Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Supermatic Trophy trigger problem

+3
TicTocer
shooter12
OldShooter43
7 posters

Go down

Supermatic Trophy trigger problem Empty Supermatic Trophy trigger problem

Post by OldShooter43 3/19/2022, 10:49 am

I picked up a Supermatic Model 107 that is cosmetically pristine and appeared to be mechanically OK.  However, when I fired it at the range the trigger wouldn't fully reset and had to be pushed forward slightly to fire the next round.  I did field strip it and lubed it before trying again with both CCI SV and Aguila Super Extra SV .22 ammo.  The problem still exists.  Before I do a more detailed takedown I thought perhaps someone here might have some insight on the probable cause of the malfunction.  When fired, the action cycles normally and chambers the next round fully using both of the magazines that I have.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.  I do have a Wolff Service Pack with all of the springs.

Thanks,

Jim

OldShooter43

Back to top Go down

Supermatic Trophy trigger problem Empty Re: Supermatic Trophy trigger problem

Post by shooter12 3/19/2022, 4:06 pm

Your problem brought back a memory for me from about 1974.  I had the same problem with my new Supermatic Trophy.  It turns out that there was a burr in the frame cutout that the trigger fits into.  A small file took care of the problem.  In the case of my gun the problem only showed up when the gun was fired left handed.  It was 100% reliable when fired right handed.

Bruce

shooter12

Back to top Go down

Post by TicTocer 3/20/2022, 12:22 pm

I have another 22LR pistol that has soft reset when shot left handed sometimes does not reset.. Swapped triggers and problem started. Will check for burr.

TicTocer

Back to top Go down

Post by OldShooter43 3/20/2022, 12:51 pm

I read some articles on other forums that mentioned that the sear bar, PN 10911, occasionally had rough spots on the backside or grit had worked its way underneath it.  I'll do another takedown and remove the side plate , and the sear bar this time.  I guess I should go ahead and remove the trigger if I don't find anything wrong with the sear bar or the sear bar spring.  The plating on the trigger is somewhat pitted, so I may go ahead and replace it with a blued trigger at some point.  I'll let you folks know how that turns out.

OldShooter43

Back to top Go down

Post by Coupebuilder 3/20/2022, 4:10 pm

Gritty trigger after years of no use is common in these, also sometimes the obvious is overlooked and the trigger stop is set too long. shorten him up if necessary and then re-try. My Citation sat for 30 years in a family safe and did the same thing. put a few drops of oil in trigger area and worked it for several minutes now its a dream. Just sold a NOS gold trigger too or could have helped with that.

Coupebuilder

Back to top Go down

Post by OldShooter43 3/20/2022, 5:01 pm

I did lube the trigger area with Kroil oil and worked the trigger a good bit with no luck.  When the trigger is pulled back it returns, but sluggishly.  I'm going to do a more detailed strip this week to see what's what and will remove the trigger in the process.  Sorry that I missed your NOS trigger but will polish mine up a bit while it's out.

Here's a link to a pretty good video of a complete detailed strip if anyone is interested. Unfortunately, the full-sized option isn't available.
JE

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=444354

OldShooter43

Back to top Go down

Post by Nopro 3/22/2022, 1:10 am

Before you do anything to the gun try this first. Take the grips off the gun (watch out for the little spring under the grip). Spray the crap out of it with Birchwood Casey Gun Blaster cleaner. Make sure to hit all the internal parts. Let it dry, then spray it with a light aerosol lubricant. Wipe off the excess and reassemble the gun. Test it with a snap cap in place. Never dry fire it. If it doesn't work at least you have a clean gun. Over the years these guns develop gunk inside them. I've had to do this twice in the 45 years I've had mine. My old gunsmith taught me this.

Nopro

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H 3/22/2022, 1:37 am

The V spring on the trigger bar is what resets the trigger.  Take the left grip and side plate off and make sure the bar moves freely, and the spring is functional. 
The bar to frame surfaces might be a hangup, the safe on the bar in front of the disconnect bump, the bar pin in the trigger, the bar working with the slide disconnect function, and the bars hook to the sear. 
Have the slide off, and ease the hammer to fired position.  Then hold everything in place and watch the trigger system work the sear.  Lastly, maybe the side plate interferes, but I have never seen that.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by OldShooter43 3/22/2022, 5:14 am

Thanks for the info Jack and Nopro.  I've done a more detailed strip and removed there trigger.  We'll see how it works after a thorough cleanup and reassembly.  I think that the problem is/was apparent in the photo of the trigger below.  Oddly, despite the rust on the trigger and a little on the trigger pin, there was no rust on the frame in that area.  Sorry for the fuzzy pic.
Supermatic Trophy trigger problem Img_1110

OldShooter43

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H 3/22/2022, 6:52 am

Original HS triggers are can look like they are corroded.  But I think it really is a flaking of the material from how they are made.  There is a name for it I can't recall.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 3/22/2022, 10:47 am

Exfoliation corrosion.  Metal and post-treatment specific.  However, steels tend to not exfoliate just rusting away.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down