Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Poll - Do you cast your own bullets?

+7
jmdavis
Virgil Kane
kwixdraw
John
Rob Kovach
dronning
beeser
11 posters

Go down

Do you cast your own bullets?

Poll - Do you cast your own bullets? Vote_lcap27%Poll - Do you cast your own bullets? Vote_rcap 27% 
[ 16 ]
Poll - Do you cast your own bullets? Vote_lcap13%Poll - Do you cast your own bullets? Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 8 ]
Poll - Do you cast your own bullets? Vote_lcap60%Poll - Do you cast your own bullets? Vote_rcap 60% 
[ 36 ]

Total Votes : 60

Poll closed

Poll - Do you cast your own bullets? Empty Poll - Do you cast your own bullets?

Post by beeser Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:34 pm

The last poll on favorite powders was very informative, at least for me.  I'm also curious now about the number of members that cast their own bullets.

Last edited by beeser on Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:07 pm; edited 2 times in total

beeser

Back to top Go down

Poll - Do you cast your own bullets? Empty Re: Poll - Do you cast your own bullets?

Post by dronning Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:41 pm

beeser when you start a new topic you have the option to add a poll yourself, it's down on the bottom of the post a new topic screen.

Also if you edit your original post the poll option will appear too.

- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Poll - Do you cast your own bullets? Empty Re: Poll - Do you cast your own bullets?

Post by Rob Kovach Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:03 pm

Yeah...hit edit and scroll down.
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by John Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:39 pm

Reasons for casting ---1---low cost-bullets cost me less than $ .01 each

2---electric melting pot bought when I started shooting BE--still works fine

3--H & G 4 cavity molds (# 68 & # 130)--bought same time--still cast like new

I realize that not everyone "has the time" to cast/lube bullets--(beats watching the TV)-- my 2 cents, John

John

Back to top Go down

Post by kwixdraw Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:46 am

John wrote:Reasons for casting ---1---low cost-bullets cost me less than $ .01 each

2---electric melting pot bought when I started shooting BE--still works fine

3--H & G 4 cavity molds (# 68 & # 130)--bought same time--still cast like new

I realize that not everyone "has the time" to cast/lube bullets--(beats watching the TV)-- my 2 cents, John
#4; Too OCD to not continually tinker with different sizing dies, lubes and bullet designs.

#5; Extra satisfaction from tailoring the bullet and load for best performance.

#6; Gives me the ability to continually duplicate a load that is working well
kwixdraw
kwixdraw

Back to top Go down

Post by Virgil Kane Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:03 am

For BE I use other bullets like Magnus, swaged and cast and on occasion use a Lyman 452460 200 grain swc that I cast myself. For the amount of bullets I go through I would be casting almost every week and that's not feasible for me

But I do cast all my own bulllets that I use for handgun and rifle hunting. Cast either 30- or 40-1. Can't find a commercial caster that gives me the softness or the style of bullet I use for this purpose. No

Virgil

Virgil Kane

Back to top Go down

Post by jmdavis Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:14 pm

I do not cast for bullseye, but do cast for muzzleloading (roundball and bullet), Black Powder Cartridge Rifle (.45 540), .45 colt hunting loads and have cast for cowboy action.

Last edited by jmdavis on Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
jmdavis
jmdavis

Back to top Go down

Post by KenO Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:19 pm

I have been casting for over 40 years, its something I enjoy doing. I use mostly wheelweights that I get for almost nothing from local tire stores. I don't enjoy the lubesizing with my old Lyman,  I lust for a Star.

When things get up to temp, I can cast several hundred an hour with a six banger.

KenO

Back to top Go down

Poll - Do you cast your own bullets? Empty Cast Bullets

Post by 243winxb Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:14 pm

I cast. Have used some Speer swaged for 50 yds Bullseye years ago.   Poll - Do you cast your own bullets? CastBullets_20090207_004
243winxb
243winxb

Back to top Go down

Post by Axehandle Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:51 pm

Need a 4th option.  I cast bullets but not for my bullseye guns. My bullseye guns like Magnus bullets.   I cast and size for my  32 cal to 51 cal revolvers   I use a Magma Engineering Master Caster and the Magma Star size/lube tool.  Have a Lyman bottom pour pot and few sets of other molds and handles too.   Mostly LBT molds.  Like LBT blue lube.  Star sits on a heater plate.  I plug it in just long enough to warm the star body.   Own one or two GC molds but generally don't make many GC bullets. I believe in hoarding linotype and mixing it with the appropriate amount of pure lead to get the hardness I need.  Use the LBT hardness tester.   FWIW if Magnus stopped casting bullseye bullets I'd pick up molds from Magma and get busy..

Axehandle

Back to top Go down

Post by kwixdraw Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:56 pm

Magma also converts their molds for hand use and they work very well, though they are two cavity max.
kwixdraw
kwixdraw

Back to top Go down

Post by noylj Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:05 am

I used to cast all my own bullets for matches and such, but I no longer have the lead, time, or desire.

noylj

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down