Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who made the threaded extension tube for Matchdot rear

+3
bruce martindale
chiz1180
Jack H
7 posters

Go down

Who made the threaded extension tube for Matchdot rear Empty Who made the threaded extension tube for Matchdot rear

Post by Jack H Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:43 am

I have one and could use more
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Who made the threaded extension tube for Matchdot rear Empty Re: Who made the threaded extension tube for Matchdot rear

Post by chiz1180 Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:45 am

Doug Hall makes them, not sure if he has any right now though, they are not listed on his sight but he usually has them at Perry.

https://www.dheco.com/products.html
chiz1180
chiz1180

Back to top Go down

Who made the threaded extension tube for Matchdot rear Empty Re: Who made the threaded extension tube for Matchdot rear

Post by bruce martindale Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:43 pm

Ummm, Alex at PhotoEscape?

bruce martindale

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t20747-feeling-center-a-10-bullsey

Back to top Go down

Post by RoyDean Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:59 pm

I will let AP respond re' his products. 

But this is an example of one of the VERY frustrating aspects of UD sights - thread sizes. The rear tube on the 30mm models is their 30mm "small" thread, whilst the front tube has their 30mm "large" thread and the matching UD extension tube will only fit in front. UD do not seem to be able to offer trim rings to adapt the rear "small" thread - I have asked several times, but the sales team do not quite "get" this technical problem and kept sending me the same "large" trim rings which now sit unused in my UD parts box.

Ho hum!

RoyDean

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Mon Mar 07, 2022 4:21 pm

Also possibly Jon Shue
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PhotoEscape Mon Mar 07, 2022 6:46 pm

RoyDean wrote:I will let AP respond re' his products. 

But this is an example of one of the VERY frustrating aspects of UD sights - thread sizes. The rear tube on the 30mm models is their 30mm "small" thread, whilst the front tube has their 30mm "large" thread and the matching UD extension tube will only fit in front. UD do not seem to be able to offer trim rings to adapt the rear "small" thread - I have asked several times, but the sales team do not quite "get" this technical problem and kept sending me the same "large" trim rings which now sit unused in my UD parts box.

Ho hum!
Roy is rightfully frustrated about UD's treads.  For me it was more than frustrating as it spills into the huge cost.  So I stopped chasing UD with ever changing pattern, and machined adapter rings.  You can buy any UD's extension tubes from their website (BTW - you will find that now UD offers multiple versions based on serial numbers.  Dah.........!), and if it doesn't fit, I most definitely have conversion ring for it. 

AP
PhotoEscape
PhotoEscape
Admin

bruce martindale, chopper and sayracin like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck Sat Mar 12, 2022 2:16 pm

I thread the tubes on my lathe, can cut any metric thread and have made a few tubes for the rear of a Match Dot, Sighton scopes too. Delrin comes only in black or white. But I have Acrylic (Plexiglass) in quite a few colors so I can make Ghost ring. I have seen Red Delrin or it does seem to be Delrin and have a piece I can make rear tube. If my memory is correct the Match Dot has the same thread pitch as the front but smaller diameter in rear. The thread diameter for the front is not 30mm, the tube OD is 30mm. Again if my memory is correct the front thread diameter is 27mm.

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H Sat Mar 12, 2022 10:30 pm

After looking at the threads on all my UDs, there are two thread sizes.  Large and small.

Large are the regular front extensions.  These large threads also fit SOME 30mm rear threads.  This gives me my ideal configuration using a 30mm SILVER trim ring as the Dr Wong concentric ring thing. The perfect setup.

Small diameter threads are what the 30mm polarizer has.  Small are in the front of the 30mm trim ring to accept the polarizer.  And small threads are on SOME of the 30mm UD rear. 

The 30mm trim ring serves as an adapter for the polarizer to mount on the large threaded front extension.

The polarizer BTW will fit in the small rear of the 30mm UD with small threads there.

What we need desperately is an adapter in the reverse of the present 30mm trim ring. 
This new ring will have small polarizer size MALE threads, and adapt to large regular front extension FEMALE threads.

