Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NON-BULLSEYE: Install Red Dot on Taurus PT99

4 posters

Go down

NON-BULLSEYE: Install Red Dot on Taurus PT99 Empty NON-BULLSEYE: Install Red Dot on Taurus PT99

Post by Oleg G 11/1/2021, 1:02 pm

This is not a Bullseye-related topic.

I would like to install a Reflex Red Dot on my Taurus PT99. I like the pistol very much but it is not up to Bullseye accuracy. Yet, it serves very well as a house handgun and Winter carry for self-defense. I would like to install a Reflex type Red dot on the pistol, since I cannot see the iron sights anymore without prescription glasses, and looking for the glasses in a defensive scenario is not the best option.

I have done the research and there are few dot mounts for Beretta 92 but none for the Taurus PT99, which has adjustable sights.

Therefore, a question to the gunsmiths: can anybody do a slide cut on my pistol, so I can mount the reflex dot? If so, I will supply the dot with the slide.

Here is the picture of a PT99 slide with the rear sight removed. (not mine)

NON-BULLSEYE: Install Red Dot on Taurus PT99 Pt99_s10

Best Regards,
Oleg.
Oleg G
Oleg G

Back to top Go down

NON-BULLSEYE: Install Red Dot on Taurus PT99 Empty Re: NON-BULLSEYE: Install Red Dot on Taurus PT99

Post by Wobbley 11/1/2021, 2:01 pm

Maybe this? 

https://www.wholesalehunter.com/Product/Details/62189
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

NON-BULLSEYE: Install Red Dot on Taurus PT99 Empty Re: NON-BULLSEYE: Install Red Dot on Taurus PT99

Post by Oleg G 11/1/2021, 3:45 pm

Thanks, Ashley. Great minds think alike. Since I wrote the message I ordered this mount and a Burris red dot to try. Will report how it fits!

Best Regards,
Oleg.
Oleg G
Oleg G

Back to top Go down

Post by Tripscape 11/1/2021, 5:46 pm

Oleg, I have same Burris for 1911 Novak cut. I know may not be exact comparison, but just wanted to tell you that the insert that goes into the dovetail is not exactly friction held. That insert is very loose, I mean very. Don't be afraid. The whole thing is tension held by the screws that go into dove piece, while main part is beveled on the bottom, which prevents sliding around on the top of the slide. I threw few drops of my favorite blue loctite on the dove piece and on the 2 screws holding it. It is dead on there, I am extremely surprised how something that feels crap can be so good ))).

So what I am trying to say is don't discount it until you get it on there tight.
Yevgeny

Tripscape

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 11/1/2021, 5:59 pm

To lend Creedence to Yevgeny, here is a protocol of a couple of targets shot with a Burris mount in a 745.  It works well.

NON-BULLSEYE: Install Red Dot on Taurus PT99 33c3c910
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tripscape 11/1/2021, 8:22 pm

I will correct myself, the mechanics feel crap, but work great, much much better than first looks. Burris mount fit and finish are top notch and are flawless on the pistol.

Tripscape

Back to top Go down

Post by Oleg G 11/4/2021, 4:27 pm

Well, I purchased the Burris mount and the Burris Fastfire site and the mount does not fit into the slot for the adjustable site. The mount is supposed to fit into a dovetail, however the empty space left by the adjustable slot is way to big for the dovetail plate - it simply falls out together with the mount. I will be sending the mount and the red dot back.
Oleg G
Oleg G

Back to top Go down

Post by Tripscape 11/4/2021, 8:23 pm

Oleg, when you tighten mount (piece that goesi nto the dovetail) to the plate (top, on which Burris would reside) does it not stay in? As I was saying the dovetail piece is super lose in the dovetail, but once you screw to the plate it all stays in place.  
Btw, Vortex Venom is the same footprint and miles better for same price.
Yevgeny

Tripscape

Back to top Go down

Post by Oleg G 11/5/2021, 5:52 am

Yevgeny,

No, the dovetail piece and the mount both fall out, even when screwed together tightly. This is because my PT99 does not have a dovetail, but a much larger cut in the slide for the adjustable rear site - see the picture I posted.

Oleg.
Oleg G
Oleg G

Back to top Go down

Post by Texasref 11/5/2021, 9:19 am

Try "Evolution Gun Works".
Give them a call and speak with them directly. They may have a mount that will fit better.

Texasref

Back to top Go down

Post by Oleg G 11/5/2021, 9:31 am

Thanks for the advice. I just spoke with EGW. They are planning to come out in the next few weeks with a mount for a Beretta with a fixed sight. But it will not fit the Taurus with the adjustable sight.

Best Regards,
Oleg.
Oleg G
Oleg G

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down