Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Firm Grip

+3
tovaert
PhotoEscape
Jwhelan939
7 posters

Go down

Firm Grip  Empty Firm Grip

Post by Jwhelan939 2/19/2022, 9:43 am

Didn't really feel like this was Equipment nor Fundamentals, so went to the General topic.

I run hot. I always have sweaty hands that effect my grip. Additionally, during the winter my hands get callused and stipling doesn't really bite into my hand. When I shoot outside and am nice and cold I get a great grip. When I'm hot, not so much. I did a search on here to see if anyone uses rosin. Looks like people recommend Firm Grip. Unfortunately, I am having a hard time getting a good supply. It looks like all of the recent stuff had been sitting in a warehouse somewhere and ended up a solid brick. Does anyone have any similar products that help them? Even a pitcher style rosin bag? Thank you.

Jwhelan939

Back to top Go down

Firm Grip  Empty Re: Firm Grip

Post by PhotoEscape 2/19/2022, 10:01 am

Check out this one - https://www.aerialessentials.com/product/firm-grip/

I personally didn't use it.  Heard good things in gym about it.

AP
PhotoEscape
PhotoEscape
Admin

Jwhelan939 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tovaert 2/19/2022, 12:10 pm

I put 3-M anti-skid tape on the grips. I buy it at a local hardware store. Anti-perspirant, Pistol Pro Grip (chalky white)...

tovaert

Back to top Go down

Post by fc60 2/19/2022, 3:04 pm

Greetings,

Two thoughts.

One, try a set of Hogue rubber grips, if available for your gun. They seem to grip well in all sorts of weather conditions.

Two, Cramer Firm Grip works well; but, it will make wood grips look ugly.

Cheers,

Dave
fc60
fc60

Back to top Go down

Post by brassmaster 2/19/2022, 5:48 pm

I've used the Cramer Firm Grip spray ($12. -- 4oz. spray) that I remembered from my football days. I had forgotten how "sticky" it is and using it in a match, it "sticks" and stays on your hands and your fingers stick to everything you touch/handle throughout the day of shooting a match. It's also difficult to get off of your hand too. I carried a tube of the kitchen wipes that worked well as did anti-bacterial hand sanitizer that was freely available at matches during the Covid scare. After a couple of uses, I quit using it because it was such a nuisance and had begun to build up on my grips. I switched to the Cramer powered rosin. It comes in a 4oz. sprinkle bottle and I maintained a firm grip on my .45, with hardball and you can remove it with a little water, and it does not stain/buildup on your grips. It's somewhat pricier at $14. --4oz, but it lasts a long, long time. 
Amazon.com : Cramer Firm Grip, Anti-Slip Grip Enhancer for Sweaty Hands & Activities Like Football, Tennis, Golf, Weightlifting, Pole Fitness & Gymnastics, Spray or Powder, 4 Ounce 
brassmaster
brassmaster

http://www.whitehorsecenter.org, click on Brassmasters

Back to top Go down

Post by Jwhelan939 2/19/2022, 5:58 pm

brassmaster wrote:I've used the Cramer Firm Grip spray ($12. -- 4oz. spray) that I remembered from my football days. I had forgotten how "sticky" it is and using it in a match, it "sticks" and stays on your hands and your fingers stick to everything you touch/handle throughout the day of shooting a match. It's also difficult to get off of your hand too. I carried a tube of the kitchen wipes that worked well as did anti-bacterial hand sanitizer that was freely available at matches during the Covid scare. After a couple of uses, I quit using it because it was such a nuisance and had begun to build up on my grips. I switched to the Cramer powered rosin. It comes in a 4oz. sprinkle bottle and I maintained a firm grip on my .45, with hardball and you can remove it with a little water, and it does not stain/buildup on your grips. It's somewhat pricier at $14. --4oz, but it lasts a long, long time. 
Amazon.com : Cramer Firm Grip, Anti-Slip Grip Enhancer for Sweaty Hands & Activities Like Football, Tennis, Golf, Weightlifting, Pole Fitness & Gymnastics, Spray or Powder, 4 Ounce 
Was the Cramer bottle you purchased recent? This is what I originally wanted, but sort the reviews by "most recent" I saw that the past like six months were bad reviews saying that the bottles they recieved were expired and dried out? You didn't have any issues?

Jwhelan939

Back to top Go down

Post by brassmaster 2/19/2022, 6:26 pm

My bottle, purchased from Amazon (Champion's Choice stopped selling the Cramer Rosin) was o.k., but at some point, the rosin absorbed some moisture maybe attributable to temperature swings or downpours at Camp Perry. So, I added rice, let it marinate a few days, shook the mixture and end of issue. 
Dave was spot-on with his comment. I have seen grips that shooters have been using Firm Grip spray for an extended period of time and the grips are not only ugly, but they also show buildup. Very difficult to remove it and not sure you can without damaging the aesthetics of the grips, especially unattractive & disappointing if high dollar custom grips.
brassmaster
brassmaster

http://www.whitehorsecenter.org, click on Brassmasters

Back to top Go down

Post by Jwhelan939 2/19/2022, 7:09 pm

I don't have any fancy grips on my 1911, but both the front and back straps of the 1911 have 20lpi stipling, so I'd rather not gunk that up. But sounds like the powder is a better way to go. Thank you for the info. Hopefully my bottle arrives okay.

Jwhelan939

Back to top Go down

Post by Caster3845 2/19/2022, 7:29 pm

For the last ten years I have used a rosin bag that I got from a bowling alley. You might also be able to pick one up from a sporting goods store that carries softball or baseball equipment. I think mine cost me around a dollar. They might have gone up since then. I also keep mine in a plastic bag so it doesn't absorb moisture and become hard.
Caster3845
Caster3845

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce martindale 2/20/2022, 11:12 am

Make sure you don't get any on your ammo....it makes a tough to remove burned in chamber deposit that removes all the fun from your day...

bruce martindale

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t20747-feeling-center-a-10-bullsey

Back to top Go down

Post by fc60 2/20/2022, 12:33 pm

Greetings,

My bottle is red in color and dates back to the 1990's.

Since I switched to the Hogue grips, I have not used it.

Cheers,

Dave
fc60
fc60

Back to top Go down

Post by Jwhelan939 2/20/2022, 12:47 pm

When you say house rubber grips, do you mean the finger thing with the finger groves, or actual slabs made of rubber? I had no luck with the finger groove thing.

fc60 wrote:Greetings,

My bottle is red in color and dates back to the 1990's.

Since I switched to the Hogue grips, I have not used it.

Cheers,

Dave

Jwhelan939

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down