The top UD has same large threads front and back.
Bottom UD has large in front and small (polarizer) threads in back. 
The top set up is what I want for the bottom UD.  Three times.
Who made the threaded extension tube for Matchdot rear 100-0440

Any takers?
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by PhotoEscape Sat Mar 12, 2022 10:43 pm

Jack H wrote:What we need desperately is an adapter in the reverse of the present 30mm trim ring. 
This new ring will have small polarizer size MALE threads, and adapt to large regular front extension FEMALE threads.

The top UD has same large threads front and back.
Bottom UD has large in front and small (polarizer) threads in back. 
The top set up is what I want for the bottom UD.  Three times.
Who made the threaded extension tube for Matchdot rear 100-0440

Any takers?
https://www.photoescapeinc.com/products/aperture-rings-kit.html  - see last item on right side on this page.

AP
PhotoEscape
PhotoEscape
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck Sat Mar 12, 2022 11:21 pm

I'll check my Match dot to see what the threads are, I know the internal threads are not 30 mm because the OD of the tube is 30mm. But I made thread gauges so I can check them and can use them to determine size. I still have them! Someplace I have a polarizing filter. I can check the threads if I can find it and make an adapter.
 Not sure if I'll get to my shop today, it's snowing! However if someone has the filter even a broken one with the threads that's all I need. A long tube will also reduce light entering the scope.

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H Sat Mar 12, 2022 11:52 pm

Photo, link no work.  But I got there through the website.

What I need is an adapter between the small (polarizer thread) rear of the scope and the large thread UD extension.  Or a full extension with small male threads and large female threads.  Either in black. 

Who made the threaded extension tube for Matchdot rear 100-0441

Do the apertures thread to the UD extension (large thread)?
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by PhotoEscape Sun Mar 13, 2022 12:48 am

I standardized apertures to have UD small thread.  Thus if you plan on using apertures, I'd suggest keeping front with small tread, and converting back to small thread.  I do have either conversion rings available, and have ample stock as of today.

AP
PhotoEscape
PhotoEscape
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H Sun Mar 13, 2022 2:49 am

Specifically, does the adapter or tube choice have small male threads and large female threads?
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by PhotoEscape Sun Mar 13, 2022 3:10 am

Jack H wrote:Specifically, does the adapter or tube choice have small male threads and large female threads?
Jack,
I don't understand your question.  I have adapters that have small male / large female or small female / large male UD threads.  Not sure what tube you are asking about.  I didn't bother to machine any tubes with UD threads.  These can be purchased directly from Ultradot USA.  The only "tubes" I make are for Aimpoints converting to UD small threads so Apertures can be used with AP dots.

AP
PhotoEscape
PhotoEscape
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H Sun Mar 13, 2022 5:39 am

PhotoEscape wrote:
Jack H wrote:Specifically, does the adapter or tube choice have small male threads and large female threads?
Jack,
I don't understand your question.  I have adapters that have small male / large female or small female / large male UD threads.  Not sure what tube you are asking about.  I didn't bother to machine any tubes with UD threads.  These can be purchased directly from Ultradot USA.  The only "tubes" I make are for Aimpoints converting to UD small threads so Apertures can be used with AP dots.

AP

An adapter with small male / large female for the UD sounds like what I mean. 
Your other adapter sounds like the same thread configuration as the UD 30mm trim ring.

I will get on the website for three small male / large female UD adapters
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:29 pm

I got Photo's adapters and one aperture.  Very good looking parts.
Now I can screw the UD tube onto the Matchdot rear and use the UD silver ring for the concentric Dr Wong circles.  See previous pictures here
https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t13450-photoescape-aperture-ring-kit
https://www.photoescapeinc.com/products/index.html
The aperture fits front or rear now.  The aperture on the front might be great for SF along with the silver UD ring.  Seems to add to the concentric theory.  I am skeptical about using that tiny window for T&R.

Can we discuss the aperture specifics?  Size?  Front and or back aperture?.

I believe I shall also try the Photo primer tube ends and a powder through die very soon.  I have 2 Dillon 550 but I think I like the Hornady powder measure on them better than the Dillon.  I also have the LnL progressive but have never totally assembled it. 

This summer I hope to get back to some semi serious shooting.  But 97y.o. Mother comes first.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down