Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Springfield 1911 Garrison

+11
Grouse
James Hensler
zanemoseley
Lightfoot
knightimac
kc.crawford.7
Merick
Skid
javaduke
BE Mike
desben
15 posters

Go down

Springfield 1911 Garrison Empty Springfield 1911 Garrison

Post by desben 11/28/2021, 6:09 am

A couple of weeks ago, Springfield Armory launched a new line of 1911 called the "Garrison". Beavertail, blued finish, novak sights, for an MSRP of $800. In many ways similar to what the Range Officer was. Now, if only they would release a Garrison Target with Bo-Mar sights, we'd have a new winner to recommend to those wanting to get into bullseye.

https://www.springfield-armory.com/1911-series-handguns/1911-garrison-handguns/

Springfield 1911 Garrison PX9420_R
desben
desben

knightimac and orpheoet like this post

Back to top Go down

Springfield 1911 Garrison Empty Re: Springfield 1911 Garrison

Post by BE Mike 11/28/2021, 8:56 am

With the SA Loaded Target you get a "match grade barrel" and adjustable sights for MSRP of $1,065.
BE Mike
BE Mike

knightimac likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by desben 11/28/2021, 9:33 am

The Garrison also has a "match grade" barrel, but the wrong sights. The Loaded has Bo-Mar sights, but only in stainless; no target version in carbon steel.
desben
desben

Back to top Go down

Post by javaduke 11/28/2021, 2:23 pm

One option might be to use the "Nomar" base: https://www.bunkerarms.com/product-page/nomar-conversion-base
But I really don't get it why most manufacturers these days use the Novak fixed sights. I guess they are cheaper to manufacture?

javaduke

https://eb-custom.us

Back to top Go down

Post by Skid 11/28/2021, 6:47 pm

I had about the same idea, why not find out what rear sight cut Springfield used and use a sight pusher and remove the Novak sight and replace it with a adjustable rear that fits.

Skid

Back to top Go down

Post by Merick 11/28/2021, 7:13 pm

If it makes you feel any better, springfield uses their own crazy dimensions and not novak's. Or maybe novak rear and Dan Wesson front? I don't remember the details, but they made it harder than it had to be for no reason.

Also I wonder if the slim grips have the slim grip bushings instead of the standard ones?

Merick

Back to top Go down

Post by kc.crawford.7 11/29/2021, 7:37 am

Merick wrote:If it makes you feel any better, springfield uses their own crazy dimensions and not novak's. Or maybe novak rear and Dan Wesson front? I don't remember the details, but they made it harder than it had to be for no reason.

Also I wonder if the slim grips have the slim grip bushings instead of the standard ones?
The reason they have to do that is they didn't want to pay royalties to Novak for the use of his sight cut.  Or so that is my understanding.
kc.crawford.7
kc.crawford.7

http://www.kcskustomcreations.com

Back to top Go down

Post by knightimac 11/30/2021, 7:50 am

I'm thankful to have found a new Range Officer 45 at a local gun store a few weeks ago for $850.  It only took 15 phone calls within a 50 mile radius to locate a one.  Now I plan on shooting it alot rather than chasing more expensive or used equipment.

The Garrison seems like a good choice for a slide rail and dot.  The Ronin may be Ok too for build.

One thing I love about the few Springfields that I've owned they just seem to run and shoot well out of the box.
knightimac
knightimac

Fotomaniac and popchevy like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Lightfoot 12/2/2021, 11:17 am

javaduke wrote:One option might be to use the "Nomar" base: https://www.bunkerarms.com/product-page/nomar-conversion-base
But I really don't get it why most manufacturers these days use the Novak fixed sights. I guess they are cheaper to manufacture?
This is a possible option, but in my opinion the NOMAR is pretty expensive as a plan A.  In a perfect world buy a gun with the right cut from the factory.  With milling, the NOMAR will cost over $250.  I started a build with a Novak cut then changed my mind mid stream to make it a ball gun.  The NOMAR is the perfect "plan b" for something like this.  Had I not already fit the slide and barrel, It would have been way cheaper to start with the right slide.
Lightfoot
Lightfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by javaduke 12/2/2021, 11:22 am

Hmm, I' wondering if it's possible to machine a custom base which accepts the Bomar blade and fits in the existing slide cut. The only downside seems to be that it will sit a bit higher which will require a taller front sight.
I've never tried it before, so I don't know if there are any technical limitations.

javaduke

https://eb-custom.us

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley 12/2/2021, 12:40 pm

This crap is one of the reasons I just have Jon build me custom guns now, especially if you're adding a rail so you you don't see old sight cuts. If you want a good gun you're usually going to trash the stock ignition parts, barrel, bushing and slide stop. Then you get to deal with the factory slide to frame fit. At least the new SA models are blued instead of parked, wasn't a fan of the RO finish. The RO Elite had the nicer ceramic coating but think its gone now too.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by James Hensler 12/2/2021, 4:33 pm

Option one 
Call Springfield order the Garrison and add the Bo-mar rear.
James Hensler
James Hensler

knightimac and Fotomaniac like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Grouse 1/4/2022, 10:01 am

Newbie here. For curiosity sake....what would it take  to make the Garrison a decent Bullseye gun? With or without a red dot.  Who would you send it to?

Grouse

Back to top Go down

Post by popchevy 1/6/2022, 9:20 am

I started with a new RO , put a dot on it and adjusted the trigger. It shoots pretty good as is. My advice is to do the same ,get good with it THEN soup it up. Thats how I am approaching this game. I am fairly new at this also, I just started last summer and am having a ball !

popchevy

Back to top Go down

Post by Tangeant 1/19/2022, 7:49 pm

The two garrisons I looked at were pretty tight frame /slide fit. Triggers weren't so great. You can put a LPA adj rear sight in the Novak cut.

Loaded is better bang for buck, have one with lpa adj rear added. The two Garrisons were 739 next shelf down was a like new SA loaded for 729 I have another loaded now , wanted a Novak sight one.

Tangeant
Tangeant

Back to top Go down

Post by troystaten 1/19/2022, 11:12 pm

If you are going with a dot sight just get a SA milspec, it has a carbon steel frame and slide.  You can upgrade the barrel and bushing. I have one that was done by Dave Salyer then re-done with some additional changes by a smith I know and it is a really nice shooting pistol.

troystaten

Grouse likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by inthebeech 1/20/2022, 7:27 am

[quote="troystaten"]If you are going with a dot sight just get a SA milspec, it has a carbon steel frame and slide.  You can upgrade the barrel and bushing. I have one that was done by Dave Salyer then re-done with some additional changes by a smith I know and it is a really nice shooting pistol.[/quote]

I only have one of each, a RO and a MilSpec, as a basis for my opinion.  But the MilSpec has a tighter frame-slide fit (.002-.003 vert and horiz at both front and rear) than the RO.  And a rail will completely cover the small rear dovetail of the MilSpec.  If you shoot irons, you get an extra bit of sight radius when you set up the slide with an old-school high mount Kensight (BoMar copy) rear or heave rib  Even better.
If all MilSpec guns now are as well fit off the shelf, as the RO ever was, we are no worse off than before the RO was discontinued.  You just have to drop your MilSpec in the stones a few times to distract you from the ugly, factory finish.  It feels like six-hundred grit sandpaper.  I can use the side of the slide as a sharpening stone.   :lol:
inthebeech
inthebeech

troystaten and Grouse like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down