Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spotting scope mounting ring?

4 posters

Go down

Spotting scope mounting ring? Empty Spotting scope mounting ring?

Post by Sefuller 10/16/2021, 7:30 pm

I am a newer shooter interested in getting into a bullseye league.  I have begun to acquire some equipment which so far consists of a Pachmayr box with Gil Hebard adjustable scope mount as well as an old Bushnell SpaceMaster scope (rebadged Kowa TS-1).  The scope does not have a mounting base on it and I am wondering before I try to re-invent the wheel, if there is a ring with a threaded base that could be attached to the scope body?

Thanks,
Scott

Sefuller

Back to top Go down

Spotting scope mounting ring? Empty Re: Spotting scope mounting ring?

Post by RodJ 10/16/2021, 10:09 pm

Doesn’t the scope have a threaded hole and the Hebard mount a plastic knob with a threaded bolt to fit the scope?  Have an old 20x Spacemaster as well and it has a threaded hole.  But my box has a Pachmayr mount that uses a metal hose clamp / ring.

RodJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Sefuller 10/17/2021, 9:10 am

No threaded hole in this one unfortunately. That would have simplified things!

Sefuller

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 10/17/2021, 9:45 am

A million years ago we used hose clamps. Today there are better choices. Spotting scope mounting ring? Screen13
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 10/18/2021, 9:31 am

Would this work or be adapted to fit? https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/1023961139?pid=706432&utm_medium=shopping&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Optics+-+Spotting+Scopes&utm_content=706432&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkOXi55XU8wIVcWxvBB2zBgEWEAQYAiABEgLBv_D_BwE

You might also consider something like this that you could use epoxy putty to stick to your scope. I've used epoxy putty on a lot of things, including sticking directly on steel, and it holds very well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBpOIamr1Tw
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by RodJ 10/18/2021, 7:05 pm

Here’s a thought.  Get one of these. 

https://www.creedmoorsports.com/product/creedmoor-spotting-scope-mount-saver/Scope-and-Stand-Accessories

Put a small piece of rubber (old bike tire inner tube) underneath the doodad so it doesn’t slip on the scope surface. Then hose clamp it to the scope.  Looks like there’s enough room to get a hose clamp on it and have a hole or two exposed for the Hebard.  

If there’s no flat surface on the scope you can use some epoxy putty and bed the adapter into it. Use release agent (Pam cooking spray works) on the scope body and then the epoxy won’t stick, you just made yourself a curved support.  Oh, and definitely put tape on the adapter BEFORE bedding it in epoxy.

Better yet, trade me your Hebard for my Pachmayr scope mount. :-)

RodJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down