Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Primer problem-need advice

+9
Allgoodhits
Steve in Allentown
Jon Eulette
Wobbley
james r chapman
jglenn21
rbwillnj
DA/SA
oldtrptplyr
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Primer problem-need advice - Page 2 Empty Primer problem-need advice

Post by oldtrptplyr 1/3/2022, 9:32 am

First topic message reminder :

38 Super with 4.6 Bullseye and 115gr bullet. Gun is early Springfield Trophy Master Distinguished(old race gun). 

It looks like the primer is pierced and then melted shut- is that even possible.

Thanks for any suggestions/opinions

Tom Stewart/Oregon

oldtrptplyr

Back to top Go down

Primer problem-need advice - Page 2 Empty Re: Primer problem-need advice

Post by Allgoodhits 1/4/2022, 9:12 am

Based on knowns, with still many unknowns. I think the primers are your culprit. Are you able to try the exact same load, using any other SPPs? It sounds like you are familiar with the gun, do those loads "feel" hot? You indicated that the brass just falls out, so my guess it does not feel like a hot load. If you don't have any other SPP to try, then reduce the load a couple tenths and try it. Often the race gun set ups, with the light recoil spring, they will add a heavier than normal mainspring. Can you determine if that was done? Try another MS. Interesting...
Allgoodhits
Allgoodhits

oldtrptplyr likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RodJ 1/4/2022, 10:05 pm

Tom,
When did this primer issue first appear? Has this load always shown this? Spring changes right before?  Any other loads showing unusual primers?

Just thinking out loud.  (Hazardous to my reputation, I know!)

RodJ

Back to top Go down

Post by blindshooter 1/5/2022, 6:00 am

I have a 9mm SA that did that.
I'll have to look at the notes but I think a tight fitting steel FP and a FP stop with less radius was the fix for that one. Maybe a "standard" FP return spring as well.
Or I may have just started using the small mountain of old CCI 400 primers I have.....

blindshooter

Back to top Go down

Post by Kp321 1/5/2022, 10:42 pm

My Springfield RO had a raised ring around the firing pin hole that was acting like a hole punch and punching the center out of the primers when shot. Some careful hand stoning of the breach face cured the problem.

Kp321

Back to top Go down

Post by oldtrptplyr 1/10/2022, 8:57 pm

Results of testing:

Different load with suspect primers(S&B). Primers still smeared. Load was 124Hp w/7.3 HS6

Same new load(HS6) with small rifle primers(CCI)- good results

HS6 load with small pistol primers(CCI) - good results

Next thing I did was pull the firing pin spring and replace it with a new standard spring. All the tests above were performed again with the same results!!!

Next: 9mm 1911 with lite load(3.2 N320 147gr RN) S&B primers. No smearing or puncture but mild cratering with the small elevated ring. One inch groups at 25. 

I will use those S&B primers in my target 38s. They have been performing well there for years. 

Thanks again to all who contributed and made suggestions. I am grateful

Tom

oldtrptplyr

Back to top Go down

Post by Slamfire 1/11/2022, 12:17 pm

Cut your load by a half a grain, and continue cutting till the problem goes away, or the pistol stops cycling.

I am of the opinion what you are seeing is the anvil protruding through the primer cup due to high pressures.

Primer problem-need advice - Page 2 JaNeH0D

this is a rifle primer sticking through the cup of a 223 round. There is too much powder in the case. I think that is what going on with your primers. The fact you are not seeing this with small rifle primers is due to the thicker primer cup. Cut the load first, philosophical arguments later.

Slamfire

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2