Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How many here cast their own pistol bullets?

+10
teg2658
SMBeyer
Al
10sandxs
fc60
james r chapman
dannyd93140
Gary Collette
Wobbley
bruce martindale
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

How many here cast their own pistol bullets? - Page 2 Empty How many here cast their own pistol bullets?

Post by bruce martindale Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:22 pm

First topic message reminder :

Just curious here, l have always made my own with a wide variety of moulds from the classic H&G 68 to the obscure 452389 and the 45266 Dinan moulds.

Almost always used wheelweights for a BHN of 9, yet when I measure good commercial bullets like Mastercast and some others, they are around 15. To me the issue was to have moulds cleaned with Dawn and then preheated to 350 F and to use about 2% tin for a good fill.

Mark C recommended 14 from a fellow whose name l forgot . He had some samples at Canton this year. I suspect the commercial guys go a bit harder to overcome bad sizing die / expander plug design.

Anyways what are your thoughts on casting and good long line bullets? . I also have excellent results with soft swaged bullets like the old Star 185 hp/ Zero 185 lead.

I am also a member on CastBoolits but you can't discern the bangers from the precision pistol guys like we have here.

Thanks

bruce martindale

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t20747-feeling-center-a-10-bullsey

Back to top Go down

How many here cast their own pistol bullets? - Page 2 Empty Re: How many here cast their own pistol bullets?

Post by oldsalt444 Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:44 pm

Casting my own makes for a good rainy day project.  I use Lee and other brands aluminum molds, a Lee bottom pour melter and a Star sizer.  Wheel weights with about 1% tin from bar solder gives me about 10-11 BHN.  Can't complain about the accuracy since it's about the same as commercial cast.  

I have cast shotgun slugs but the accuracy sucks. But I did manage to take a buck once.  I was aiming for his chest, but hit him in the neck.  Dropped like an anchor.
oldsalt444
oldsalt444

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2