Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Number of S&W 41's seen on firing lines

+4
CR10X
spursnguns
Yiogo
Colt711
8 posters

Go down

Number of S&W 41's seen on firing lines Empty Number of S&W 41's seen on firing lines

Post by Colt711 7/19/2013, 1:49 am

The breakdown by make of Mayliegh Cup Pistols reminded me that I have thought it strange this gun doesn't dominate the BE lines. During my better years I used Hi Standards (giles) but after the Co. had problems I sold them and bought a new 41. The pistol felt great, was very accurate, and was reliable. All that being said I did not score as well with it and never warmed up to the gun. Eventually I sold it and shoot Marvel & a Bob Marvel AA. I should add that during the yrs I used the 41 I tried various modifications such as grips, weights, and barrel length.

When I started shooting BE, in the '60's, 19 not 18, at our matches a typical line would be 10 or 11 HS's and 1 0r 2 41's, now & then a Colt, Browning, or a foreign mfg.

I'm interested in what others think about these comments and why the 41 hasn't dominated as it seemed it might.

Thank you for whatever you may add!
Ron

Colt711

Back to top Go down

Number of S&W 41's seen on firing lines Empty Re: Number of S&W 41's seen on firing lines

Post by Yiogo 7/19/2013, 8:52 am

I almost bought one but did not. The trigger and pistole were a bit too heavy for me. Yiogo

Yiogo

Back to top Go down

Number of S&W 41's seen on firing lines Empty Re: Number of S&W 41's seen on firing lines

Post by spursnguns 7/19/2013, 1:33 pm

Out here on the left coast, during the 1970's and 1980's, High Standards ruled the line.  Even our local pistol god, Bob Chow, would only work on them.  You saw very few Smith and Wessons (M41), Colts (Woodman), Brownings (Medalist), etcetera.  Here, as far as everyone was concerned, Smith and Wesson was a revolver company (even though they sold autoloaders for years).  I don’t think it could shake that reputation until they introduced their M59 and then it was too late for the target shooting market as, by that time, European models were becoming more available in the United States.

Back in the 1970’s; I had a Victor and a Military Citation (both well used and loved) and a new in the box M41.  I sold the two High Standards for college tuition money because no one wanted the Smith.  That same unwanted M41 is my go to gun today.

Jim
spursnguns
spursnguns

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X 7/19/2013, 3:22 pm

I tried shooting the 41 a few years ago when S&W proposed giving one to the high .41 shooter at Perry.  It is a good gun today, but not a great gun for me.  S&W has way too tight dimensions on the lands and grooves and too generous on the chamber in my opinion.  Just check out which pilots will fit in a factory 41 barrel. 

Second, the trigger sear design is again, good but not great for me. Some shooters just do not get comfortable with it.  

Again, most reports are less than adequate accuracy, while the older High Standards (and definitely the newer) were sometimes less than reliable.  The good ones of each were and are very good. Same with Rugers, etc.  

I'm not putting down any gun, and I will never say that some great scores can't be shot with any particular gun.  I seem to remember they had to take Zins' 41 away from him (could be wrong) when he first started bullseye with the team.  The issue is that shooters want to be very comfortable that they can go to the line and not have problems with whatever they buy. 

And right now the price range for a new 41 is most of the way there to a good used Hammerli and the resale of a Hammerli is much higher if you change your mind.  The price of a Marvel is about 1/3 the price of a new 41, and you ain't out that much or can use as a 1911 trainer if it don't work out for bullseye.  That kinda puts the 41 in a very slim market share.  

Cecil

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR 7/19/2013, 5:27 pm

The 41 was used by Herschel Anderson to shoot the 22 portion of his record of 2680 that has stood since 1974. He still shoots a 41  at some matches. Its not the type of gun you shoot as much as it is the talent of the shooter holding  it.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by WVBE Shooter 7/19/2013, 6:56 pm

I just purchased a used, new Model 41 from Jaquas Fine Guns in Findlay, OH.  I saw the ad and told them to please hold the gun I would be in the next day to look it over.  When I finally arrived the next day there were two names under mine that wanted the pistol if i didn't purchase it.  Also as I was paying for the pistol because it was 98% for $850.00 there was a customer that called in about the availabililty of it.  Sounds to me like there is still a market out there for Model 41's.

WVBE Shooter

Back to top Go down

Post by spursnguns 7/19/2013, 7:25 pm

WVBE Shooter wrote:I just purchased a used, new Model 41 from Jaquas Fine Guns in Findlay, OH.  I saw the ad and told them to please hold the gun I would be in the next day to look it over.  When I finally arrived the next day there were two names under mine that wanted the pistol if i didn't purchase it.  Also as I was paying for the pistol because it was 98% for $850.00 there was a customer that called in about the availabililty of it.  Sounds to me like there is still a market out there for Model 41's.

In my neck of the woods; $850.00 is a good price.  My M41 with CCI Pistol Match or Green Tag is hard to beat.  But it is true; it really is the man, or woman, behind the gun (e. g. Zins, Anderson, et. al.).
spursnguns
spursnguns

Back to top Go down

Post by DRNurse1 7/20/2013, 10:31 am

spursnguns wrote:
WVBE Shooter wrote:I just purchased a used, new Model 41 from Jaquas Fine Guns in Findlay, OH.  I saw the ad and told them to please hold the gun I would be in the next day to look it over.  When I finally arrived the next day there were two names under mine that wanted the pistol if i didn't purchase it.  Also as I was paying for the pistol because it was 98% for $850.00 there was a customer that called in about the availabililty of it.  Sounds to me like there is still a market out there for Model 41's.

In my neck of the woods; $850.00 is a good price.  My M41 with CCI Pistol Match or Green Tag is hard to beat.  But it is true; it really is the man, or woman, behind the gun (e. g. Zins, Anderson, et. al.).

I grabbed my 41 for 'only' $600 because it has a 7" barrel. It is not finicky on the ammo it likes and I can hold the 10 ring at 50 yards from sandbags. I can concur with the previous posts about the first 6 inches determining the quality of the gun's performance (between my ears).

I have a Mitchell and one of the 'new' High Standards but the Smith & Wesson is my go to gun. The others are easier to work on, though.

DRNurse1

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris_D 7/20/2013, 2:51 pm

I have a 41 and a Marvel - both guns shoot master scores and I have done so many times with them.  The 41 is my go-to gun for 22. It is very reliable and I can only recall having 1 alibi with it during the last few years of league and matches. I purchased the 41 in the early 80s so I don't know how it compares to today's 41s.

As for accuracy, I usually shoot a few points higher with the 41 than the Marvel.  I shot the 41 in this year's sectionals and shot an 871 and during league I shot 290+ four times.  The only slow fire target I ever cleaned was with the 41 at the WI state outdoor match last year. The gun is accurate and reliable.

I purchased it with the 7" barrel and I use an ultradot matchdot 2, and CMM 1911 grip adapters.  

In my humble opinion, my model 41 is certainly capable of shooting perfect scores, I wish I was as accurate and reliable as that gun has been to me.

Chris D.

Chris_D

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down