.

WesG

Back to top Go down

Post by handcycle 10/10/2021, 12:34 pm

Good to know that!
handcycle
handcycle

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content